X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cazten
    • Jul 2009

DIY project help

Hey guys, im looking to build the Seas excel w15/Hiquphon OW1 monitors designed from http://www.troelsgravesen.dk/W15.htm
    Before i go any further, I was really wanting to build a Excel/Hiquphon combo but if anyone out there has recomendations for a similarly priced or cheaper combo (that already has a complete design published) that they feel outperforms this combo I'd like to hear opinions.

Now to the crux of the matter. If i build these I'll be looking to add a woofer to each monitor. Doesnt need to actually be built into the same box, but ill have them stacked in such a way that its essentially a 3way system. My goal is to have something that can seemlessly blend into the w15 and produce a very substantial amount of bass so that a seperate subwoofer system is unessesary. Basically the most accurate, lowest dropping woofer (10inch or smaller, 8in prefered) that will blend nicely into the w15. Price cap is approx 100 per speaker. Something popular that i can scrape up used on this forum or another would be great too.
    So as for my round of questions in regards to this.
    1. What would be your recomendations for the woofer choice.
    2. Would a x-over design be simple enough for this? I've never done one and it is the primary reason im picking pre-designed systems. I'd need to do something that both matched the w15 freq responce curve seamless, and match the impedience/output levels.

Another question has to do with amplification. I was planning on just buying an a/v hometheater receiver to power this system. probably 80ish watts per channel. That seems like plenty for the monitors, but seems low to me when mixing in the woofer. Since all these A/V recievers have 5+ channels usually would it be ok to have 2 channels running the monitors, and two seperate channels running the woofers? Would this bring up complications in terms of matching volume output between monitor and woofer?

Thanks
  • Jed
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Apr 2005

Originally posted by cazten
    H
    1. What would be your recomendations for the woofer choice.
    2. Would a x-over design be simple enough for this?

Thanks
    1.) Seas L26 or L26ROY
    2.) It will need a completely new crossover.

The W15CY is a bright sounding driver when not crossed below 2.2-2.5k IMO. The OW1 gets stressed below 2.5k in my experience. I know people have taken the OW1 down to 2.2k (myself included) but it's more comfortable when crossed over higher. Unfortunately the W15CY is not comfortable playing high.

Comment

• Dean100
      • Jan 2007

If you go with an active crossover then you won't need a new crossover. Do a search for Bass Bins.

Comment

• JonMarsh
        Mad Max Moderator
        • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Jed
        1.) Seas L26 or L26ROY
        2.) It will need a completely new crossover.

The W15CY is a bright sounding driver when not crossed below 2.2-2.5k IMO. The OW1 gets stressed below 2.5k in my experience. I know people have taken the OW1 down to 2.2k (myself included) but it's more comfortable when crossed over higher. Unfortunately the W15CY is not comfortable playing high.
        What Jed said, squared. :W

The problem is that the W15CY has a BIG upper end resonance, and even when you suppress it in the crossover, that provides resonance amplification of distortion products from fundamentals below that, particularly 3rd order. It only tends to be a happy camper with lower crossover frequencies and tweeters that a comfortable lower down. Just not really a good driver match.

What you're really talking about is making a three way speaker. If so, try finding a proven three way design that appeals to you and is well engineered. Just trying to graft things together usually ends ugly- there are too many interactions to deal with unless you're an experienced three way crossover designer- which is not the same thing as an experienced two way designer! :W
        the AudioWorx
        Natalie P
        M8ta
        Modula Neo DCC
        Modula MT XE
        Modula Xtreme
        Isiris
        Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
        Minerva Monitor
        Calliope
        Ardent D

In Development...
        Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
        Obi-Wan
        Saint-Saƫns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
        Modula PWB
        Calliope CC Supreme
        Natalie P Ultra
        Natalie P Supreme
        Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
        Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• tf1216
          • Apr 2006

Hey Caz,

We spoke on e-mail last night. If you are thinking about buying a receiver to power the speakers then I do not think the Excel line should be a given in your choice of drivers.

This is my opinion which will differ from others but I feel a difference does exist when comparing a receiver versus a standalone amplifier.

Why not consider this design by Dennis Murphy?

Or

You could start here with John's W15CY design and add a woofer with an active crossover.

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"