X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • smitty611
    • Jul 2009

First DIY: WMTMW cc build: Help!

Greetings all,

Long time reader, first time poster…please be gentle…or not…

The reason we are gathered together here today is because of Frodaddy’s custom Statement center channel (http://www.htguide.com/forum/showthread.php4?t=31523) and ultimately Jed's Dynamic 2CC. Absolutely beautiful design(s) guys! I became completely enamored with this layout when I first saw and read about it. It got me to revisit my stockpile of random drivers I’ve accumulated over “my single years” and got me interested in trying my first home audio DIY project (Yes, I know this is about 17 levels beyond where I should start!).

Here are some facts of the case at hand:

(1) I’m a noob. Duh. All prior DIY projects have been on the car audio side of things -- started as an SPL basshead then grew to the SQ side. I think my biggest concern over building something like this is the crossover itself. I wouldn’t say my ears are finely tuned. Years of car audio SPL contests have no doubt destroyed parts of my hearing. Would someone answer that d@*n phone?! I’m skeptical that I’d notice the subtle nuances in hearing that you folks have developed so I don’t know how intricate I need to go with the crossover at first, nor do I want to spend a fortune on the crossover BOM. I’m willing to give it a shot and see how it sounds then tweak as necessary.

(2) I’m an artist, not an engineer. I’ve spent the last few weeks pining over everything I could get my hands on regarding building something similar to Frodaddy/Jed's cc. Somewhere between Zobel networks and notch filters part of my brain imploded, so I decided to pause and consider asking you kind folks for some advice. I do have friends who are much more inclined to handle the intricacies of crossover building so I will lean on them as much as possible!

(3) Here are the drivers I have readily available that I’d like to use to create something like Frodaddy/Jed's. Bear in mind these were obviously not specifically selected to match one another for this project(did I break the first rule already?)…but if I try to justify buying more speakers to my wife I’ll end up on the front lawn, hence the need to use what is available.

Spec sheets attached

---- Woofers (x2): 6.5” Dynaudio 17 WLQ (4ohm) unsheilded --- I'd totally go for the 4CC if I had two more of these beauties!
    ---- Mids (x2): 4” Morel MW114S (8ohm)
    ---- Tweeter (x1): Vifa D26TG-35-06 (6ohm)

(4) Currently I have no cc. I have a pair of lovely Maggie MMGs flanking my TV (not a CRT). 90% of my time is spent watching movies…not listening to music…oddly enough. The maggies are obviously a unique listening experience but are also temperamental, for lack of a better word, and I’m no longer content with the phantom center. I’d like to refine the middle of the front stage for movie viewing and will consider removing the maggies altogether after building this cc if they don’t play nice; then building a better matched box speaker system (that is, whenever the wife will allow). I have a sub already to try building as well.

From what I’ve read, various concerns over the off-axis response, lobing and whatnot with the two mids have pushed me toward a more conventional 0:0 design. But I like the WMTMW layout and I just plain don’t wanna go the other route. Plus then I’d have a lonely mid with no home. Cabinet height is a concern as well. Need to stay under 9.5" if possible to fit under my TV. Also, currently the closest listening position is only about 25 degrees off-axis.

** Ultimate question: Is building this CC using these drivers feasible? **

Any advice/guidance/warnings would be most welcome.

Thanks in advance! Sorry for the long post.

Ryan
    Attached Files
  • Jed
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Apr 2005

Can you design a crossover? That's the hard part and already done in the 2CC design. Also I don't have a problem with lobing in these designs because the drivers are pushed next to eachother to minimize CTC spacing. The power response is very flat. Now, if you were to do an WMTMW with them all in a row on the same axis; then yes, you would have problems. There is more than one reason for the layout I used in the 2CC and 4CC.

Comment

• smitty611
      • Jul 2009

I don't doubt your prowess one bit! Your designs are gorgeous and really the reason I looked into this at all. I'm afraid my crossover abilities are severely lacking for this project. I had even considered the sin of a prefab network from PE (the 375hz/3k 3way) as at least a starting point. Then figured if I could wrap my head around at least some of the ins-n-outs a little more I'd be further ahead building a custom crossover. I was afraid the dual 8ohm mids would present a roadblock. And I assumed the crossover you had designed would be dramatically different for my driver combination. Am I off base there? If you'd be willing to offer any major pitfalls you foresee with this driver combination I would greatly appreciate it. I'll put in the time to figure it out.

Comment

• HareBrained
        • Jul 2008

Hi Smitty,

The drivers you have can certainly be made into a WMTMW but the quality may not be what you expect. It's sorta a joke around the DIY audio sites that a newbie asks if someone can help him design a 3-way. You could probably search for "newbie" and over half will be about a 3-way design needing help. You've gone one better in tackling a CC 3-way with 2 woofers and 2 mids.

MTM centers are difficult to get right. They're often "aimed" off axis since their placement is less than optimal. And the horizontal combing caused by the two mid drivers must be addressed. And you can double that for the woofers.

I'm guessing you haven't designed a set of speakers yet, correct? Do you have surrounds? Perhaps you should consider getting your feet wet there? You can learn a lot from designing a simple 2-way as the problems are easier to solve but the process is the same.

Since you've chosen some older drivers, you're going to want to measure their performance. There's a very good chance that none of your drivers will have the T/S parameters even close to that published data. Deviations occur from batch to batch. If you design to the spec sheets, the probability of it sound good is very low.

This doesn't mean you can't give it a shot. In the end, your first efforts may cost only $50 in xover components and $50 in wood. Don't start with the PE canned xover because you'll just end up swapping out all the components for ones of different values. There are several design thru simulation threads here and on Parts Express's Tech Talk forum. I suggest you start there.
        John

Comment

• ThomasW
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

It's difficult if not impossible to match a point source dynamic driver center to line source planar mains. It becomes a situation of trying to make apples and oranges taste the same.

IMO as a 20+yr user of planar mains, the best solution is to use one of the Maggie centers, or make a center using lines of the B&G Neo3/Neo8 flanked by dynamic driver woofers operating open baffle.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• smitty611
            • Jul 2009

John ---
            Haha! Yeah, I know. And I normally don't post such horribly noob questions. I think I just wanted to know from some seasoned vets if they thought the drivers I have "in stock" would even work for this particular application. If so then I'm sure I can put something together that will at least suit my tastes/expectations. Honestly, at this point I probably won't go the extent of measuring the drivers...which means I'm more or less flying blind (if you don't think the spec sheets are reliable)...which means I'll probably end up spending more time/money revisiting the crossover components than I would have otherwise...but that's the journey, yeah? By the time I get the box built I will likely change my tune. I'm much more confident in my woodworking/finishing abilities so I intend to spend the time making this sucker look sharp...which means I'll probably by then want to take the measurements and whatnot so everything sounds as sharp as it will hopefully look. I'm very pumped about the external after seeing many of the designs out there. Is that like the cart leading the horse? That story didn't end well, I don't think...

Thomas ---
            Yeah, I wasn't really holding out much hope that the maggies would work well with this center channel. I don't really have the room/setup right now for a maggie center, I don't think. The wifey wants them out of the room anyway. :cry: And I've just grown away from the maggie's sound for movies. That's in large part to not having an active sub currently though. This is just the beginning of a makeshift HT setup which will undoubtedly never end.

Thanks for the replies

Comment

• ThomasW
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2000

Roman has a good tutorial on using the FRD tools to design speakers

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• smitty611
                • Jul 2009

I read that actually, but I couldn't get SPL Trace to run on Windows XP Pro. I did manage to finally get FRD and ZDA data from another spreadsheet to import into Jeff Bagby's Passive Crossover Designer spreadsheet. I couldn't get much info on the Vifa tweeter though. Guess that's what I get for using older drivers!

This is probably a dumb question but how can I wire the two 8ohm mids optimally? Do I just go parallel for a 4ohm load? I was going to go series on the 4ohm woofers and pad the tweeter to 8ohm.

Comment

• ThomasW
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Aug 2000

If your amp will drive a 4 ohm load that's the way to go

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"