Looking for something to match my mains!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nathan P
    • Mar 2006

Looking for something to match my mains!

Alright! I moved into a new place and finally have space and the will to finish out my HT setup. I have a secondhand amp and my mains (Design here: http://www.htguide.com/forum/showthread.php4?t=27055) so I need some surrounds and a center channel. (Only 5.1 for now ) I was thinking of doing Zaph's B3S design for the rears just to save some money and space, I'm a college student and those two things are sometimes limited! But I'm not sure. My biggest problem is that my tweeters are customized like so: http://www.partsexpress.com/projects...kdome/mod.html and I don't think I have the ability to customize another set to match them any better than a different tweeter (Different fill, etc could change it, and I don't have a mic to measure them. Plus, I wasn't the one that modified them so I wouldn't know exactly how to make them, props to KJP on that one! Thanks man!)

I definitely want something for the center that matches sound wise. Would one of John's budget builds work well in conjunction with my speakers? I don't care if it needs to be vertical, laying down would be cool but I'm using a projector so I have plenty of space below.

Maybe use the DA175 again but use a different tweet? I'm not sure. I'd like to not do a complete design myself again (time is somewhat limited and for one speaker it just doesn't quite seem worth it) but if anyone still has those laying around from when they were given away a couple years ago (How I got mine) and doesn't want them I'll take any and all of them off your hands

Thanks,
    Nathan
  • Nathan P
    • Mar 2006

*crickets* haha

Nathan

Comment

• ThomasW
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

Why reinvent the wheel?

Build another 'main' for your center, and use the same drivers but put them in a smaller cabinet for the rears.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Nathan P
        • Mar 2006

Not sure if I have the ability to modify the tweeter as shown in the link to match the mains. I don't personally have a measurement mic to adjust the airspace and packing in the modification, and the current ones are all sealed up so there's no way for me to see in there.

Unless you think using the unmodified tweeter would be close enough, but from what I've read those tweeters are less than impressive unmodified.

Nathan

Comment

• ThomasW
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

Then look at CJD MTM center channel using the RSS150

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Nathan P
            • Mar 2006

No one else has input

Comment

• fbov
              • Jun 2008

I think it's more that no one else has better input.

In you case, I would probably build a 3rd main for the CC, using the same XO and drivers (if available) - Thomas' first suggestion. That way, if you hear a mismatch due to the tweeter mods in your mains (and this is a real "if"), you already have a tweeter to modify. If you don't hear a difference, more's the better.

For surrounds, the B3S will do, but I'd consider building 2 more like the CC if the budget allows and the CC turns out well. Long term, this is likely to end up a basement or bedroom system regardless, so choose what fits your budget and go have some fun!

Frank

Comment

• Nathan P
                • Mar 2006

That's a possibility, although I'd probably go sealed on the rears to get a smaller box, as is my mains are LARGE.

Comment

• Nathan P
                  • Mar 2006

Was wondering, Since I'm never going to run even the center without surrounds, could I make it sealed to? Or would that change the sound signature too much?

Thanks,
                  Nathan

Comment

• 1Michael
                    • Sep 2006

Yes :T
                    Michael
                    Chesapeake Va.

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"