first crossovers, please take a look and double check me...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Txgrizzly
    • Jun 2009

first crossovers, please take a look and double check me...

Guys,
    here is my 1st attempt at making my own crossover so please be gentle. it is for a set of RS150MT with no "BSC"

1st link is the schematic
    2nd pic is the tweeter xover
    3rd pic is the mid/woofer xover
    Attached Files
  • cjd
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Dec 2004

Looks right to me.
    diVine Sound - my DIY speaker designs at diVine Audio

Comment

• JonMarsh
      Mad Max Moderator
      • Aug 2000

When are you going to hook them up? Proof is in the pudding, they say... :W
      the AudioWorx
      Natalie P
      M8ta
      Modula Neo DCC
      Modula MT XE
      Modula Xtreme
      Isiris
      Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
      Minerva Monitor
      Calliope
      Ardent D

In Development...
      Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
      Obi-Wan
      Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
      Modula PWB
      Calliope CC Supreme
      Natalie P Ultra
      Natalie P Supreme
      Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
      Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Txgrizzly
        • Jun 2009

I am hoping to cut and glue up the enclosures this weekend. i will probably assemble them early next week and give them a listen... if i like the way they sound i am going to build two more for my 7.1 surround set up i am building. i am still kinda tossed up on whether to put them in a sealed enclosure or ported. this will be used 80% HT and 100% surround duty if that makes sense. i have a Velodyne sub so the ULF's will be going to it but i dont know if they would match up better to the sub in a ported or sealed enclosure. any thoughts on it?
        I know this is supposed to go into a .25cf sealed or a .50 ported but kinda sketchy on the length and diameter of the port to get the correct tuning.

Comment

• Dave Bullet
          • Jul 2007

Put a multimeter across the terminals to measure resistance before hooking them up to your amp. Just to ensure you don't have a short in there.

Comment

• Txgrizzly
            • Jun 2009

Dave, thanks for the advice. couple of questions.

1. which set of terminals - the input side or output
            2. should i just be looking to make sure it shows an open or should there be some sort of impedence on the path?

Comment

• cjd
              Ultra Senior Member
              • Dec 2004

Personally, I prefer sealed for things like HT, especially surround duty where crossing a little higher isn't quite as crucial (80-100Hz for these). The excursion limits are more an issue and the chance that you have output going to these below tuning frequency risks big bursts in that range and unloading a bit too much.

C

Comment

• Txgrizzly
                • Jun 2009

well i have the enclosures cut, glued and have started putting the finish on them. all in all i am pretty pleased with how they are turning out. i cant wait to hear them... then i get to decide on building two more of these for my 7.1 system or start over with a different design for the surrounds.. i have taken a couple build photos and will take some once i am complete. its hard to put down the sandpaper and pick up a camera though...

Added a pic
                Attached Files
                Last edited by Txgrizzly; 29 June 2009, 21:24 Monday.

Comment

• Txgrizzly
                  • Jun 2009

pic of one of cabinets added

Comment

• cjd
                    Ultra Senior Member
                    • Dec 2004

Looking good.

Comment

• Dave Bullet
                      • Jul 2007

Originally posted by Txgrizzly
                      Dave, thanks for the advice. couple of questions.

1. which set of terminals - the input side or output
                      2. should i just be looking to make sure it shows an open or should there be some sort of impedence on the path?
                      Hi there,
                      1. The speaker binding posts = the input side. (ie. speaker disconnected from your amplifier). That is you complete wiring up the drivers and crossover, then put the multimeter on the ohms setting and measure resistance across the terminals / binding posts (assuming on the back of your speaker enclosure) which you would connect wires to from your amplifier.
                      2. If it is open - then there is a break in the circuit. Look at the tweeter circuit first as capacitors block DC (which is what the multi-meter uses to test resistance). If it is closed - you'll get a reading. You do not want to see a short (ie. <1 ohm reading) - this will kill your amplifier. If you are building a nominally 8 ohm rated speaker. You should have a reading of about 6 ohm+. A nominally 4 ohm speaker will have a reading of about 3 ohm +. What you are measuring is essentially the woofer circuit (remember capacitors in series block DC)

Cheers,
                      Dave.

Comment

• Txgrizzly
                        • Jun 2009

Thanks Dave i will do this before i hook them up... am getting ready to start mounting the drivers cross overs and insulate the cabinets today...i might get to hear these tonight if all goes well.

Comment

• cjd
                          Ultra Senior Member
                          • Dec 2004

Just make sure you measure impedance with the speaker attached!

Comment

• Txgrizzly
                            • Jun 2009

well i got the speakers together last night and the both measured 7.1 ohms at the binding posts so i guess i got pretty close.

now for my impressions:
                            1. the Mids and Highs are crisp and clean and the sound field is very large. they really fill the room.
                            2. i know these are not going to be bass heavy speakers but i really expected more bass out of them. i went with the sealed cabinet and insulated the inside with 1" sealed cell foam.
                            3. i have a pair of paradigm's that are the same size almost that are in ported cabinets and they have alot more bass.

Question:
                            1. will putting more loose padding up the bass any?
                            2. how much more bass could i expect if i went with the larger ported cabinet?

here are couple pics of one of the speakers. for some reason the pics came out blurry
                            Attached Files

Comment

• Dennis H
                              Ultra Senior Member
                              • Aug 2002

set of RS150MT with no "BSC"
                              i really expected more bass out of them.
                              That's why you need to use BSC. A non-BSC crossover is like turning the bass control down.

Comment

• ---k---
                                Ultra Senior Member
                                • Nov 2005

Like Dennis said. Make sure you're listening to them up against the wall. Where you locate them will make a big difference in the bass. Placing them against the wall will raise the bass approximately 6db.

Adding fill will slight increase the bass extension, but can slightly reduce the output. You might want to try removing some of the padding to reduce the box size and create peaky more boomy bass. Some like this. Others like rather dry bass.

I've heard an another speaker designs with an RS150 in a ported box at DIY Iowa 2008. It produced surprising amounts of bass. Very satisfactory. So, it isn't the driver.
                                - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
                                CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
                                CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

• Txgrizzly
                                  • Jun 2009

thanks guys, i will try the things you suggest. if i wanted to add a little BSC back into the crossover how would i do it? the crossover design is on the 1st post...

Comment

• Dennis H
                                    Ultra Senior Member
                                    • Aug 2002

Who designed the crossover? Is there a version with BSC?

Comment

• Txgrizzly
                                      • Jun 2009

i found the post where he shows it with BSC its under the Missions accomplished titled RS150MT and its on about page 3 of the post. two of the coils, two of the resistors and 3 of the caps are different. there is also an extra resistor in the tweeter path. it would be easier i think to just build new crossovers if i went that route

Comment

• Dennis H
                                        Ultra Senior Member
                                        • Aug 2002

Have you tried your receiver's auto-eq? It may be able to boost the bass up to where it should be.

Comment

• ---k---
                                          Ultra Senior Member
                                          • Nov 2005

CJD did the crossover. I skimmed the first two pages, I beleive this post has both the full BCS and the no-BSC parts list:

There are schematics just a tad further down in the thread.

I think once you slam them up against the wall, you'll get more bass. Definitely try your receiver's EQ or just use the tone control. Seriously.
                                          - Ryan

Comment

• Txgrizzly
                                            • Jun 2009

thanks guys... i put them against the wall and used a little bass in the tone control. they are still a little light on the bass but they are so clear and imersive that i dont want to screw with them... these are going to be pure surround speakers once i get my new home theatre built so i dont see that as going to be a problem. now i am looking at starting my next project. i want to build a Sonotube sub. i want to thank everyone who helped me on this project especially Thomas for answering all my stupid beginner questions.

Here is a better pic of the finished product.
                                            Attached Files

Comment

• Dean100
                                              • Jan 2007

Those look great, very nice job for your first ones. You may get a bit more bass after they break in for a little while and as you say for surround duty they should be fine.

Comment

• Txgrizzly
                                                • Jun 2009

Thanks Dean, i have been doing wood working for a while and this falls right in with that hobby. my next speaker i am going to build is a SONOTUB sub... should be interesting. just now looking at parts lists and designs...

Comment

• ---k---
                                                  Ultra Senior Member
                                                  • Nov 2005

Wow. Those look great. If I didn't know any better, I would have thought that was a premade PE box.

For a surround, you really don't need the bass. But, if you ever want to play with them, there could be lots of things to tweak, such as the stuffing, the inductor size, or maybe padding the tweeter down a hair. Let them break in, enjoy them a bit, build some mains, then come back to this one.
                                                  - Ryan

Comment

• PoorboyMike
                                                    • Oct 2005

Originally posted by Txgrizzly
                                                    2. i know these are not going to be bass heavy speakers but i really expected more bass out of them. i went with the sealed cabinet and insulated the inside with 1" sealed cell foam.
                                                    When you say sealed cell foam, do you mean that if you hold a piece up to your mouth that you can't blow air through it? If that is the case, the foam is just reducing your box volume, which would cause the low end response to roll off sooner.

Comment

Working...
                                                    Searching...Please wait.
                                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                    Search Result for "|||"