X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Delta Dog
    • May 2009

Statements or Statement Monitors + Sub for HT

I have just started a building pair of Statement Monitors. I have read great things about the bass extension of the Statements, but wonder if I should use Monitors and a sub or Statements for my mains in a 5.1 HT. Have some used the Statements crossed over at 60 or 40 Hz with a sub? Is that overkill? Is there such a thing as overkill? My room is 18' 8" x 26' 6".

Delta Dog
  • Jed
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Apr 2005

I'm not Jim, but I'm sure he'll tell you that it's not just about bass extension, it's also how much air is moved. His Statements will move a lot more air than the monitors given the number and size of the drivers. For dynamics in movies the more air that can be moved the better. So go with the Statements in a sealed box with a sub and HP the Statements at 40-60hz based on how it sounds in your room for the most impact. Your room is plenty big enough.

Comment

• ---k---
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Nov 2005

I'm not Jim either, but I'll offer my opinion. The Statements will have great full range bass for music. But for that movie theater experience and shake your sofa feel, you need a dedicated sub with almost any speaker project.
      - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
      CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
      CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

• Jed
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Apr 2005

Originally posted by ---k---
        I'm not Jim either, but I'll offer my opinion. The Statements will have great full range bass for music. But for that movie theater experience and shake your sofa feel, you need a dedicated sub with almost any speaker project.
        Agreed. Like the one's in Ryan's (--k--) avatar should do it.

Comment

• Jim Holtz
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Mar 2005

Yep, what Jed and Ryan said.

Jim

Comment

• Delta Dog
            • May 2009

So sealed Monitors with a sub. I have considered an IB sub since this room is over a garage. I could use a platform to get the shorter sealed Statements up to ear height. Are the sealed Statements better in the lower frequencies (80-100Hz) with less bass extension in the lowest frequencies (30-15 Hz)?

Comment

• Jed
              Ultra Senior Member
              • Apr 2005

You could build the Statements Sealed as is. Then put the sub wherever you want it.

Jed

Comment

• soundemon
                • May 2009

Originally posted by Delta Dog
                So sealed Monitors with a sub. I have considered an IB sub since this room is over a garage. I could use a platform to get the shorter sealed Statements up to ear height. Are the sealed Statements better in the lower frequencies (80-100Hz) with less bass extension in the lowest frequencies (30-15 Hz)?
                This is my plan, an IB built into a false wall (I've got the drivers and the amp, all I need to do is build the room...) and I'm in the midst of building the statements. I plan to cross the L&R at 40Hz, and use them sometimes full-range with music. I'm building the ported version so I dont always NEED to be using the sub. :E
                DIY - once you start down that (dark) path, forever will it dominate your destiny!

Comment

• Jim Holtz
                  Ultra Senior Member
                  • Mar 2005

Here are some thoughts.....

If you have a big sub and are focusing on home theater, you can build the Monitors sealed by simply making the bottom of the mid tunnel solid so the extra volume isn't seen by the woofer. That'll give you a F/3 of about 70 Hz. and should cross to a sub extremely well around 65 Hz. or so. That'd be a good place to start. BUT, be aware that the Monitors are xmax limited to around 104 db per Unibox so large rooms and super high SPL are out.

You can do the same thing with the Mini's and pick up an extra 6 db of SPL and plan on crossing to the sub around 70 Hz. or so.

The sealed Statements come next and can be built full height but with a partition to seal the driver section at a 40" height. The bottom compartment would make a great place for the crossover to be located. The sealed Statements should cross around 40-50 Hz. or so which will provide exceptional mid and upper bass. The maximum SPL should be some where slightly over 110 db.

These are all conservative estimates that I would recommend as a guideline.

HTH

Jim
                  Last edited by Jim Holtz; 19 June 2009, 06:32 Friday.

Comment

• Delta Dog
                    • May 2009

Thanks Jim, That is exactly what I was looking for. Now I just need to get in the shop and get to building!

Would you just seal the mains and leave all surrounds & center ported?

Comment

• Jim Holtz
                      Ultra Senior Member
                      • Mar 2005

Originally posted by Delta Dog
                      Thanks Jim, That is exactly what I was looking for. Now I just need to get in the shop and get to building!

Would you just seal the mains and leave all surrounds & center ported?
                      Yes...

Jim

Comment

• ---k---
                        Ultra Senior Member
                        • Nov 2005

Huh? Won't all the speakers be crossed to a sub? Why not seal all the speakers?
                        - Ryan

Comment

• Jim Holtz
                          Ultra Senior Member
                          • Mar 2005

Originally posted by ---k---
                          Huh? Won't all the speakers be crossed to a sub? Why not seal all the speakers?
                          Hi Ryan,

The sub(s) really integrate with the mains more so than the center or surrounds. If you seal them, you'll give up significant bass capability. The sealed mains provide a 2nd order roll off and seem to integrate better with the sub(s) for less localization. However, I also prefer sealed sub(s) with a F/3 in the 30's-40's range. Combine that with room gain and you end up with very smooth and dynamic bass.

That's been my experience anyway. YMMV... :B

Jim

Comment

• ---k---
                            Ultra Senior Member
                            • Nov 2005

That's reasonable.
                            - Ryan

Comment

• deewan
                              • Feb 2009

Delta Dog. I'm no expert and tech talk escapes me, but here is what I know. I built a pair of Statements, ported. I had a 7.2 setup before containing all Paradigm Monitors. After breaking in the ported Statements, I can't think of a reason why I would ever need a sub for music again. I love the speakers. GREAT JOB JIM, CURT, and WAYNE. Since I had a two sub setup before my Statments, I was planning on keeping both subs. But after hearing the low end of the Statements, I quickly realized, I could almost get away without a sub. The LFE is there even for HT use, it just isn't as bone crushing as it would be with a dedicated sub. However, I ceratinly do not need two subs like I had before.

I think how you have your AVR setup may determine some of your needs too. For instance, I can have my AVR setup to send only LFE to my sub (LFE) or having the LFE and bass below the front channel crossover sent to the sub (LFE + Mains). Since the Statments are full range, I run them as large, have my AVR setup to LFE only, and have the sub crossed at 40Hz. Of my 6 years of HT and trying to tune my room, this is the best sound I have gotten so far by a long shot. The Statements get and handle everything, and the sb kicks in for the true LFE HT use below 40Hz.

That works for me, it may work for you or others.
                              The Old Woods Theater
                              My Various Speaker Builds
                              Statement II Remix build

"Aren't you a little short for a Stormtrooper?"

Comment

• Jim Holtz
                                Ultra Senior Member
                                • Mar 2005

Hi Deewan,

Thank you for your kind thoughts! I'm really pleased that you're enjoying your Statements. I also have ported Statements with a single 15" AV-15 sub and really don't lack for bass on movies at all with that combination. The sub is only used for HT. The Statements handle the bass in music just fine for my tastes.

If you ever get to Des Moines, give me a heads up and you can stop by for a listening session with the rest of the Statements family if you like.

Enjoy!

Jim

Comment

• Delta Dog
                                  • May 2009

Sounds like ported or sealed, the Statements are great for music & HT. I have a little time to decide.

I need to get my monitors built first. I am building 2 switchable monitors to start. I am thinking of solid mahogany baffles and mahogany veneered sides and top. Either veneered or matte black back. I have the MDF cut, I just need to start assembly and order the components and pick out some mahogany. It will be a slow process with a 6 month old and long hours at work buying for my time. I will post picks when I get some progress.

Comment

• FroDaddy
                                    • Mar 2006

For casual listening, TV or a dialog movie, I run my Statements full range without a subwoofer.

99% of the time when watching a movie I run my ported Statements and my custom sealed Statement center as "small" and cross them to my sub at 60Hz.

Comment

• Delta Dog
                                      • May 2009

FroDaddy,

Thanks.

Comment

• mikela
                                        • Mar 2008

I currently have a pair of sealed Statements (now facing straight ahead as the designers recommend :W ) and a Velodyne DD-18 sub that is crossed at 40hz. The Statements are run as "large". Integration is as seamless as I have ever heard and I use the sub for both music and HT. Lately, I have been using a tube PreDAC (Paul Gryzbeck) with the Statements and find it hard to imagine a better sound. However, that won't stop me from trying :B . I haven't heard the ported version of the Statment. So I cannot comment on any differences.

Mike

Comment

Working...
                                        Searching...Please wait.
                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                        Search Result for "|||"