Can someone doublecheck my DIY sub design?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cucamelsmd15
    • Jun 2009

Can someone doublecheck my DIY sub design?

Driver: Dayton RSS390HO-4
    Amp: Dayton SA240
    Box: 20x20x20 cube, double baffle front, internal brace. 3.61 cu ft airspace, minus .12 cu ft for port and 0.26 cu ft for driver. Final airspace is 3.23.

Win ISD plots:

Thoughts and concerns? This is for mainly HT usage in a 13.5wx18dx8.5 high room, so I expect the room gain to fill out the ~20Hz area nicely.
  • ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Room gain won't fill in below the 25Hz Fb since there will be no output below that frequency.

I'm not familiar with that amp, if it doesn't have a hi-pass around 21-22Hz you'll need to buy one otherwise the driver will unload trying to play frequencies below Fb

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• cucamelsmd15
      • Jun 2009

PE says the high pass is F3 at 18db. Is that sufficient?

Other than output below 25Hz, is the design solid? Should I tune for a lower frequency?

Comment

• ThomasW
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

PE says the high pass is F3 at 18db
        This statement makes no sense where did you read it?

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• cucamelsmd15
          • Jun 2009

Originally posted by ThomasW
          This statement makes no sense where did you read it?
          Parts Express. Here:
          Want a second or third opinion about your speaker cabinet design or other audio related problem? Post your question or comment on the Technical Discussion Board. Hundreds of technicians, engineers, and hobbyists, nationwide read and discuss electronics related questions each week. We welcome your participation

Comment

• ThomasW
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2000

Ok so you meant to post F3 is 18Hz, not 18dB?

I'd tune it lower (say 22Hz) if you can live with a larger box

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

• kevinp.
              • Apr 2008

Or go with a 12" since you're giving up so much extension by underpowering

Comment

• cucamelsmd15
                • Jun 2009

Interesting, I modeled the 12" Titanic against the HO, and this was the result.

Looks like significantly better low end in the same size box.

Based on this, should I stick with the HO or go with the Titanic?

Edit: I may step up to the Bash 300w as well.

Comment

• ThomasW
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Aug 2000

Probably want to compare apples to apples as far as box tuning is concerned.

Given it's Pmax the 500 watt Bash amp is a better match for any of the drivers being considered.

If there's an additional $20 in the budget for the driver you might consider the Shiva-X

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

• cucamelsmd15
                    • Jun 2009

The Shiva looks like it will require a larger box than the Titanic. Since Im on a budget (and have a wife :lol: ), the Titanic and the 300W Bash looks like its my best bet.

And of course, I have to leave room for upgrades.

Comment

• cucamelsmd15
                      • Jun 2009

Pulled the trigger on the Titanic 12" and the Bash 300w this morning! :B

Comment

Working...
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"