X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Txgrizzly
    • Jun 2009

would this product work for a Sonotube sub

Guys,
    do you think this would be a good product for a Sonotube or would there be issue with resonance due to it being plastic? looks like it might lend itself well to building a sub out of it.

• ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Can't seem to find any info as to the wall thickness.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Txgrizzly
      • Jun 2009

i just sent them an email...but for what they are supposed to do i will bet they are about 1/4" to 3/8" thick

Comment

• Txgrizzly
        • Jun 2009

well i was wrong, the thickness is around 5/32" so just under 1/4". as this is a circle with its inherent strength of that shape i wonder if this would make it rigid enough.

Comment

• fbov
          • Jun 2008

The real question is if it resonates in the 10-100Hz range where a sub typically operates. Sonotube is inherently non-resonant due to its overlapping spiral ply construction. 48" is 1/4 wave at 70 Hz, if I figured it right, so this stuff might have some odd tangential modes. It wouldn't be hard to brace them out of existance.

OTOH, this would make a great wide-field or 2-piece telescope tube...
          Frank

Comment

• benchtester
            • Sep 2007

Originally posted by Txgrizzly
            well i was wrong, the thickness is around 5/32" so just under 1/4". as this is a circle with its inherent strength of that shape i wonder if this would make it rigid enough.
            Theoretically it is strong/stiff enough. But there are three caveats I can think of off-hand. 1) The end pieces need to be stiff and hold the tube very round (router with hole jig may be good enough). 2) The end caps need to be held together axially. A few screws in to the tube is probably not good enough. A full adhesive joint might work, but internal structure or threaded rod rod would be more reliable. 3) Many audio folks still won't believe that the thin wall is stiff enough.

Comment

• 1Michael
              • Sep 2006

Originally posted by benchtester
              Many audio folks still won't believe that the thin wall is stiff enough.
              LoL, I would invite them over to my house to audition a view of Transformers while I crack their spine with my cardboard RLP-15 Sonosub.
              With at least 2 layers of mdf on the bottom and 3 layers on the top I would say go for it. Just line the tube with some sort of material, and if your concerned glue some 2inch hardwood dowels for cross bracing :T
              Michael
              Chesapeake Va.

Comment

• Txgrizzly
                • Jun 2009

thanks Guys, after pricing it the shipment cost 3 times as much as the actual tube... i think i will stick with locally bought sonotube once i start my sub project...

Comment

• Deward Hastings
                  • Dec 2006

Did you check with a local distributor?

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"