At what frequency does driver spacing no longer matter?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Face
    • Mar 2007

At what frequency does driver spacing no longer matter?

I'm using a LR2ish @ 350hz for my WM crossover. Since the TM and W cabinets are separate, I could flip the W cabinet to either bring the woofer within 16"(center to center) to my mid, or 24"(center to center). I currently have the woofer in the closer arrangement. I have yet to spike the cabinets and am afraid bass may be a little thin after doing so. Plus, I'd like to install them only once.

What it really boils down to, at 350hz, is driver spacing still a concern?

Also, with the woofer within 2" of the floor, will it make testing more difficult?

TIA,
    Mike
    SEOS 12/AE TD10M Front Stage in Progress
  • Kal Rubinson
    Super Senior Member
    • Mar 2006

Rule of thumb is that the interaction between the drivers becomes fairly insignificant then the distance is less than 1/2 the wavelength of the common frequencies. At 350Hz, that distance is about 20".

Kal
    Kal Rubinson

Comment

• krips
      • Sep 2007

im assuming thats center to center ?
      Sharp LC-42D64U
      TriTrix MTM (Sealed)

Comment

• Kal Rubinson
        Super Senior Member
        • Mar 2006

By default.
        Kal Rubinson

Comment

• AJINFLA
          • Mar 2005

Originally posted by Kal Rubinson
          Rule of thumb is that the interaction between the drivers becomes fairly insignificant then the distance is less than 1/2 the wavelength of the common frequencies.

Kal
          I would say 1/4 wavelength, based on the rules of physics.
          cheers,

AJ
          Manufacturer

Comment

• krips
            • Sep 2007

could you attempt to explain the reasoning for this ?
            Sharp LC-42D64U
            TriTrix MTM (Sealed)

Comment

• dlr
              • Feb 2005

Originally posted by Face
              I'm using a LR2ish @ 350hz for my WM crossover. Since the TM and W cabinets are separate, I could flip the W cabinet to either bring the woofer within 16"(center to center) to my mid, or 24"(center to center). I currently have the woofer in the closer arrangement. I have yet to spike the cabinets and am afraid bass may be a little thin after doing so. Plus, I'd like to install them only once.

What it really boils down to, at 350hz, is driver spacing still a concern?

Also, with the woofer within 2" of the floor, will it make testing more difficult?

TIA,
              Mike
              At 350Hz you'll be OK in either position IMO as far as CTC is concerned. I assume that it being a large 3-way you'll be listening at a fair distance.

More important than CTC in your case is the most often neglected floor bounce. My favorite 3-way used a 10" box with a separate MT on top. I could also flip it. Before software such as can be found at the FRD consortium was available, it was not as clear. You've selected a good Fc that helps reduce the impact of floor bounce in both the midrange and the woofer, placing it into the stop-band of each driver.The floor is definitely NOT the best place for your case. That will place it too close to the floor for this Fc and will affect some aspects of imaging.

Back then I built a test box, then experimented with the woofer at different heights. I found that the best sound came with the woofer about midway between floor and midrange. That's what I built and was very satisfied with that arrangement. You can see some of the details at my web site.

In my case the CTC came out to 13" with the woofer 15" up from the bottom of the box. Listening height includes any additional height from spikes.

I would definitely suggest the position with the woofer in the upper position.

Here's a link to the design page.

My 3-way

dlr
              Dave's Speaker Pages

Comment

• AJINFLA
                • Mar 2005

Originally posted by krips
                could you attempt to explain the reasoning for this ?
                Two sources producing the same frequency will be correlated at 1/4 wavelength (of that frequency) apart. Above this spacing, they will begin to decorrelate. With acoustic sources like loudspeakers, in living rooms, this gradual decorrelation may be audibly benign, as Kal points to a rule of 1/2 wavelength in his experience. Keep in mind that unless stopband filters are used, there will be greater decorrelataion above the HP, but again, at LF, this may be audibly benign.

cheers,

AJ
                Manufacturer

Comment

• Face
                  • Mar 2007

Thank you all!
                  SEOS 12/AE TD10M Front Stage in Progress

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"