Looking for a smaller design that's not so expensive.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Hdale85
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2006

Looking for a smaller design that's not so expensive.

I know of the designs here but just curious if anyone knows of anything elsewhere. My in laws own a restaurant and want a stereo in there and their 1 year anniversary of being open is coming up soon. So I decided I'd build them some speakers for it. I want something smaller like a TM or something like the Bose Busters might work as well. The budget is ~200 for 4 speakers is what I would prefer. If you have any designs you've come across please let me know.
  • ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

And just how big is this restaurant?

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Undefinition
      • Dec 2006

<shrug>
      I don't know if it's what you're looking for, but the Overnight Sensations will definitely hit that budget req't...
      Isn't it about time we started answering rhetorical questions?
      Paul Carmody's DIY Speaker Site

Comment

• Hdale85
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Jan 2006

The current restaurant is not very big. I would say the area the speakers will go in is about 30ft long maybe 15ft deep at the deepest part. Might be getting a bigger building after the year lease is up which isn't until july 2010. So for now just trying to get something decent for the space they have.

Comment

• Hdale85
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Jan 2006

Originally posted by Undefinition
          <shrug>
          I don't know if it's what you're looking for, but the Overnight Sensations will definitely hit that budget req't...
          http://undefinition.googlepages.com/...ightsensations
          Those do fit the price range and look fairly decent. I'll have to see what else is out there still The size is nice though.

Comment

• fjhuerta
            Super Senior Member
            • Jun 2006

Easy: 2 pairs of the Recession Buster v2.0's.

Corner loaded, they should do fine.
            Javier Huerta

Comment

• peter_m
              • Sep 2007

Someone here mentioned building a new Bose Busters based on the Vifa DQ25 and the Fountek F88EX. If you can afford to wait for it, they should be close to your budget. Maybe slightly over budget, but using very clean drivers. If I read correctly he/she plans to build a lower BSC version specifically for wall mounting.

Peter

Comment

• Jim Holtz
                Ultra Senior Member
                • Mar 2005

How about Curt's TriTrix design? If I remember correctly, it came in at about $110 per pair for the T/M version. That's been a while however. They sounded darn good for such an inexpensive speaker. They did win the Super Budget class at Iowa that year.

Jim

Comment

• augerpro
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Aug 2006

Originally posted by peter_m
                  Someone here mentioned building a new Bose Busters based on the Vifa DQ25 and the Fountek F88EX. If you can afford to wait for it, they should be close to your budget. Maybe slightly over budget, but using very clean drivers. If I read correctly he/she plans to build a lower BSC version specifically for wall mounting.

Peter
                  That would be me This is a high priority project, but with driver testing through June, I won't be cutting wood until my vacation in July. I don't expect to post anything until August. Seems like a long time, but the older I get the faster time goes by, so I expect I'll have to really keep on schedule to deliver by the end of summer :W Should be a little killer though.

I wonder if there is a smallish 6" pro coax that would work well? Tiny box, point source, high sensitivity.
                  ~Brandon 8O
                  Please donate to my Waveguides for CNC and 3D Printing Project!!
                  Please donate to my Monster Box Construction Methods Project!!
                  DriverVault
                  Soma Sonus

Comment

• HareBrained
                    • Jul 2008

Nothing wrong with Zaph's ZMV5 or ZBM4.

I built a set of speakers from the Mark Audio CHR70 ($50/pair at alpair-usa.com) and love them. My cabinets are 8.1L dual chamber reflex for an F3~45Hz. You could go 4-5L sealed and get ~80Hz. Without a crossover, the cost is just drivers and wood. They can handle 20W. If you use a LP cap, you can get more power through them. They're a great value. Check out this DIYaudio thread: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showt...hreadid=141496
                    John

Comment

• dlneubec
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Jan 2006

One of the most built and praised smaller speakers that I know of it Roman Bednareks "Microbes".
                      Microbe SE

I have a pair of Microbe SE (Seas 22tafg tweeter) that I use for surrounds. They are really exceptional for their size. When I did mine they could be done for about $100/pair, IIRC, but prices have gone up since then, so I'm not sure what they would cost today.
                      Dan N.

Comment

• Hdale85
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Jan 2006

Originally posted by HareBrained
                        Nothing wrong with Zaph's ZMV5 or ZBM4.

I built a set of speakers from the Mark Audio CHR70 ($50/pair at alpair-usa.com) and love them. My cabinets are 8.1L dual chamber reflex for an F3~45Hz. You could go 4-5L sealed and get ~80Hz. Without a crossover, the cost is just drivers and wood. They can handle 20W. If you use a LP cap, you can get more power through them. They're a great value. Check out this DIYaudio thread: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showt...hreadid=141496
                        Not really a fan of full range speakers. And generally they need some sort of notch filter anyways.

I forgot about the Microbes.

Comment

• evilskillit
                          • Oct 2008

I built the Vifa XT25SC90 version of the microbes and for what they are, they are awesome. The cost for a pair tho, was around $200. But I bet the regular microbes or microbe SEs are about as good and a bit cheaper to build considering my tweeters were about $45 each.

Side by side they compare pretty favorably, probably 95% to my friends Triangle Comete EX bookshelf speakers that were $800 for a pair.

Comment

• BretH
                            • Feb 2006

I built a pair of Undefinition's (Paul Carmody) "Orient Express" speakers. I am sure they were a bit under $100/pair.

They may be slightly bigger than you want, and you'd have to be OK with the slot port, but they would do nicely for your application I think, especially since the port is by design on the front. They may boom just a trifle if jammed into the ceiling corners though, as I suppose is likely given the scenario.

Shamefully I have not even posted finished photos to Paul, who was generous with his responses to me while building them.
                            Last edited by BretH; 10 June 2009, 07:31 Wednesday. Reason: typo

Comment

• HareBrained
                              • Jul 2008

Originally posted by Dougie085
                              Not really a fan of full range speakers. And generally they need some sort of notch filter anyways.
                              I understand your concerns but the Mark Audio's are truly different. Mark worked with Jordan developing Jordan's drivers. When Jordan sold the company (and not to Mark), Mark took his intellectual property with him. The results are fantastic drivers that offer significantly greater value.

The Mark Audio CHR70 has been confirmed by independent sources on DIYAudio.com - Full Range forum to be exactly what the manufacturer's specs claim. This driver does not requires any kind of filter, if you don't want, but a HP@80Hz would help power handling and effectively allow greater output. And in the proposed installation, no BSC would be required either.
                              John

Comment

Working...
                              Searching...Please wait.
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                              There are no results that meet this criteria.
                              Search Result for "|||"