X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Shonver
    • Jan 2007

RS180 vs Extremis vs P17REX

I'm looking for some advice regarding which driver to use. Application is midrange duty from 200Hz to whatever upper frequency works best with a good 1" tweeter. Enclosure is 7 litres, sealed. Crossover will be active.

The original driver fitted is a SEAS P17REX-type driver. I have the Extremis 6.8 and Dayton RS180 drivers on hand to substitute in place of the tired-looking P17REX. But I don't want to sacrifice sound quality for looks. What I want to know is: which of these drivers would be the better performer in this application?

Assume that I am capable of successfully design the appropriate crossover...
    Shaun

DON'T PANIC
  • JonMarsh
    Mad Max Moderator
    • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Shonver

Assume that I am capable of successfully design the appropriate crossover...

That last sentence is the deal clincher, of course.

The RS180 has a fairly decent bottom end and low midrange distortion up to about 1500 Hz. It's definitely more capable than the P17REX, BUT, it has upper end breakups that require taming- look at some of the designs here in the Missions Accomplished section to get an idea.

The Extremis has some resonances right in the midrange- it was originally designed as a long throw six, primarily to optimize bass response, though the motor has more electrical excursion capability than the suspension (I know, I was an early buyer and tester- and seller- of that driver). It's also a bit low on the sensitivity side. Best efforts with it seemed to be compact three ways with a dome midrange.

A Peerless Nomex or Vifa unit might be a lot easier way to go, with less issues to tame on the top end.
    the AudioWorx
    Natalie P
    M8ta
    Modula Neo DCC
    Modula MT XE
    Modula Xtreme
    Isiris
    Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
    Minerva Monitor
    Calliope
    Ardent D

In Development...
    Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
    Obi-Wan
    Saint-Saƫns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
    Modula PWB
    Calliope CC Supreme
    Natalie P Ultra
    Natalie P Supreme
    Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
    Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Shonver
      • Jan 2007

Thanks, JonMarsh.

I do believe that I am capable of suppressing the RS180's breakup modes. Right now I have the North D28-06S and RS28AS-4 (unchambered, shielded Dayton) tweeters available, but I'm willing to get hold of a SEAS 27TDFC if neither of the aforementioned tweets are up to the task. Any thoughts on tweeter options?
      Shaun

DON'T PANIC

Comment

• Finleyville
        • Sep 2006

Although I do not have even a glimmer of Jon's expertise, I thought I would add my $0.02 anyway...

I am using the Extremis in my car actively crossed over. I only have it playing from 60 to 300 Hz. (I use a modified Vifa TG-9 for midrange duty) It does extremely well in this region. However, I would only consider it a mid-bass driver not a mid range. Plus, yes, it does require a lot of power to sing. I have 250W going to each of mine and they love every drop.
        BE ALERT! The world needs more lerts.

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"