X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Silversmoky
    • Nov 2007

(2) Rs270's Ported - Size Suggestions?

Been working on putting together a new project for the summer. Just finishing up on some that I had had going and I am looking to do something a little different. Something along the lines of the Usher BE-20. Sort of a reference build (at least for me ) Curious to try a few ideas I have been thinking about. Size isn't to much of an issue. I would like to try to make these as full range as possible so I was looking into having the rs270's dig as deep as possible within reason. Just looking for some suggestions on size and port length. Thanks.
  • ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

The Vas on those (5.20 cu. ft.) means a HUGE box.

Perhaps a different 10" might be in order?

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Silversmoky
      • Nov 2007

Originally posted by ThomasW
      The Vas on those (5.20 cu. ft.) means a HUGE box.

Perhaps a different 10" might be in order?
      It would definitely be possible to go with different 10's if that is how it ends up. Nothing is set in stone on this so far. Picked the 270's to start to see if they would work for this. How big is HUGE for these guys?

Comment

• Jed
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Apr 2005

Depends on whether you want to sacrifice some bass extension for a smaller box. For example the bass that once was in the 30s in a 100L per woofer box can get pinched a bit in a 60L box to the lower 40s.

Comment

• JonMarsh
          Mad Max Moderator
          • Aug 2000

The RS270s have a pretty light cone for a 10" woofer, in relation to Sd and driver VAS, so they tend to require really, REALLY large boxes to maintain extension- of course, they're pretty efficient, too- but it's Hoffman's iron law in effect for you. Trade-offs, trade-offs.
          the AudioWorx
          Natalie P
          M8ta
          Modula Neo DCC
          Modula MT XE
          Modula Xtreme
          Isiris
          Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
          Minerva Monitor
          Calliope
          Ardent D

In Development...
          Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
          Obi-Wan
          Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
          Modula PWB
          Calliope CC Supreme
          Natalie P Ultra
          Natalie P Supreme
          Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
          Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• ---k---
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Nov 2005

CJD has 2 - RS270 sealed in his big towers. They have good bass and extension. Are you certain you need ported? Of course, his big 3-ways are HUGE!
            - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
            CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
            CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

• Jed
              Ultra Senior Member
              • Apr 2005

To answer your question you are looking at 200+ Ls without too much "compromise" of low frequency extension.

I've used them in smaller ported box and they sound great that way too. Just won't get that last 10hz or so of bass extension.

Comment

• cjd
                Ultra Senior Member
                • Dec 2004

Huge is what these drivers take.

14x24x50 on the overall box (1" wall 1.5" baffle minus box for the dual RS180's...) And that's sealed. Solid into the mid 30's with clarity well into the 20's.

Small-boxing a ported setup would not be worth it IMHO. If you really want flatter response down low, seek some electronic means or other - many such possibilities exist.
                diVine Sound - my DIY speaker designs at diVine Audio

Comment

• Silversmoky
                  • Nov 2007

Thanks for the great info and suggestions so far guys!

"The RS270s have a pretty light cone for a 10" woofer, in relation to Sd and driver VAS, so they tend to require really, REALLY large boxes to maintain extension- of course, they're pretty efficient, too- but it's Hoffman's iron law in effect for you. Trade-offs, trade-offs."
                  Thanks Jon. I do like the efficiency on these. Trying to keep it up there as high as I can.
                  K and CJD. Thanks for the sealed info. I wouldn't necessarily have to go ported and it seems like very nice performance out of the rs 3 ways. Did those end up in the 140 L range?
                  Jed. Thanks for giving me a target on the 200 L range. That is probably doable I am thinking. Trying to decide how big is too big!
                  Is there other 10" I should maybe be considering more? Have looked at the W26, L26, and CA26.

Comment

• cjd
                    Ultra Senior Member
                    • Dec 2004

Depending on the reach you want to get out of them, probably the next step would be over to less sensitive but more durable things like the RS "subwoofer" line, where they still have very solid performance into the lower midrange.

2 RS265's (10) port in the same size box (low 20's) as the RS270's sealed... 2 12's stay sealed in the same box.
                    diVine Sound - my DIY speaker designs at diVine Audio

Comment

• Jed
                      Ultra Senior Member
                      • Apr 2005

Originally posted by Silversmoky
                      Is there other 10" I should maybe be considering more? Have looked at the W26, L26, and CA26.
                      Check out my tests for the W26 and L26. They both are better than RS270 below 80hz but the RS270 is dang good above that. Both the W26 and L26 model a bit lower in smaller enclosures than the RS270 but the RS270 has greater sensitivity. I guess it comes down to what your goals are. The harmonic distortion tests are in my website under the woofer test section.

I may be testing the L26Roy because it will play in 45L and hit mid 20s ported. It may end up in a new Tombstones speaker I'm thinking about.

Comment

• Mazeroth
                        • Nov 2004

Have you considered dual RS225s? Roughly half the cabinet size and just as much extension, losing just a hair of output capability.

Comment

• Silversmoky
                          • Nov 2007

Originally posted by Jed
                          Check out my tests for the W26 and L26. They both are better than RS270 below 80hz but the RS270 is dang good above that. Both the W26 and L26 model a bit lower in smaller enclosures than the RS270 but the RS270 has greater sensitivity. I guess it comes down to what your goals are. The harmonic distortion tests are in my website under the woofer test section.

I may be testing the L26Roy because it will play in 45L and hit mid 20s ported. It may end up in a new Tombstones speaker I'm thinking about.
                          Thanks Jed. Checked out your tests of those 3 tens. I think I would be happy with any of them. The slightly more distortion on the rs270's below 80hz doesn't seem to be a major issue considering the higher sensitivity. Ahh, tradeoffs! Would be interested to see your tests on the L26Roy. That looks like a promising driver to me.

Mazeroth - Thanks for the suggestion. :T I did consider it a little when I started to put together ideas for this project. I would like to see if I can make some 10's work if possible. Maybe something to definitely consider if I decide to go smaller with these.
                          Last edited by Silversmoky; 07 June 2009, 13:34 Sunday.

Comment

Working...
                          Searching...Please wait.
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                          Search Result for "|||"