X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MT Speakers
    • Feb 2009

Possible ESS Rebuild!

We have the ESS speakers. Don't have a clue what the model is. My dad picked them up in the 1970's. They went unused for 20 years. About 10 years ago, we added on the theater. We dug through the storage closet and ta dom, we found them. When we powered them up, we stood back figuring they would explode. But the didn't, instead they sounded okay. Now, in 2009, we would like to rebuild them and make them sound better than brand new, I take that back, make them sound like the best speakers ever heard.

Any suggestions?
    Attached Files
    MT|Speakers Online
  • ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Here ya go, ESS Transtatic 1 ....

Unfortunately not a lot of potential for a rebuild given the lack of major parts like the drivers.

If they're playing the best bet maybe to freshen up the crossover caps, resistors, etc.

A google search will give you more info...

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• MT Speakers
      • Feb 2009

Yeah, the shape and the outside looks like the speakers we have... but the narrow part is the front and the top has a Heil Airmotion transformer and lower down is a 10' woofer and the bottom like in the picture has a port. But it is just on the front.

Does anybody even know what model these speakers were? And, is there like an owners manual laying around for these?
      MT|Speakers Online

Comment

• MT Speakers
        • Feb 2009

ThomasW, just saw what you are working on! It really got my blood flowing!
        MT|Speakers Online

Comment

• ThomasW
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

Then it's some version of the AMT-1

And again google is your friend... use ESS AMT-1 as the search

You can buy replacement diaphragms from PE

The major problem with the AMT-1 was the poor integration between the AMT (air motion transformer) and the 10". The 10" was beaming at the crossover point. In addition the crossover itself wasn't very sophisticated.

My suggestion would be to remove the AMT and build a new speaker around it. Leave to old box and 10" alone in case someday you want to sell everything to a vintage speaker collector.

ThomasW, just saw what you are working on! It really got my blood flowing!
          I'll start a thread about those later...

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• MT Speakers
            • Feb 2009

I just looked, on the switch panel, they said "ESS AMT1 TOWER".
            MT|Speakers Online

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"