X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MT Speakers
    • Feb 2009

Subwoofer to mate with Zaph SR-71

I have been listening to my Zaph SR-71 speakers that I built. They are great. But when I listen to them just playing music they do not go low anough for me. I was thinking that my next speaker project would to be something like the Statements. However, the Zaph SR-71 are really great. I invite my friends to listen to them and thay want me to help them build some.

But what I was thinking was - I should build some subwoofers and put the SR-71's on top of them. This way I would have a 3 way system and lower bass.

Can someone give me some ideas to build a subwoofer for the ZAPH SR-71 that would work with them? I would like to go down to 20HZ.
    MT|Speakers Online
  • evilskillit
    • Oct 2008

Building a subwoofer is pretty easy. If you dig around on Zaph site he has plans for a sub using a Dayton Reference 12" driver if I remember correctly and that would work great with your speakers.

I guess if you want sugguestions the first question to ask would be, what is your budget and do you have any goals? Does it matter what size it is? There are alot of factors and alot of options.

Comment

• MT Speakers
      • Feb 2009

OK - you know, I went to see Larry the Cable Guy (just by accident) when I was building my speakers. I was thinking "what was I going to put my speakers on". Well - you know -he was sitting on a bar stool during his act. I had seen this bar stool in WALMART that day. They sell for under $30.00. I was jumping up and down in my seat because not only was he really funny but I figured out what to put my speakers on. Well you know, I was so excited that he through me his hat. Thats right, I have a genuine Larry the Caple Guy hat that he wore during his act. I can not wear it to school because everyone will try to take it.

Anyway, I figured, if these bar stools are OK for Larry the Cable Guy they should be OK for my speakers.

So I asked my dad if we could buy some. He said we could buy 2 for the project. Anyway, they are 29" tall. Thats what my speakers are on right now. Also, the back of my SR-71's are about 9" from the wall. This kind of sayes what my dimentions are.

So I am going to start researching but what do you think would be a reasonabe match to the SR-71's to get them down to 20HZ?
      MT|Speakers Online

Comment

• ---k---
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Nov 2005

Depending on your budget, you should consider the Shiva-X, Tempest-X and the Dayton RS subs. It all depends on your budget and size constraints and if you want a pair. Oh and of course if you want bigger than movie theater sized booms.
        - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
        CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
        CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

• 1Michael
          • Sep 2006

How much money will you spend, and how big of a box can you handle?
          Michael
          Chesapeake Va.

Comment

• lunchmoney
            • Jul 2008

With my SR71's I'm using a Dayton Reference 10" sub in a PE sealed 1 cu ft enclosure.

The amp is a Dayton SA240 amp "with boost" (+6db at 30 hz)... the "with boost" version is important, as it added a bit of oomph in the lowest lows.

I'm crossing them at about 90 hz, and it sounds fantastic.

I highly recommend this sub with the SR71's.

Here is the Winisd plot, with a 90 hz low pass filter, and +6db @ 3o hz to simulate the "with boost" amp...

Click image for larger version

Name:	DaytonRef10HFSealed.webp
Views:	23
Size:	36.0 KB
ID:	944095
            Last edited by theSven; 05 July 2023, 10:16 Wednesday. Reason: Update image location

Comment

• MT Speakers
              • Feb 2009

Okay, I'll look into the Dayton subs, but I will also look at the Shiva-X and Temptest-X subs. I'm looking for nice, accurate (not Best Buy BOOM, BOOM, BOOM!) bass to match my SR-71s. I am looking for deep base, but base that is accurate.
              Thanks for the input!
              MT|Speakers Online

Comment

• MT Speakers
                • Feb 2009

By the way, thanks for posting! The ideas are really helping me!
                MT|Speakers Online

Comment

• ---k---
                  Ultra Senior Member
                  • Nov 2005

Well. None of the subs recommended around here will be flabby, bloated bass.

You still haven't told us what your budget is.

To get down to 20hz, you're probably looking to build a bigger ported sub or an LT assisted sealed sub - which adds $$.

You should download Unibox, or WinISD, or Jeff B's Woofer Box & Circuit Designer. Play with modeling the differnt drivers in different size boxes and configurations. YOu'll learn a lot and have fun.

Also, while putting the speakers ontop of the subs can work well. Sometimes depending on your room, the subs may sound better in the corner or somewhere else. Sub placement is really really room dependant. So, don't lock yourself into putting the subs under the speakers, unless you have tested the subs there and get good results.
                  - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
                  CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
                  CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"