X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • its_bacon12
    • May 2008

Dayton RSS390HF-4 Suspension Sag

Ok, I planned this out to get a pair of RSS390HF-4's and make some LLT sonotubes with them. Problem is I calculated a suspension sag of 5.47%

I doubt it'll be a problem since I'm not a perfectionist, more of a it's-close-enough-ist.

Wondering if anyone has had any experience with these drivers and suspension sag issues or if it's immaterial since I'll be driving with two, lessen the stress on them.
  • ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Having two doesn't lower the stress, since the primary issue is the long term effect of gravity, not how loud the driver/drivers are playing.

The RSS390's are very good drivers for certain applications, but their relatively short Xmax means they aren't the best candidates for the rigors of a low Fb EBS alignment.

Have you considered any other drivers?

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• its_bacon12
      • May 2008

I have but these are the best value for me. I'm not out to spend $2k on subwoofers and I'd like to have some considerable output as well.

I know the long term effect is from gravity, not stress, but wouldn't that be beneficial running a pair so you don't run out of the 94.53% of xmax remaining as quickly.

Tell me if my logic is flawed.

Comment

• ThomasW
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

No one I know spends $2K on sub drivers either.

Having a pair of drivers means you'll get between +3 dB to +6dB more output

A pair of RSS390's are $320+ shipping for the pair. They're not lightweight I know since I have 4 of them.....

A Exodus Audio Maelstrom-X is $395+ shipping.

In most instances shipping on a single Mal-X starts closing the gap of the total delivered cost of the options being discussed.

The Mal-X has considerably more swept volume than a pair of RSS390s,

Vd, I use Sd times Xmax doubled, means 7.8L for the Mal-X vs 4.6L for a pair of RSS390's

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• its_bacon12
          • May 2008

Well, I can get free shipping on them. And I want to make a pair of sonotubes since it's easier for me to transport since I won't have a permanent address until I'm out of college. Tried a big MDF box for last year and it's the biggest PITA to move. And that was for a Shiva-X

Comment

• ThomasW
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2000

Might see what a 300L Fb15Hz sim shows with say 230 watts of input power.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

• its_bacon12
              • May 2008

I'm going to go a different route now. 2 seperate IXL 18.2.2 each in 417L to 14 hz.

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"