X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Hugo82
    • Jun 2009

Tritrix MT component values

I'm planning on building a nice set of speakers to replace the pc speakers i have now and from what i have read the TriTrix MT looks like the ideal candidate.

But i'm having trouble finding the right value components that i need.
    (i'm in the Netherlands, can't find Dayton components here)
    Resistors are no problem but the values of the capacitors and inductors that the speaker plans list don't quite match what i can find.

For example, the plans say i need 2x 8.2 uF 250V and 2x 20Uf 250V capacitors but the closest match i can find is 8.2uF 400v and 22uF 400v.

Same principle goes for the inducters.

How critical is it to have the exact same value components.
    Can i get away with value's that are a bit off ?
  • Curt C
    • Feb 2005

Those caps will be fine. The higher voltage rating of the caps you've sourced is immaterial to their operation in the TriTrix MT, and the 22 uF will not cause any audible issues. You could also parallel two 10 uF caps to obtain the 20 uF value.

What inductors do you have available to you? I'll be glad to help you select suitable substitutes.

C
    Curt's Speaker Design Works

Comment

• Hugo82
      • Jun 2009

Thanks.

Always thought that AWG had to do with the resistance of the wire but i just found out it's actually wire diameter :P
      We don't really use the term AWG here.
      20AWG = 0.812mm
      18AWG = 1.024 mm

Ok for the Jantzen 0.30mH 20 AWG Air Core Inductor .36 ohm dc resistance
      the closest thing i can find is (actually a pretty accurate match) 0.30mH 0.8mm(20AWG) 0.37ohm dc resistance

For the JANTZEN .05mH 18 GA .09ohm the closest i can find is .05mH 0.8mm(20AWG) 0.14 ohm dc resistance

And for the JANTZEN 1.3mH 18 GA 0.61ohm dc resistance the closest i can find are all 1.2mH instead of 1.3mH with pretty much the same resistance
      1.20mH 0.65Ohm 1mm (18AWG) and 1.2mH 0.6ohm 1.0mm (18AWG)

In all honesty this is the only site i have looked at for the crossover components becuaze i would like to order everything at this site since they are the only dealer i can find here that even has Dayton speakers.

If the above options would compromise the sound too much then please say so and i will look elsewhere for a more closer match

Cheers

Comment

• Curt C
        • Feb 2005

Hugo,

Your choices for the .3mH and either of the 1.2 mH inductors look fine.

This one will be plenty good for the .05 mH:

I modeled the changes in LspCAD, and the only concern is the large inductor. Since the 1.3 mH inductor was lowered to 1.2, I fould the 20 uF cap value should be modified to around 25 ufd. I'd suggest paralleling a 22 uF with a 3.3 uF cap (or a 2.7 uF) to obtain that value. These alternate values will compensate for each other, and will not audibly affect the sonic attributes of the design.

C
        Curt's Speaker Design Works

Comment

• Hugo82
          • Jun 2009

Thank u for the help, i hope i can "repay" u by showing u a pair of good looking/sounding speakers in the near future :T

Cheers

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"