X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Delta Dog
    • May 2009

Switchable Statement Monitors recommendations

Has anyone build the Switchable Monitor Statemens? I was wondering if there is that much difference in the speakers performance vs placement. Does anyone have any photos and/or recommendations for the switch setups (beyond the circuit drawing). I plan on starting with the monitors as part of a 7.1 HT with Statement fronts, the center, and 4 monitors. I just like the flexability of the switchable if they are beneficial to placement.

Thanks,

Delta Dog
  • Hdale85
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2006

What are you talking about exactly? You mean like a switch to adjust BSC or something?

Comment

• ---k---
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Nov 2005

Yes. Curt posted 3 designs: near wall, far wall, and one with a switch.

A new twist this time is a crossover network optimized for Full BSC and fpr Partial BSC, as well as a 'switchable' version that allows the selection of either crosover at the flip of a switch. The difference between the two circuits results in about 2 dB increased sensitivity for the nearwall version above a couple of hundred Hz.

The switch just allows for experimentation between the two placement options. There really isn't a draw back in performance. You can always take the switch out once you decide on which version you like best, if the switch worries you.
      - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
      CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
      CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

• Curt C
        • Feb 2005

Hello DD, welcome to the forum and the DIY speakerbuilding community.

The two different designs adjust the baffle step compensation of the crossover nets to allow placement in close proximity to the wall, (say 6 inches from the rear of the enclosure) vs. around 1 meter between the wall and the front baffle. Image depth is improved with the ‘far wall’ placement when used as a stereo pair, or as HT mains out into the room. The ‘far wall’ network will sound too bassy when used close to the wall, and vice versa when the ‘near wall’ network is pulled out from the wall. Hence, the switch... :B

Here is a link to an inexpensive, toggle switch I found locally. At $5, this is about 30% of the cost you’d pay from Digikey or Mouser, but does have a center ‘off’ position. –This will be a non-issue unless you accidentally position it there, but it won’t hurt anything if you do.
        Warehouse distributor for many top name manufacturers. Parker Hydraulics, Hypro Pumps, Prince Hydraulics. Direct from the factory. Surplus equipment. We buy large quantities of manufacturer's surplus or excess stock.

As far as mounting the switch, one method would be to use a terminal cup such as this one from PE. Drill a hole near the top of the cup to mount the switch, making sure it clears your speaker connections.

If you are concerned about the toggle switch shorting out to the binding posts, you can buy colored toggle covers from Sporty's Pilot shop:

C
        Curt's Speaker Design Works

Comment

• Delta Dog
          • May 2009

I didn't think there would be a draw back in performance. I just was wondering how much benefit you would get for the effort. I just wanted to see what someone else has done for ideas on switch layout.

Delta Dog

Comment

• ThomasW
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Delta Dog
            I just wanted to see what someone else has done for ideas on switch layout.
            IIRC this is the first time this topic has been discussed.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• zephyrtear
              • Oct 2010

Switches

Sorry to dig this one up from the grave, but I was looking at switches in PE for my switchable build and they have too many options! Are there specific specs to the switch that should be taken in consideration?

Or can i get any of these?
              Switch 1

Switch 2

Thanks in advance!

Comment

• Curt C
                • Feb 2005

For a single switch, you need at least a 3 pole double throw (3PDT in switchology jargon). The two you have chosen are DPDT (double pole double throw). You can use two or three of these and control each network separately if you desire.
                I found this 4PDT switch for a decent price if you want a single switch:

C
                4PDT-CO Toggle Switch 15 Amps 66-1815, Toggle Switches, 4PDT-CO TOGGLE SWITCH 15 AMPS, 4PDT-CO TOGGLE SWITCH Brand new, maintained toggle switch.66-1815 BOX ,

Last edited by Curt C; 05 January 2011, 00:09 Wednesday.

Comment

• john trials
                  • Mar 2009

I made the switchable Monitors. At my old job, I ran the shop, so I machined some simple switch plates out of 1/8" aluminum. I just mounted the switch on the rear of the enclosure. I wish I mounted the switches inside the tunnel for a cleaner look, although they would have been a bit more difficult to mount.

I like Curt's idea of using a terminal cup. Erse has some that I considered.

Photo: http://www.htguide.com/forum/showpos...&postcount=129

I mainly built the switchable Monitors for possible situations in future use. Right now I'm using them as surrounds in a 5.1 system. I probably don't have a large enough room to need the far wall version (I can't place the speakers 3 feet from a wall and leave them there), but for the extra $25 or so in parts, I felt it was worth building the switchable.

I didn't do any really critical listening to these while switching between near and far wall, so I cannot comment on the sound quality difference (sorry!).
                  Statements: "They usually kill the desire to build anything else."

Comment

• zephyrtear
                    • Oct 2010

Thanks for the answers guys!

So let me get this straight, to have a single switch like in the picture that john posted I would need a switch of at least 3PDT. And if I buy a switch from my link it would have to be 2 switches per speaker?

What about the amps it can handle? Does that make any difference? Thanks!

Comment

• john trials
                      • Mar 2009

Yes...using Curt's switch means one switch per speaker. Your links (use the 15A model) would be two switches per speaker.

Someone built a Monitor (I cannot find it) using three SPDT rocker switches per speaker. You could do that too, but one switch is going to be nicer, unless you want to mess around with switching only one driver network at a time.

The amount of current the switch can handle is important to consider, but if you use the one Curt recommended, you'll be fine. Curt's switch handles 15 amps. You'll never get 15 amps through that switch. Something else would blow first (like your ears). The switch is overkill, which is a good thing in this case.

You'll have a hard time finding a better price than Curt's switch, too.

Comment

• bungelow_ed
                        • Jan 2011

Hi All,
                        I'm a new member here, building a pair of Statement Monitors w/ switchable x-overs. So far, so good except I am unclear on the switch recommendations. Can someone clarify on a couple of points?

1. Will a single 3PDT per speaker work for this application?
                        2. How should the switch be connected to the x-over? I am unsure about how to wire the x-over to have two switches open and one closed. A sketch would be much appreciated.

Thanks to everyone for all the information here. Everytime I think I've read every Statement Monitor thread another appears.
                        Thanks,
                        bungelow_ed

Comment

• Curt C
                          • Feb 2005

Originally posted by bungelow_ed
                          Hi All,
                          I'm a new member here, building a pair of Statement Monitors w/ switchable x-overs. So far, so good except I am unclear on the switch recommendations. Can someone clarify on a couple of points?

1. Will a single 3PDT per speaker work for this application?
                          2. How should the switch be connected to the x-over? I am unsure about how to wire the x-over to have two switches open and one closed. A sketch would be much appreciated.

Thanks to everyone for all the information here. Everytime I think I've read every Statement Monitor thread another appears.
                          Thanks,
                          bungelow_ed
                          1) Yes
                          2) Very carefully. You will get the optimum sound quality if done correctly. :T

Let’s look at a single SPDT switch:

O
                          X
                          O

O

The three ‘O’ are the tabs on the back. If the toggle is in the ‘dn’ position, there is continuity between the top and middle set of contacts, represented by the ‘X’, and no continuity between the middle and bottom contact.

If you set the toggle to the ‘up’ position you get this:

O

O
                          X
                          O

In other words, the continuity with the center contact (called the common) shifts from the top contact to the bottom contact.

A 3PDT with the switch from the back would look like this:

O O O
                          X X X
                          O O O

O O O

… and switched it will look like this:

O O O

O O O
                          X X X
                          O O O

If the drawing calls for two contacts to be closed, use the middle and upper contacts for that. If it simultaneously calls for one contact to be open, use the middle and lower contact for it.

C

Comment

• bungelow_ed
                            • Jan 2011

Curt,

Thanks! :rofl: , I love your humor. Guess you would advise against testing my work live, maybe 220V from my 30 amp outlet? :E

BTW, I'm having so much fun building the monitors I priced out the full size Statement BOM today. Thank God both Parts Express and Madisound are back-ordered. That and I haven't figured out how to get 125 lb speakers up the narrow stairs to my listening room.

Comment

• john trials
                              • Mar 2009

Originally posted by bungelow_ed
                              I haven't figured out how to get 125 lb speakers up the narrow stairs to my listening room.
                              Moving full-sized Statements is the worst! That's my only complaint with the Statements.

I'm glad Curt took the time to explain the 3PDT switch to you. I gave it some thought, but I didn't think I could explain it in writing, so I didn't attempt it. When I built my switchable Monitors, I had the switch in hand and just spent time with a multimeter measuring continuity so I wouldn't mess up.

Comment

• bungelow_ed
                                • Jan 2011

Originally posted by john trials
                                When I built my switchable Monitors, I had the switch in hand and just spent time with a multimeter measuring continuity so I wouldn't mess up.
                                Exactly what I would have done if Curt hadn't been there to make sense of it all. Now I have x's and o's to refer too.

On another note: :T :T to you and Curt for all the time and patience you show supportting Statement builds. In the short time I've been perusing this site I am constantly impressed with the level of openess and support senior members show.

Comment

Working...
                                Searching...Please wait.
                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                Search Result for "|||"