X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bose301s
    • May 2009

Possible summer project

Well, I would love to build a set of bookshelf speakers just for fun. I think I have the tweeter picked out, looks interesting and Zaph really liked it. It is the SB-Acoustics SB29RDC-C000-4 Ring Dome tweeter. It is a new take on the ring radiator from SB. The woofer is up in the air but candidates are the 6" SB mid, the Mach 5 MLI-65, Peerless 6.5", Vifa 6.5", AE 6.5" and the Dayton RS-180. I am leaning to the AE or the SB, but if anyone else has some good suggestions I am all ears.
  • Jed
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Apr 2005

The SB drivers are excellent. You'll have to wait a bit for that tweeter though until it is in stock. I've designed a few speakers using the SB drivers and Vifa XT25 tweeters. Sounds great at the price.

Comment

• bose301s
      • May 2009

Originally posted by Jed
      The SB drivers are excellent. You'll have to wait a bit for that tweeter though until it is in stock. I've designed a few speakers using the SB drivers and Vifa XT25 tweeters. Sounds great at the price.
      I considered going that route as well, but it seems the SB tweeter probably has a better dispersion pattern and looks to have a larger radiating area. I think I will go with the SB woofer as well, but what I am in need of is crossover help. Was thinking of a 2nd order L-R around 2k-2.2k, but not sure on exactly what frequency to use or if I will need any filters. I should be able to get help from John Janowitz at AE Speakers this summer so that could help, but I would like to do the majority myself.

Comment

• Jed
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Apr 2005

If you go 2nd order you'll need an electrical delay circuit if used on a flat baffle. Or, you could step the baffle or slope it about 10 degrees so that phase will align appropriately for a 2nd order transfer function. The SB 6" driver is pretty tough to hit a 2nd order acoustic slope. I managed it with the 5" but not the 6".

Comment

• bose301s
          • May 2009

Would a 3rd order work better then for the woofer? And since I am new to this I have to ask, how do you figure this stuff out ie. the phase differences and that stuff. I mean, you obviously are a talented designer so if you let me pick your brain I am definitely going to

Comment

• Jed
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Apr 2005

Originally posted by bose301s
            how do you figure this stuff out ie. the phase differences and that stuff. I mean, you obviously are a talented designer so if you let me pick your brain I am definitely going to
            I can figure out the phase requirements after taking the measurements --which includes the phase data. After shaping the response into a theoretically perfect 2nd order slope, there's not much one can do to delay the phase with a standard crossover if the acoustic centers are not radiating from the same plane and shallow slopes are desired. Therefore the phase alignment is generally taken care of either acoustically or electrically (ladder delay) given the options I spoke of above. I'm speaking from direct experience after working with the drivers. 3rd order might be okay... but honestly 4th order slopes with the 6" worked perfectly. 4th order slopes are much much less sensitive to driver acoustic center offset differences. You can also look at the FR of the 6" and get a pretty good idea how difficult it is to shape that ragged frequency response above 2k into a nice smooth shallow slope-- such as 2nd order.

Comment

• bose301s
              • May 2009

Originally posted by Jed
              I can figure out the phase requirements after taking the measurements --which includes the phase data. After shaping the response into a theoretically perfect 2nd order slope, there's not much one can do to delay the phase with a standard crossover if the acoustic centers are not radiating from the same plane and shallow slopes are desired. Therefore the phase alignment is generally taken care of either acoustically or electrically (ladder delay) given the options I spoke of above. I'm speaking from direct experience after working with the drivers. 3rd order might be okay... but honestly 4th order slopes with the 6" worked perfectly. 4th order slopes are much much less sensitive to driver acoustic center offset differences. You can also look at the FR of the 6" and get a pretty good idea how difficult it is to shape that ragged frequency response above 2k into a nice smooth shallow slope-- such as 2nd order.
              Ok, still over my head at this point, lol. I am definitely wanting to learn though.

Comment

• Jed
                Ultra Senior Member
                • Apr 2005

Just let me know if I can answer any more questions. SB Acoustics recently posted on my forum to suggest I do a kit with the 4" and 8". I'll definitely be working with their drivers in the future given the excellent value. More than likely that will include the new tweeters as well. Just have to wait for them to get in stock at madisound.

Comment

• bose301s
                  • May 2009

So, I think I am definitely going to do this design. I changed to wanting to use a 4th order @ ~2100Hz, maybe change that a little dedending on suggestions. Also, I want to do the 10 degree step passively, so if you could help me with that I would appreciate it.

Comment

• Jed
                    Ultra Senior Member
                    • Apr 2005

Can you take measurements?

Comment

• bose301s
                      • May 2009

I do not have anything to take measurements with, but I am up at school and the AES group probably does, I should be able to get in and use their equipment if need be.

Comment

• Jed
                        Ultra Senior Member
                        • Apr 2005

I do not have anything to take measurements with, but I am up at school and the AES group probably does, I should be able to get in and use their equipment if need be.
                        If you can get me the files for the FR and Imp for the drivers just let me know and I'll work up a crossover for you.

Jed

Comment

• bose301s
                          • May 2009

Originally posted by Jed
                          If you can get me the files for the FR and Imp for the drivers just let me know and I'll work up a crossover for you.

Jed
                          I appreciate it a lot man. I am definitely wanting to learn, but help with the first crossover is a plus I am probably going to buy the Loudspeaker Design Cookbook, unless there is something better out there.

Comment

• Jed
                            Ultra Senior Member
                            • Apr 2005

I appreciate it a lot man. I am definitely wanting to learn, but help with the first crossover is a plus I am probably going to buy the Loudspeaker Design Cookbook, unless there is something better out there.
                            That's a good book and worth reading. It won't tell you how to design a crossover however. You're better off reviewing as many threads here for that info.

Comment

• bose301s
                              • May 2009

You know what, Zaph has actually tested both of those drivers so if you could use his graphs and design it that would be awesome, otherwise I am sure I could do the testing.

Comment

• Jed
                                Ultra Senior Member
                                • Apr 2005

You know what, Zaph has actually tested both of those drivers so if you could use his graphs and design it that would be awesome, otherwise I am sure I could do the testing.
                                You might hit up some folks at PE to run a simulated speaker design for you. I only use sims for modeling a concept, not finalizing a speaker. There's no substitute for good measurements in the intended box IMO. The speakers I've heard that were done with sims only, never fully sounded right to me. But that's just me.

Comment

• bose301s
                                  • May 2009

Originally posted by Jed
                                  You might hit up some folks at PE to run a simulated speaker design for you. I only use sims for modeling a concept, not finalizing a speaker. There's no substitute for good measurements in the intended box IMO. The speakers I've heard that were done with sims only, never fully sounded right to me. But that's just me.
                                  True, but I am still new to this, but you have already helped me a ton, I definitely want to thank you for that.

Comment

• bose301s
                                    • May 2009

If I were to change drivers it would be between the Exodus EX-6.5 Midwoofer and the CSS SDX7 Subduction 6.5" woofer. They are both extremely similar obviously, so out of those 2 which would be the better choice?

Comment

• bose301s
                                      • May 2009

Ok, I think I am going to eschew all of the choices I have posted up so far and go with the SEAS Prestige CA18RNX. I may have Madisound do the design for me, but if anyone has advice it is greatly appreciated.

Comment

• bose301s
                                        • May 2009

This project is looking less and less likely to happen due to financial circumstances. I thought I would have enough money for it, but some on foreseen events are making it look like it may not happen, however if it does, I will keep everyone posted, for sure.

Comment

• Jed
                                          Ultra Senior Member
                                          • Apr 2005

Hey I'm sorry you won't be able to build your design. Hopefully when things turn around you'll be able to build a nice speaker. Take care,

Jed

Comment

• Jed
                                            Ultra Senior Member
                                            • Apr 2005

Ok, I think I am going to eschew all of the choices I have posted up so far and go with the SEAS Prestige CA18RNX. I may have Madisound do the design for me, but if anyone has advice it is greatly appreciated.

There's a speaker I did for a guy here at htguide.com with that woofer and he liked it quite a bit. The schematic should be posted somewhere in the forum.

Comment

• bose301s
                                              • May 2009

Thanks Jed!!

It isn't 100% for sure one way or the other, it's really a 50/50 thing ATM, but that seems to be dropping still, lol. If it does happen I will do my best to post it up, I am working with John Janowitz from AE Speakers some and he will be able to help me a lot with my design and building it.

Comment

Working...
                                              Searching...Please wait.
                                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                              There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                              Search Result for "|||"