X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • pocho
    • May 2009

Zaph ZD3C center channel, need 4 surrounds

I'm gathering components to build Zaph's ZD3C Center channel and been searching for the surrounds for my 5.1 system. My system would be strictly Home Theater as I do not listen to music unless its played on the dvd.

Would the Modula MT's be the right choice? and which tweeter should I be using as they are all different from the ZD3C's. I'd prefer the RS28 but if one of the seas is the choice, which one?

edit: I'll use these mt modula's as l/r front mains and l/r rears

or will this arrangement not match as I've read the center and l/r mains should be matched but again I'm not a music listener. Its just that I wanted a clear good sounding cc as my old Energy take 5's cc just doesn't cut it anymore
  • ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Modula MTs are a bit of a mismatch to use as mains with the ZD3C.

It's speculation on my part; but I'd bet the sealed ZD3C or a ported version used with vertically as the main speakers, would be the best match if you have the space. (I'd experiment using the center channel in this orientation prior to buying the parts to build the mains..)

If you really want or need small rear speakers the Seas soft dome version of the Modula MT would be the best match

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• subynube
      • Apr 2007

It actually does say on Zaph's website that the center is not well suited for mains. The following is the actual quote from Zaph's website.

"It's worth noting here that some builders may be wondering if it's a good idea to just build 3 of this design and use them turned upright for lefts and rights also. In a word, no. There's too much in the design that is specific to center channel usage but not suitable for mains. Controlled vertical off axis with wide horizontal off axis, along with low BSC are perfect for a center, but turn into serious shortcomings when used for an upright left and right."

Comment

• ThomasW
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

I'm aware of that, but it doesn't preclude someone who's already building the center from trying it in a horizontal orientation.

Other options are build a shortened 3.5, or play with a hybrid of the 3.5 and center XO or both....

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• pocho
          • May 2009

I appreciate the responses. Geez, I should have put more thought into this but I wanted the clear sounding center channel and thought I could have matched it to some small fronts and surrounds. All is not lost though as I've not gotten the crossovers or the tweeter as of yet, so there's still time to make changes. Although I got PE's 1cu.ft enclosure, the RS180's and the RS52 mid drivers. Whats making it tough is that there's not many proven builds(probably none) that uses the 1cf enclosure for the CC that is matched up with small mains.

I'm going to have to think this over as I want small mains with a great clear sounding CC to boot(which I hear you're only gonna get with a 3way build) . hmmmmmmmm

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"