X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dennis H
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Aug 2002

QSC Horns (waveguides)

QSC is providing complete parts lists for some of their speakers and you can order the parts online. This horn looks really interesting and only costs $30. It takes a 1" bolt-on CD and a 6.5" mid. A guy over at AVS just ordered some. They don't have parts listed for the DCS SC-2150 in the pic but the HPR153i apparently uses the same horn and drivers.

• Ray Tremblay
    • Jun 2008

Im guessing that this $30 is for the lens only without the drivers?
    Being defeated is often a temporary condition. Giving up is what makes it permanent.

The Merlots
    Scanspeak R2904/7000's, Scanspeak 15M4531K00's, Dayton RSS265HF-4's, MiniDSP 2x8, Class D amplification

Comment

• augerpro
      Super Senior Member
      • Aug 2006

Great find Dennis. Here are a couple more that interest me. First is for use with a standard 1" dome tweeter: http://www.qscaudio.com/products/spe...s82/ad_s82.htm There is also an H version for 1" CD's. This looks pretty promising, considering the only other waveguide is the MCM one and that's not much of a waveguide. Here is another horn but for 1.4" CD: http://www.qscaudio.com/products/spe...pr/hpr122i.htm All of these are available from there store and are pretty cheap.
      ~Brandon 8O
      Please donate to my Waveguides for CNC and 3D Printing Project!!
      Please donate to my Monster Box Construction Methods Project!!
      DriverVault
      Soma Sonus

Comment

• ThomasW
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

A couple years ago when looking for compression horn to XO below 1kHz I had a conversation with Jon. My thought was to use a larger diameter compression driver.

Although I can't remember the specifics, Jon said for high quality sound reproduction only 1" compression drivers were worth considering due to compromises in the designs of larger units. Perhaps at some point I can get him to post his thoughts around this...

For those that don't know Jon 'cut his teeth' with pro-sound gear starting in the late 1960's, so he knows this stuff inside and out...

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Dennis H
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Aug 2002

Hey Brandon,

I was looking at a closeup of the one in the pic and also the parts-list pic. The CD mounting looks a bit weird. It looks like the driver they use has a plastic adapter on it and the adapter bolts to the horn from the back side. I guess, if nothing else, it wouldn't be that hard to build your own flat-plate adapter out of plastic or aluminum or whatever and mount about any driver.

I also noticed that the mid has a closed back and possibly a non-standard 2-bolt mount.

Attached Files

Comment

• Dennis H
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Aug 2002

Here is another horn but for 1.4" CD
            I think that's the diaphragm size. That's just how QSC describes them most of the time. The opening is 1" just like the one in the pic above. Okay, I just checked and it takes the same CD as in the pic. Looks like the plastic adapter is built into the CD and can't be ordered separately.

Comment

• Saurav
              Super Senior Member
              • Dec 2004

I noticed the closed-back midrange too. I believe I've seen one from Eminence in the PE catalog (don't remember what size), not sure who else. Also I have no idea what makes a cone midrange driver suitable for horn loading. Any suggestions?

I hadn't noticed the CD mounting mechanism in the photos. Good catch.

Comment

• ThomasW
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Saurav
                I noticed the closed-back midrange too.
                That's an unusual driver. The Unity horn uses a closed back mids, but they're the more readily available 5-1/4" units

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Dennis H
                  Ultra Senior Member
                  • Aug 2002

I don't think you'd need a closed-back mid. They probably do it so they can use the whole box volume for the woofer in the HPR series. The QSC mid and tweet drivers are so cheap that you could order a set with a horn and see how they sound. Then decide if the horn has potential and if upgrading to better drivers might be worth it.

Comment

• AJINFLA
                    • Mar 2005

Originally posted by ThomasW
                    A couple years ago when looking for compression horn to XO below 1kHz I had a conversation with Jon. My thought was to use a larger diameter compression driver.

Although I can't remember the specifics, Jon said for high quality sound reproduction only 1" compression drivers were worth considering due to compromises in the designs of larger units. Perhaps at some point I can get him to post his thoughts around this...

For those that don't know Jon 'cut his teeth' with pro-sound gear starting in the late 1960's, so he knows this stuff inside and out...
                    Hmmm. Are we talking exit or diaphragm size? If the latter, then I would have to disagree. The BMS is 1.5" and excellent, as are the 1.75" Radians. Times may have changed .

cheers,

AJ
                    Manufacturer

Comment

• ThomasW
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Aug 2000

Jon was talking about the exit size..

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

• JoshK
                        • Mar 2005

Dennis, did you get delivery of these yet? I ordered a pair. Was wondering their width.

Comment

• Dennis H
                          Ultra Senior Member
                          • Aug 2002

Josh, I ended up buying the ones from the 15" 2-way. See my comments in Brandon's driver testing thread. They need a little TLC in the throat area but I think they look promising. We'll see how Brandon's tests go as he has one too.

Comment

• JoshK
                            • Mar 2005

I bought a pair of those for kicks too. Stuff to play with.

Comment

• JoshK
                              • Mar 2005

Received all my QSC horns yesterday. I'll take pictures later and share. The round waveguide is indeed very close to the DDS-ENG 1-90. Not perfectly the same profile, but damned close. Superb bargain!

The 15" waveguide is indeed interesting looking. It will be neat to see how they test out.

The 6" driver + 1" CD waveguide (picture above) is interesting, but I am not sure the pattern control will be very low for the mid. I'd like to see how far it will controll dispersion. Anyone know what will happen if you use this above and below cutoff?

Comment

• Dennis H
                                Ultra Senior Member
                                • Aug 2002

I think QSC is crossing around 5-600 Hz.

Comment

• penngray
                                  • Sep 2007

Originally posted by JoshK
                                  Received all my QSC horns yesterday. I'll take pictures later and share. The round waveguide is indeed very close to the DDS-ENG 1-90. Not perfectly the same profile, but damned close. Superb bargain!

The 15" waveguide is indeed interesting looking. It will be neat to see how they test out.

The 6" driver + 1" CD waveguide (picture above) is interesting, but I am not sure the pattern control will be very low for the mid. I'd like to see how far it will controll dispersion. Anyone know what will happen if you use this above and below cutoff?
                                  Which QSC horn is close to the DDS-ENG 1-90?

I have the Hpr122 10" waveguide...is there a bigger one?

Comment

• JoshK
                                    • Mar 2005

yes, that one.

Comment

• EdL
                                      • Apr 2005

I've ordered some HPR152 HF Horn, part # PL-000446-GP that augerpro is using in his No Quarters.
                                      I want to investigate altering the mouth termination by adding a LeCleac'h profile.
                                      Can someone provide a formula or offer direction?
                                      Ed

Comment

• Patrick Bateman
                                        • Oct 2005

Originally posted by JoshK

The waveguide that QSC is using is designed to match the directivity of the tweeter to the directivity of the wooofer... That's why the mouth is the same width.

The "typical" solution is to use a woofer which has the same diameter as the waveguide. For instance, my Summas have a 15" woofer and a 15" waveguide.

But there's nothing stopping you from putting a waveguide on the woofer. Another bonus is that it aligns the impulse response, by moving the diaphragm of the woofer backwards. That makes the crossover easier and improves the polar response.

Good engineering here.

Comment

Working...
                                        Searching...Please wait.
                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                        Search Result for "|||"