X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • augerpro
    Super Senior Member
    • Aug 2006

Fountek FR88-EX

Hi all. Just wanted to share some results from John krutke of the new Fountek woofer that I sent him. He'll be publishing them soon, but thought I'd give a heads up since the results were pretty good for this little guy.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Fountek-FR88-EX-FR.gif
Views:	62
Size:	11.7 KB
ID:	939980

Name:	Fountek-FR88-EX-HD.gif
Views:	55
Size:	65.2 KB
ID:	939981

Compared to the RS100 I would say the only drawback is somewhat limited xmax. Response is pretty smooth and extended. If you cross higher where excursion is not much of an issue the midrange distortion in the sensitive 1-3khz is VERY good. Especially high order, which bodes well. If you really need a little driver and need to reach a high tweeter XO, this little fellow can do the job. Sensitivity for a small driver is good and impedance is reasonable too. This thing is pretty little though. 3" or not, cone diameter is about the same as teh TB W3-1364, and both are noticeably smaller than an RS100. The basket and magnet are even smaller than the TB though. Probably make a great little computer speaker.

I've been toying of an omni idea similar to RAAL's speaker from RMAF last year and was looking for little mid than has a clean upper mid and this looks promising for that.
    Last edited by theSven; 10 June 2023, 20:30 Saturday. Reason: Update image location
    ~Brandon 8O
    Please donate to my Waveguides for CNC and 3D Printing Project!!
    Please donate to my Monster Box Construction Methods Project!!
    DriverVault
    Soma Sonus
  • JonMarsh
    Mad Max Moderator
    • Aug 2000

Interesting results, Brandon. At this level, it looks pretty solid from 400 Hz to 5 or 6 kHz. The acid test is how comfortable it would be at 96 to 98 dB at 300 or 400 Hz.

~Jon
    the AudioWorx
    Natalie P
    M8ta
    Modula Neo DCC
    Modula MT XE
    Modula Xtreme
    Isiris
    Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
    Minerva Monitor
    Calliope
    Ardent D

In Development...
    Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
    Obi-Wan
    Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
    Modula PWB
    Calliope CC Supreme
    Natalie P Ultra
    Natalie P Supreme
    Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
    Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• augerpro
      Super Senior Member
      • Aug 2006

Yeah Jon, once the cone starts really moving-whether because of low XO or very high SPL-it's not quite at the level of the RS100. Still head and shoulders above the rest of the competition though. 1.5mm xmax ain't bad for 2-3" woofer after all. I was just really impressed with upper mid performance. I weight 5th order harmonics (and taller if measured) pretty high and it really excels there. Nothing really comes close in that sensitive frequency range. Definitely a driver that demands some accomodation in the design, but probably is well worth it if you do.

When I first started looking for a mid for this RAAL "clone" if you will, I already knew I'd be using 8 per speaker, and not crossed real low. I just wanted something that was CLEAN in the midrange, especially upper midrange/lower treble where it would be crossing to the tweeter. The TB W3-1364 and Dayton RS100 were purchased for listening demo's, but I'm glad I threw this in the mix too.
      ~Brandon 8O
      DriverVault
      Soma Sonus

Comment

• ThomasW
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

Originally posted by augerpro
        I've been toying of an omni idea similar to RAAL's speaker from RMAF last year and was looking for little mid than has a clean upper mid and this looks promising for that.
        Ok we're waiting......

Name:	raal-requisite-speaker3.webp
Views:	58
Size:	20.5 KB
ID:	939982

Name:	raal2_6.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	106.1 KB
ID:	939983
        Last edited by theSven; 10 June 2023, 20:31 Saturday. Reason: Update image location

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• ---k---
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Nov 2005

Thomas,
          Care to explain? The top photo I'm guessing is the RAAL. The bottom speaker??? Yours?
          - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
          CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
          CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

• ThomasW
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2000

Their both the RAAL. The top one is a close-up so it doesn't show all 18 drivers used.

Image not available
            Last edited by theSven; 10 June 2023, 20:36 Saturday. Reason: Remove broken image link

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• JonMarsh
              Mad Max Moderator
              • Aug 2000

Well, now THAT's becoming clearer.... so how much will the omni ribbon array set one back? :W

And would that be phenolic sheet used for the midrange driver array?
              the AudioWorx
              Natalie P
              M8ta
              Modula Neo DCC
              Modula MT XE
              Modula Xtreme
              Isiris
              Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
              Minerva Monitor
              Calliope
              Ardent D

In Development...
              Obi-Wan
              Modula PWB
              Calliope CC Supreme
              Natalie P Ultra
              Natalie P Supreme
              Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• augerpro
                Super Senior Member
                • Aug 2006

Heh, well Tom I didn't think I'd have time to do any speakers this summer. Now I think I will and have two projects that I MUST do. This omni ain't one. Maybe this winter :W

You kind of bummed me out posting that pic. I liked the dynamics of this speaker but that's like what, 18 mids per speaker? I didn't think it was that many...
                ~Brandon 8O
                DriverVault
                Soma Sonus

Comment

• ThomasW
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Aug 2000

Originally posted by augerpro
                  I liked the dynamics of this speaker but that's like what, 18 mids per speaker? I didn't think it was that many...
                  Those will be cheap compared to the 15 RAAL ribbons per side..... 8O

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

• Irwin AR
                    • May 2006

Thanks for posting this up early while john is finishing up with the rest of them.

The only problem in using them as a great pc setup is how to provide
                    adequate shielding. No worries on RS100 and Tb w3 fullrange tho..

From the specs i'd say the magnet use is very strong and construction
                    indicates that fields are emanating heavily from the sides?

Comment

• augerpro
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Aug 2006

I don't know many people who still have CRT's for their computer. Everything moved to LCD pretty fast, so probably not an issue for most?
                      ~Brandon 8O
                      DriverVault
                      Soma Sonus

Comment

• JonMarsh
                        Mad Max Moderator
                        • Aug 2000

You'd be surprised if you looked around our company- even in the labs- but then think of all the shielded center channel speakers being produced.

So, I'd say it's the trailing edge. Note that the RS100-4, which has better voltage sensitivity and smoother frequency response, is not shielded. That's also a point in it's favor, as that reduces the rear masking.

At home I've been all LCD since about 2003, so one of the things I'm thinking about is a small MTM based on the RS-100-4 wired in series (8 ohm load), probably with an extra pair of D26CN55 I found a couple of weeks ago- NOS.
                        the AudioWorx
                        Natalie P
                        M8ta
                        Modula Neo DCC
                        Modula MT XE
                        Modula Xtreme
                        Isiris
                        Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                        Minerva Monitor
                        Calliope
                        Ardent D

In Development...
                        Obi-Wan
                        Modula PWB
                        Calliope CC Supreme
                        Natalie P Ultra
                        Natalie P Supreme
                        Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

Working...
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"