X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bukem
    • Mar 2008

Removal of phase plug - Seas Excel

Is it possible to remove the phase plug on a recent seas excel magnesium driver? How is it fastened?

Many thanks,

Bukem
  • Paul Ebert
    • May 2004

Originally posted by Bukem
    Is it possible to remove the phase plug on a recent seas excel magnesium driver? How is it fastened?

Many thanks,

Bukem
    Well, even if you can, it will most likely have an impact on the performance parameters since it is copper. I doubt it would be a sonic improvement.

Comment

• tf1216
      • Apr 2006

E-mail Paul

Comment

• Dennis H
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Aug 2002

If you want to pull it off just to look, the screw on the back of the driver threads into the phase plug. The plug also holds in a copper shorting ring and both can be removed without damaging the driver. That said, I can't see any reason to remove it unless you want to build a coax like Paul does.

Comment

• Bukem
          • Mar 2008

Thanks for your replies.

Dennis: does the shorting ring separate from the phase plug?

The reason being that I'm looking into using the magnesium drivers but I just hate the look of that "flashy" copper phase plug. So I was wondering, what would be the consequences if I'd replace it with a different one, or paint the copper one.

Would it alter the ferquency response (much?) if I'd mount a different phase plug, something Eton style perhaps?

Comment

• davey_m
            • Nov 2008

Originally posted by Bukem
            Thanks for your replies.

Dennis: does the shorting ring separate from the phase plug?

The reason being that I'm looking into using the magnesium drivers but I just hate the look of that "flashy" copper phase plug. So I was wondering, what would be the consequences if I'd replace it with a different one, or paint the copper one.

Would it alter the ferquency response (much?) if I'd mount a different phase plug, something Eton style perhaps?

Removing the phase plug will affect distortion. Changing the design of the plug may have the same effect depending on the design. If you don't like the copper plug I suggest you just paint it.

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"