X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • niget2002
    • Aug 2007

outdoor speakers

Anyone ever use marine grade speakers and fiberglass to make an outdoor speaker?

I know the sound quality wouldn't be the best, but the missus has made a request for some.

I guess, given the use, buying a set of cheapies may be easier, but it sure wouldn't be as much fun.
  • ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

What's the budget? What are your size limits? How loud do you want them to play?

Are these going to be exposed to salt water? If not you can use a more normal speaker. Are they going to be outside year around?

Where do you live? Dallas?

The 'box' can be a exterior grade ply covered with a laminated fiberglass top coat.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• niget2002
      • Aug 2007

Budget = unknown (wife didn't specify, but we just bought the house, so not much)
      Size Limits = Would like to fit under the eaves
      How loud = Nice ambiance for parties, not loud enough to have to yell over when talking to the guy at the grill (me)
      Exposed to salt = no
      Outside year round = yes
      Live/Dallas = Yes, North Dallas couple of blocks from Lake Lewisville

I've built boats in the past, so my waterproofing capabilities are pretty good. We've always bought marine grade speakers for the boat and I didn't know if I needed to do the same in this case. The patio faces north.

I made a post on an audio forum to get more ideas about the setup itself, and then came here for the speakers

Comment

• ThomasW
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

Eaves vary in size. If you want small use someones poly coned car audio coax.

If you want something a little more manly, PE has a 12" closeout coax, see P/N 299-450. Paint the cone, not the dust cap with a layer of silicone seal thinned with lacquer thinner/Toluene/etc.

Another option is the so called JBL Econo-waveguide/Selenium compression driver combo and a low buck high output pro-sound 10" or 12"

BTW another sealing option instead of fiberglass would be to paint the cab with truck bed liner...

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• chasw98
          Super Senior Member
          • Jan 2006

If you go with a horn/cone driver or just a cone driver of some sort, make sure you plan to put a grill made up of some sort of screen over it to keep out the natural bugs and things that live outdoors. Nothing like digging old spiders out of your cones!

Chuck

Comment

• savage25xtreme
            • Dec 2008

Originally posted by ThomasW
            Where do you live? Dallas?
            I'm pretty sure Thomas has IP addresses memorized so he knows where everyone lives... plus or minus a few miles haha :E
            Gavin

BAMTM Build

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"