X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Amphiprion
    • Apr 2006

Inductance of wirewound sand cast resistors

Praxis was giving me problems today while I was taking some T/S measurements, so I set up a simple resistive divider using a 1/4W 100 ohm 1% metal film resistor and a 25 ohm 25W sand cast resistor from Madisound. This eliminated the driver from the equation so I could see what was really happening with my setup. But it also made for a chance to measure the inductance of the wirewound resistor since I had a nice metal film to measure it against.

Here's the measurement from Praxis of the 25 ohm 25W wirewound sand cast. Markers are set at ~20Hz and ~25kHz. Measurement taken with Praxis and an Audiophile 2496 sound card (set to 96kHz sampling rate).

Also, CAIG Deoxit works wonders - I'll shortly be cleaning all the contacts in my system with it. It fixed my Praxis issue real quick.
    Attached Files
  • ---k---
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Nov 2005

Mark,
    I basically slept through my one electrical engineering course and forgot everything else. So help me out. I'm looking at that graph and thinking it looks perfect - flat and 25 ohms all the way across. Is that the point, or did I miss something?
    - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
    CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
    CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

• Amphiprion
      • Apr 2006

Yep, that's the point. No inductance of any significance for a cheapie no-brand sand cast from Madisound.

Comment

• ---k---
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Nov 2005

I thought that was the point you were making.

You got a PE one to test? A while ago, someone had smashed one and posted pictures of it, and was complaining it wasn't good. I don't remember.
        - Ryan

Comment

• JonP
          • Apr 2006

Heh... here we go again...

I seem to remember some trolling like thread about that some time back.

Something like "the more expensive non-inductives aren't any less inductive than the cheaper ones... Ripoff!!" And we're talking something like $1 and $2 resistors... :roll:

I did measurements on various kinds of power resistors with a $3K Hioki LCR meter we have at work... they all were very low in the inductance department. Like single digits to 10's of microhenries. Not millihenries, MICROhenries... That could matter for RF, but for our way down low, near DC Audio Frequencies... it's nothing.

Seems the inductance of wirewounds that are of small value, (like we use for crossovers) is so small you don't really need the "non-inductive" wound ones. If you had a 10K or 100K power resistor with hundreds or thousands of turns, you'd have inductance enough to warrant the counter wound non-inductive types that reduce it...

Comment

• ---k---
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Nov 2005

Originally posted by JonP
            Heh... here we go again...
            You're probably right. Luckily, we have Thomas's iron fisted moderation.
            - Ryan

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"