X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Face
    • Mar 2007

Seas Excel W26FX 001 in a ported box?

Since I've switched my mid over from an Nextel coated driver to a Magnesium cone, my current woofer is an eyesore.

I already have a 3L ported cabinet built for my SEAS Prestige L26RFX's. It appears if I were to switch over to W26FX's, I would only have to change the port length. My only concern is that I've only heard of people using this driver in sealed enclosures. I would consider building new cabinets(if I have to), but I don't know if I would be happy with the low end rolling off sooner.

Honestly, the only thing really holding me back is cost. I don't understand why the W26FX's are more than double the price of L26RFX's. :roll:

FYI, I'm only using my woofers up to 350hz with a 3LR LP.

Or maybe I should just build some grills and not worry about it.

Mike
    SEOS 12/AE TD10M Front Stage in Progress
  • Dave Bullet
    • Jul 2007

3 litres?

I think you'll find the W26 and L26 model similarly when it comes to enclosure alignment. Both have the same issues regarding unloading and exceeding xmax. A tweak of the port length likely all that might be required.

Jed recommended sealed to me on the L26 some time back (about 47L). I think ported the optimal flat alignment was about 90L with a 4" port 4" long (from memory). Of course this didn't allow for room gain so flat down to 30Hz or so might be a bit boomy in your typical room.

I think sealed will be the way I go when I eventually build the L26 based 3-way.

Comment

• Face
      • Mar 2007

Sorry, 3ft3.

Thanks for your response.

Comment

• Jed
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Apr 2005

I've used the L26 and W26 in my Duet10 design. I like them better ported. You can do 60L tuned low and the bass is amazing.

The W26 is much more expensive because it has the better excel motor. You can see a comparison of the RS270, L26, and W26 in my website under the testing section.

Comment

• Curt C
          • Feb 2005

If I were putting the W26 in a 3 ft^3 vented enclosure I’d tune it very low, perhaps 18 Hz. This will result in the emulation of a 2nd order sealed transfer function down to below f10. The transient response won’t quite be a good as a closed box, but still much better than a maximally flat alignment. The f3 of around 30 Hz. Vs. 45 Hz. sealed is attractive as well, so it may be an acceptable tradeoff. Since you already have the enclosure, I see no reason not to try it. The port will be fairly long, but its first resonance is still above your passband. I calculated a 3” x 17” port, and of course flares will make it that much longer. Plugging the port will result in a Qtc of .6, and about the same f3 as a Qtc of .7, so you can try it both way and choose your preference.

C
          Curt's Speaker Design Works

Comment

• Face
            • Mar 2007

Curt, what length would I need for a 4" port, 12.7"?

Thanks for the info guys. Now it's time to figure out when I can fit this in the budget.

Comment

• Curt C
              • Feb 2005

A quite ungainly 32” will be required for a 4” port, and the fundamental port resonance will be within your passband.
              IME, A 10" driver and a 3” flared port, can perform at respectable listening levels without audible port noise.

Yes, and they are a bit spendy, aren’t they? 8O

C
              Curt's Speaker Design Works

Comment

• Face
                • Mar 2007

Thanks again.

Comment

• Face
                  • Mar 2007

You guys are a baaaaaad influence.

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"