X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • NyxOne
    • Jan 2008

Looking for something small

Hi everyone,

My wife wants to have a small stereo system to replace the TV speakers. The only problem is that it must small (bose small), less then 7 liter and located close to wall (less than a foot).

So obviously what I'm looking for is a fullrange or 2 way with a woofer ranging from 3 Inch to 4.5 inch. They don't need to go low or achieve high SPL. They will probably be crossed to a subwoofer in the 80-100hz region.

I've searched thru HTGuide and found Lineup F4 and D4 but the enclosure looks too big (just by looking at the picture, i haven't found the volume) and the D4 tweeter is gone (RIP D26).

I've found Zaph B3S and N3S design but i'd like to have more options! Something with a small tweeter a bit like the Amethyst Micro Monitor ?! In the full range departement and also considered : MarkAudio CHR70 & CSS FR125.

Any suggestions or comments are welcome,
    Chuck
  • Undefinition
    • Dec 2006

Originally posted by NyxOne
    I've found Zaph B3S and N3S design but i'd like to have more options! Something with a small tweeter a bit like the Amethyst Micro Monitor ?! In the full range departement and also considered : MarkAudio CHR70 & CSS FR125.
    I think that "Amethyst" looks like a really solid design.
    In a similar vein, there is my "Buggles" design, which uses the HiVi B4N + Dayton ND20. The box is pretty small (4.5 Liters). (I also did a version with the M4N--which does better midrange than the B4N--but it's sealed, and thus needs to cross to a sub) I haven't gotten around to finishing the writeup for them, but I have all the cabinet drawings and XO diagrams if you're interested.

Also, Wolf (from Parts Express board) has a similar design called the "Sophomores," which uses the HiVi M4N + TN25
    Isn't it about time we started answering rhetorical questions?
    Paul Carmody's DIY Speaker Site

Comment

• NyxOne
      • Jan 2008

Originally posted by Undefinition
      I think that "Amethyst" looks like a really solid design.
      In a similar vein, there is my "Buggles" design, which uses the HiVi B4N + Dayton ND20. The box is pretty small (4.5 Liters). (I also did a version with the M4N--which does better midrange than the B4N--but it's sealed, and thus needs to cross to a sub) I haven't gotten around to finishing the writeup for them, but I have all the cabinet drawings and XO diagrams if you're interested.

Also, Wolf (from Parts Express board) has a similar design called the "Sophomores," which uses the HiVi M4N + TN25
      I might be interested in the B4N version! I've read (PE forum) that you are planning on making a version with less BSC ? It would allow me put them very close to the wall (like a said, <1ft, almost wall mount)? Are still planing to do it ?

---------------------------------------------
      EDIT : I've just took a look at Zaph measurement of the TN25 his level of distortion is pretty high compared to Dayton_ND20FA-6 OR Dayton_ND16FA-6 and their price is pretty much the same! Is there any reason why you choose the TN25 ?
      ---------------------------------------------

Thanks for the input Undefinition,
      Chuck

Comment

• BOBinGA
        • Mar 2009

Chuck,
        Take a look at Roman's Microbe SE:

It's a little more expensive, but the components are top notch.

-Bob
        -Bob

The PEDS 2.1 mini system
        My A7 Project - another small desktop speaker
        The B3 Hybrid Dipole - thread incomplete and outdated

Comment

• Jed
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Apr 2005

If you want to help me build the new D4 replacement let me know. Maybe you could send boxes and we could order the parts together. Then I'll measure it and send everything to you when done.

I'd like to do a TM with W4 1337 and the Seas 22Taf-g.

Comment

• NyxOne
            • Jan 2008

Originally posted by BOBinGA
            Chuck,
            Take a look at Roman's Microbe SE:

It's a little more expensive, but the components are top notch.

-Bob
            BOBinGA,

I already know them and I'm sure they're great but like I said I'm looking for something small... really small, less then 7 liter. I pretty sure those are bigger than that and looking at the sensitivity (81db) of final system they must have at least 4 db of BSC (not good when close to a wall like I want it to).

The price is not an object here (don't go wild with this statement). I don't mind putting a few extra buck to have good sound!

Thanks for the input BOBinGA,
            Chuck

Comment

• NyxOne
              • Jan 2008

Originally posted by Jed
              If you want to help me build the new D4 replacement let me know. Maybe you could send boxes and we could order the parts together. Then I'll measure it and send everything to you when done.

I'd like to do a TM with W4 1337 and the Seas 22Taf-g.
              Hi Jed,

interesting offer especially from you Jed! ;x( ;x(

Unfortunately i must decline your offer as I'm pretty sure W4 1337 require >= 7 liter (I haven't done anything simulation and can't right now... [I'm not at home]). Like I said this project is driven by my wife, not me... so I need something small. Also I don't know if she would agree to wait any longer since it's been a while since she first asked me ... (I'm a bit on the lazy side).

EDIT : Well now that i'm home i've done some simulation and it looks like the W4 1337 can fit well in a very small enclosure! (<5 liter) . One thing is sure, the F4 is now my list! I'll read the thread about it ASAP.

Again, thanks for the generous offer Jed,
              Chuck
              Last edited by NyxOne; 06 May 2009, 20:30 Wednesday.

Comment

• HareBrained
                • Jul 2008

Here's a speaker that I designed and got spousal acceptance:

You could build it sealed in 5L and still integrate with a sub. The woofers are shielded and they sound really good. If you have Nik Brewer cut the baffles, it's a simple build.
                John

Comment

• NyxOne
                  • Jan 2008

Originally posted by HareBrained
                  Here's a speaker that I designed and got spousal acceptance:

You could build it sealed in 5L and still integrate with a sub. The woofers are shielded and they sound really good. If you have Nik Brewer cut the baffles, it's a simple build.
                  Hi HareBrained,

huummm.... this design is a bit over my maximum allowed volume (vented) but the fact that it's an MTM, cheap and can get low is very tempting!!! It's a shame that you don't have any measurement! In any case this one is on my list now!

EDIT : BTW, what's a "Nik Brewer" !? Any pics/url?

Thanks for your input HareBrained,
                  Chuck

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"