X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • CraigJ
    • Feb 2006

Originally posted by Dennis H
    Hey Dan,
    I sorta missed the 'econo' part of your thread title.
    Dennis,

I think Dan is talking about this speaker: http://audiokarma.org/forums/showthr...14#post1856214 called the Econowave. Does anyone know if Earl ever get around to testing it?

Dan, what ever happened to this combo you were working on; BMS+DSS+RS225=? HT Mains?

Craig

Comment

• NEO Dan
      • Nov 2007

Craig,
      you've found the rabbit hole. Be careful you could get lost in there....

as for the previous "Ideas"
      I got schooled on a few things...
      DSS = bad quality
      RSS = C-T-C too far

So I keep coming back with questions, eventually someone won't object.
      Regards
      Dan

Comment

• ThomasW
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

Here's the RCF H-100

I think the screw-on DDS ENG waveguides are still ok, that's what Emerald Physics is using in their most expensive system.

Dan,

Thanks for the offer but I'll be buying a couple of the Selenium drivers as soon as I figure out whether to get screw-on or bolt on.

I'm revisiting the Whisper design I did many years ago, but this time every thing will be dipole except the tweeter. I'll augment the front tweeter with a rear firing tweeter, possibly something as strange as a piezo horn.

I found a rather bizarre very shallow oval WG/horn. With a DE250 attached and using a 1.5kHz XO point it sounds like a dome tweeter.

To date I've only been playing with a single speaker. I'll post more about all this when I have a stereo pair up and running. That will probably be next week because I was kidnapped this week and have been forced to help a local fellow build a pair of 'Elsinores'

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• JoshK
          • Mar 2005

I noticed the pictures of your shop in helping Tyson build his Elsinores. I even think we see a pic of you.

This is an interesting thread. After hearing Geddes' theater, I've had a fascination with HE pro-like speakers for HT. They just have the oomph that makes movies that much more impressive. Would like to experiment with a budget not-too-huge HE monitor for my HT. That will be after I finish up my current speaker project.

Comment

• augerpro
            Super Senior Member
            • Aug 2006

usspeaker has this FaitalPro 12" woofer on sale for $125 until the end of the month. Looks to be a very nice woofer for the price.
            ~Brandon 8O
            Please donate to my Waveguides for CNC and 3D Printing Project!!
            Please donate to my Monster Box Construction Methods Project!!
            DriverVault
            Soma Sonus

Comment

• ThomasW
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2000

Originally posted by JoshK
              I noticed the pictures of your shop in helping Tyson build his Elsinores. I even think we see a pic of you.
              Don't tell anyone ......

This is an interesting thread. After hearing Geddes' theater, I've had a fascination with HE pro-like speakers for HT. They just have the oomph that makes movies that much more impressive.
              I heard the Summas a few years ago at the RMAF. It's certainly an interesting system that plays at ear bleeding levels with a modest receiver.

That said.....

Most people are crippled by having modest to low Vd systems, this limits the output (power response). Going with compression drivers and larger woofers (or a ton of smaller woofers) provides a level of impact/clarity/low distortion not available from standard smallish tower or satellite/sub systems.

This is one reason I've always built REALLY BIG loudspeakers for main systems. As they say, "there's no replacement for displacement".... :B

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• chasw98
                Super Senior Member
                • Jan 2006

Originally posted by CraigJ
                Dennis,

Does anyone know if Earl ever get around to testing it?

Craig
                I have been reading quite a bit lately and have the Geddes test of the $10 JBL horn, but it is on my PC at home. Here is a link to a paper he wrote comparing a JBL horn w/Selenium driver to another horn.

In the paper he shows why the JBL is not a waveguide and why it is not CD. Unfortunantely he does not mention the model of the JBL horn. I will try and find the link to the Geddes answer in the Econowave thread.

Chuck

Comment

• JoshK
                  • Mar 2005

Originally posted by ThomasW
                  That said.....

Most people are crippled by having modest to low Vd systems, this limits the output (power response). Going with compression drivers and larger woofers (or a ton of smaller woofers) provides a level of impact/clarity/low distortion not available from standard smallish tower or satellite/sub systems.

This is one reason I've always built REALLY BIG loudspeakers for main systems. As they say, "there's no replacement for displacement".... :B
                  We're in agreement on this. I like HE for other reasons, but the Vd is a huge factor in above mentioned subjective performance. It is just that often they come together, but not always.

Comment

• NEO Dan
                    • Nov 2007

Originally posted by augerpro
                    usspeaker has this FaitalPro 12" woofer on sale for $125 until the end of the month. Looks to be a very nice woofer for the price.
                    WOW Brandon,
                    nice find!!! I was looking at 10" and 8" but those.....

blah blah blah....

I ordered a pair.... :B

and 2 each of the JBL #'s: 338800-001 & 364914-001

The bigger # 354267-001 is backordered. I'll check back on them till I get some to test with.
                    Regards
                    Dan

Comment

• augerpro
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Aug 2006

I'll be very interested to see some plots of those woofers!!

The 354267-001 looks good, isn't it for a 1.5" CD though? What info do you have on the other two? What speaker series are they from?

I found the waveguides on the AE Compact and EVO series are worth looking at too. 336683-001 for the EVO. The AE is confusing, there seem to be three, but these parts numbers should be a good lead: 364914-001, PT-B99HF-1, PT-D126HF-1, PT-D95HF-1
                      ~Brandon 8O
                      DriverVault
                      Soma Sonus

Comment

• NEO Dan
                        • Nov 2007

ARRGGGG, Are you sure???
                        let me look.....

WERE GOOD, it's 1" screw on. The 2408H is the OEM version of the BMS 4540nd.
                        Regards
                        Dan

Comment

• augerpro
                          Super Senior Member
                          • Aug 2006

Huh, that link still says 1.5" for the HF. You're sure it's the 4540Nd OEM?

Sucks that it's screw on, I already have some DE250's to use. I'll have to see if there any adaptors tha won't muck up the works.
                          ~Brandon 8O
                          DriverVault
                          Soma Sonus

Comment

• NEO Dan
                            • Nov 2007

Methinks that's the VC size, this driver is built like the newer ring radiator tweeters.

Click image for larger version

Name:	10-297-2408-dia.webp
Views:	84
Size:	22.4 KB
ID:	938546

2408H 37.5 mm (1.5 in) annular polymer diaphragm, neodymium compression driver is mounted to a 70-degree x 70-degree horn.
                            Last edited by theSven; 04 June 2023, 12:50 Sunday. Reason: Update image location
                            Regards
                            Dan

Comment

• NEO Dan
                              • Nov 2007

Originally posted by augerpro
                              Huh, that link still says 1.5" for the HF. You're sure it's the 4540Nd OEM?

Sucks that it's screw on, I already have some DE250's to use. I'll have to see if there any adaptors tha won't muck up the works.
                              Thanks for pointing this out...
                              Looks like someone at JBL made a change, for the better 8)
                              Regards
                              Dan

Comment

• NEO Dan
                                • Nov 2007

Brandon,
                                what I heard about the JBL/BMS relationship was that JBL liked the driver so they bought the rights to manufacture it themselves. But when it came to the diaphragm they could not get it right so BMS still makes those for JBL.

But the NOW I see that JBL has flipped the motor on to the back of the driver...
                                Taking out the four screws lets you remove the thread mount swap out the diaphragm...

Name:	91119.webp
Views:	84
Size:	7.8 KB
ID:	938547

You could machine it to your liking to match a horn throat and or a custom exit angle & length. OR... you could leave it off and not be stuck with a 1" throat... LET THE HIGH PERFORMANCE BEGIN :B

Name:	10-297-2408-f-dia.webp
Views:	81
Size:	19.7 KB
ID:	938548

...This is sort of the "Final Frontier" of DIY horns when you can tailor the driver exit all the way back to the origin like this. I think you'd need to taper the horn throat down to somewhere between 1/2" & 3/4", but a quick look inside the thread adapter piece will tell the story.

The JBL even though it's a thread mount is probably internally shallower than a large portion of the ferrite drivers with the diaphragm on the back

Here's a couple pics of the BMS for comparison:

Name:	4540ndFront.webp
Size:	14.3 KB
ID:	938549 Click image for larger version

Name:	4540Back.webp
Size:	10.8 KB
ID:	938550

Name:	4540ndDia.webp
Views:	82
Size:	22.7 KB
ID:	938551
                                Last edited by theSven; 04 June 2023, 12:51 Sunday. Reason: Update image location
                                Regards
                                Dan

Comment

• mikec
                                  • Mar 2005

Originally posted by NEO Dan
                                  So I wanna take a shot at these and I'm wondering if anyone else has found a woofer with a complementary polar response?
                                  I'm building a variation of the e-wave using the Eminence Delta-10A. My twist is that it's an MTM dipole. The 10a woofers model well with the JBL PT-F95/D220ti.

Comment

• NEO Dan
                                    • Nov 2007

Is that going to be a 2 or 2.5 way?
                                    Regards
                                    Dan

Comment

• mikec
                                      • Mar 2005

MTM 2-way crossed somewhere between 1.5 and 2.2kHz. I'll know exactly where once I measure the drivers on my baffles.

Comment

• JoshK
                                        • Mar 2005

Just another option for comparison. B&C 10PS26 which Geddes uses in the Nathan is $140 here:
                                        Pro Sound Service, Inc. offers design, installation and service of professional audio / video systems in the Boston & Cambridge area, specializing in houses of worship, schools, restaurants and night clubs. We sell and service speakers, amplifiers, DSPs, and repair parts for many brands in our Braintree showroom. Give us a call at (877) 776-7631 for help with your next project.

Comment

• augerpro
                                          Super Senior Member
                                          • Aug 2006

I like the prices at that dealer.
                                          ~Brandon 8O
                                          DriverVault
                                          Soma Sonus

Comment

• augerpro
                                            Super Senior Member
                                            • Aug 2006

Here is a cheapy horn at PE: http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=270-304

Pretty much the same as the econo JBL but taller, close to 8" which should help keep the flaring low enough to just get away with mid-1khz crossover.
                                            ~Brandon 8O
                                            DriverVault
                                            Soma Sonus

Comment

• NEO Dan
                                              • Nov 2007

I found out I was wrong on the price on this. It turns out that the price is for parts to recone the driver...

another 12" option from JBL @ $164, very Star Trek
                                              MODEL 262H

Name:	262H-1.webp
Views:	79
Size:	7.2 KB
ID:	938552

FS 54
                                              QTS .34
                                              QMS 5.23
                                              QES .36
                                              VAS 66
                                              EFF 2.7
                                              PE 300
                                              XMAX 16
                                              RE 5.5
                                              LE 1.5
                                              SD 560
                                              BI 17.3
                                              MMS 58
                                              FLUX 0.52
                                              Last edited by theSven; 04 June 2023, 12:52 Sunday. Reason: Update image location
                                              Regards
                                              Dan

Comment

• NEO Dan
                                                • Nov 2007

Brandon,
                                                I found the bolt on version $WG:
                                                Is there a "not so Economy" version for this waveguide? Maybe a BMS driver, JBL 2226 and premium crossover components? Would we need a new crossover for a BMS driver?Skip the Fatty and check these out: 2452H SL's on "not so Economy" PT-F95HF waveguides. Zilch has done a lot of work with the...
                                                Regards
                                                Dan

Comment

• augerpro
                                                  Super Senior Member
                                                  • Aug 2006

Cool. There were a couple waveguides from the AC Compact series that looked pretty good too. Well, assuming the price was reasonable. I had that one you just posted written down, I think it's from the EVO series. There seem to be a lot of similar designs by different manufacturers. I wonder how that rib on the side improves the sound radiation? I wish they had made a better attempt at making the mouth transition smoothly to the baffle. Like the PE one I just posted. And a lot of others. I think if there is a compromise it shouldn't be at the mouth. The foam can do nothing to help there.

The PAudio PH3220 is also pretty nice, pretty similar to the PE, but better material. $67 though.

I'm warming up to this PE horn though. This matched to the DE12 and FaitalPro might be pretty nice. And reasonably priced. What do you think Dan?
                                                  Last edited by augerpro; 08 May 2009, 23:43 Friday.
                                                  ~Brandon 8O
                                                  DriverVault
                                                  Soma Sonus

Comment

• NEO Dan
                                                    • Nov 2007

I think the DE12 will not be happy running that low, it's literally a 1" inverted dome so the SD is small. Methinks the PE Horn will sound like a "horn". But cheap is cheap. You could always take a router to the 6" x 6" and remove the thread mount stub to try your conventional dome tweeter idea.

E-Wave electrical:
                                                    this should handle tons of power right up till you vapoo-rise the VC :E

Name:	EWaveBode.webp
Size:	17.7 KB
ID:	938553
                                                    Last edited by theSven; 04 June 2023, 12:55 Sunday. Reason: Update image location
                                                    Regards
                                                    Dan

Comment

• augerpro
                                                      Super Senior Member
                                                      • Aug 2006

Well I think all these cheapies will probably sound like horns. But you were looking at those other cheapies and I don't see how this is any worse than any of them, especially the econo JBL horn. The MRX waveguide is worth a good look though I think. I'll have to call JBL an order a couple, you can't beat $10 to experiment.

From the testing I've seen of the DE10, and the fact that Geddes uses them below 2khz, I think the the DE12 will do mid-1khz, if only just barely. B&C specs 2.2khz @ 2nd order and they are pretty conservative, especially if this is for home use. Of course most sub-$100 CD's won't go low, particularly on the tiny horns people put on them, so you demand more from the woofer. That's probably a worse tradeoff most of the time since I've yet to see any cheap 12" pro woofers that will do 2khz clean. Assuming the factory plot is reasonably accurate, those FaitalPro's you bought are probably the only ones.

Already did and discarded the hifi dome on a waveguide idea. I think if you get a lucky match it can have some value, but the only waveguide is really the MCM, and it just doesn't have the pattern control I'm looking for. So I'm done with that idea until something better hits the market.
                                                      ~Brandon 8O
                                                      DriverVault
                                                      Soma Sonus

Comment

• NEO Dan
                                                        • Nov 2007

My mistake on the 1" that is the DE10. The DE12 is a 1.4" so at least it's got a fighting chance. My guess is that the harper is pushing the lower limit to the edge, into YMMV territory.
                                                        Regards
                                                        Dan

Comment

• NEO Dan
                                                          • Nov 2007

Brandon,
                                                          Have you tried Evernote? A friend from work turned me on to it, AWESOME to keep stuff organised. It's FREE unless you need to upload more than 40 megs per month.

There are youtube videos with lots of creative ways to use it, check it out...
                                                          Regards
                                                          Dan

Comment

• mikec
                                                            • Mar 2005

Here is a revised model of my D220ti/Delta-10A MTM combo. (The HF curve is an actual measurement; the woofer is based on manufacturer data).

Looks like it should cross nicely at 2.6kHz with some mild overlap.
                                                            Attached Files

Comment

• Dennis H
                                                              Ultra Senior Member
                                                              • Aug 2002

Brandon,
                                                              I found the bolt on version $WG:
                                                              http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/sho...postcount=1301
                                                              Dan, the PT-F95HF is for a 1.5" driver.

I waited nearly three years for them to become available, PT-F95HF, the "Compact" version of the 90° x 50° Progressive Transition waveguide, JBL Pro part# 338650-001, ~$100 apiece, now used in this product with 2452H-SL drivers: http://www.jblpro.com/installedsound/vpseries/specsheets/JBL_VP7212MDP.v5.pdf 1) Certainly beefier than the $10 version for 1" thread-on drivers (338800-001), and seems like it will independently support Nd drivers. 2) Front view. Same size as the other

Comment

• AJINFLA
                                                                • Mar 2005

Originally posted by mikec
                                                                I'm building a variation of the e-wave using the Eminence Delta-10A. My twist is that it's an MTM dipole. The 10a woofers model well with the JBL PT-F95/D220ti.
                                                                HE? Dipole?
                                                                Careful Mac. You're on the edge of the abyss.

cheers,

AJ
                                                                Manufacturer

Comment

• mikec
                                                                  • Mar 2005

Originally posted by AJINFLA
                                                                  HE? Dipole?
                                                                  Careful Mac. You're on the edge of the abyss.

cheers,

AJ
                                                                  I can't help it AJ. I'm a former Orion addict who hasn't fully recovered.

Comment

• DS-21
                                                                    Senior Member
                                                                    • Jun 2005

another 12" option from JBL @ $164, very Star Trek
                                                                    MODEL 262H
                                                                    Where'd you find that one listed for sale? Only thing I could find was the 262H-1, which has 2.5mm of xmax and seems to cost $190 shipped.

That one looks potentially fun for a bandpass sub.

Comment

• NEO Dan
                                                                      Senior Member
                                                                      • Nov 2007

There are a few variants of the 262, hopefully it's not a typo...

Name:	262x.webp
Size:	16.8 KB
ID:	938554

I'll check on the pricing from JBL, I've got some other parts to inquire about.
                                                                      262H (361082-001X)
                                                                      262H-1 (363916-003X)
                                                                      Last edited by theSven; 04 June 2023, 12:55 Sunday. Reason: Update image info
                                                                      Regards
                                                                      Dan

Comment

• JoshK
                                                                        Senior Member
                                                                        • Mar 2005

Is it just me or does the 16mm xmax for the 262H seem suspect. Its is much larger than the others without any major other spec change. This doesn't seem likely. Wouldn't the Mms go up for the larger xmax and change other parameters too?

Comment

• NEO Dan
                                                                          Senior Member
                                                                          • Nov 2007

It's hard to say either way because it's a dual coil dual gap motor. I hope the MRX512M sports more x-max than the H-1 though.
                                                                          Regards
                                                                          Dan

Comment

• augerpro
                                                                            Super Senior Member
                                                                            • Aug 2006
                                                                            • 1867

Dan I PM'ed you regarding testing the FaitalPro woofer.
                                                                            ~Brandon 8O
                                                                            DriverVault
                                                                            Soma Sonus

Comment

• NEO Dan
                                                                              Senior Member
                                                                              • Nov 2007
                                                                              • 113

#83
                                                                              I see. The drivers are comming via UPS ground to me in Ohio. I was not provided with a shipping confirmation or tracking info so my best guess is I'll have them sometime late in the week. I'm not keen on the DIY Klippel testing of this driver, there are others that I can donate for that. Why not see about hosting the Klippel that DIYMA makes so very little use of?
                                                                              Regards
                                                                              Dan

Comment

• augerpro
                                                                                Super Senior Member
                                                                                • Aug 2006
                                                                                • 1867

#84
                                                                                I'm not using a Klippel tester, just trying to use the performance based method he outlined in the same paper as his parameter based method (which is the method used for his machine). Not sure if I'll be able to do it, and I'm looking at other ideas that I can substitute. The whole idea is my desire to get a better idea of what real xmax is for a driver.

I may end up just doing the normal sweeps and multitone testing that I've always done too. We'll see. I have to research it this week. I already have a commitment for an AE TD12M, which I've been wondering about forever. Hopefully I can get a couple other interesting drivers in the mix. Horn testing is also being thrown around, but I have to make sure that I have a measurement that is an accurate representation, including indication of HOM's.
                                                                                ~Brandon 8O
                                                                                DriverVault
                                                                                Soma Sonus

Comment

• NEO Dan
                                                                                  Senior Member
                                                                                  • Nov 2007
                                                                                  • 113

#85
                                                                                  So the 12PR300's arrived today. Unscathed thanks to the great packing job from US Speaker.

Name:	1-Packing.webp
Views:	76
Size:	77.6 KB
ID:	938560

And then there's the packaging itself, the woofer actually is in it's own shock absorber :T

Name:	2-DSCN3807.webp
Views:	80
Size:	21.0 KB
ID:	938555

Name:	3-DSCN3808.webp
Size:	38.2 KB
ID:	938556

Name:	4-DSCN3809.webp
Views:	78
Size:	37.4 KB
ID:	938559

And the build quality looks to be in line with the price.

Name:	5-DSCN3810.webp
Size:	19.0 KB
ID:	938557

Name:	6-DSCN3811.webp
Views:	75
Size:	27.0 KB
ID:	938558

Name:	7-DSCN3812.webp
Views:	74
Size:	50.0 KB
ID:	938561

Name:	8-DSCN3813.webp
Views:	71
Size:	44.6 KB
ID:	938563

Name:	9-DSCN3814.webp
Size:	42.4 KB
ID:	938562

This concludes to days dose of driver porn :B
                                                                                  Attached Files
                                                                                  Last edited by theSven; 04 June 2023, 13:00 Sunday. Reason: Update image location
                                                                                  Regards
                                                                                  Dan

Comment

• chasw98
                                                                                    Super Senior Member
                                                                                    • Jan 2006
                                                                                    • 1360

#86
                                                                                    Nice!

Comment

• augerpro
                                                                                      Super Senior Member
                                                                                      • Aug 2006
                                                                                      • 1867

#87
                                                                                      That's a nice looking woofer...how much were these with shipping? Looks pretty well built, with good spider venting on the bottom. Is there any polepeice vent? Might be little holes that are not obvious somewhere. Look through those spider vents and see if the cone or former has holes in it.

I think these are the darkhorse in the <$150 area. I'm betting these will be very good performers.
                                                                                      ~Brandon 8O
                                                                                      DriverVault
                                                                                      Soma Sonus

Comment

• NEO Dan
                                                                                        Senior Member
                                                                                        • Nov 2007
                                                                                        • 113

#88
                                                                                        Brandon,
                                                                                        when will you be ready to test & what's your turn around time looking like?

It appears the only venting is through the mesh on the bottom
                                                                                        Regards
                                                                                        Dan

Comment

• augerpro
                                                                                          Super Senior Member
                                                                                          • Aug 2006
                                                                                          • 1867

#89
                                                                                          Well I'll have a TD12M here in about two weeks. I won't start testing before then since I need to hash out what kind of distortion testing I'll be doing. I'd also like to build a new test baffle and jig for impedance testing before then. Probably have the woofers on hand for one or two weekends. What are you thinking?

About the venting, when you look through it can you see where the former meets teh cone? Is there holes on either? May be just spider venting...
                                                                                          ~Brandon 8O
                                                                                          DriverVault
                                                                                          Soma Sonus

Comment

• augerpro
                                                                                            Super Senior Member
                                                                                            • Aug 2006
                                                                                            • 1867

#90
                                                                                            Couldn't help myself, I bought the PE horn, some foam, and a pair of B&C DE12's. The PE horn is pretty good as far as rectangular horns go. Walls transition smoothly to the baffle at least horizontally. Throat seems ok and the CD exit matches fine. A bit of putty and it could be real smooth. I don't know what the entry angle is but it's not zero, it just flares out from there. This thing is a lot bigger than I thought it would be!

Name:	1-Picture007.webp
Views:	77
Size:	33.4 KB
ID:	938564

Name:	2-Picture006.webp
Size:	35.8 KB
ID:	938565

Name:	3-Picture001-1.webp
Views:	73
Size:	17.8 KB
ID:	938566

Looks like I'll be doing a cheap pro speaker after all. Now for the woofers...
                                                                                            Last edited by theSven; 04 June 2023, 13:00 Sunday. Reason: Update image location
                                                                                            ~Brandon 8O
                                                                                            DriverVault
                                                                                            Soma Sonus

Comment

Working...
                                                                                            Searching...Please wait.
                                                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                                            Search Result for "|||"