X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • looneybomber
    • May 2007

Taking the padding out of the tweeter

I currently have 6 Infinity Beta-20's (I got a great deal on them through ebay. I paid between 260-275 shipped for all of them)

I find the sound of them to be quite warm due to close wall placement and have the treble increased by a few db's. I came across this XO schematic of them and see there's a 2.5ohm resistor inline.

If the tweeter is spec'd at 3.5ohm Re, is it safe to assume that eliminating that resistor would increase the output of the tweeter by ~2db?
  • Evil Twin
    Super Senior Member
    • Nov 2004

Well, it would, but as the attenuation is a resistor at the front of the network, not an lpad, changing the resistor value will also shift the crossover frequency somewhat- it's a configuration where everything interacts to a degree, but it's cheaper to build once it's optimized for the specific level.

The more serious issue is that it will drive the speaker to more of a "boom/tinkle" mode in tuning, as the midrange level would then be depressed in relation the bass that is lifted due to proximity effect, and the treble if lifted by removing the resistor.

Later this weekend I will find a bit of time to simulate this assuming treating the tweeter as if it were 4 ohms resistive nominal.
    DFAL
    Dark Force Acoustic Labs

A wholly owned subsidiary of Palpatine Heavy Industries

Comment

• looneybomber
      • May 2007

I don't know a lot about XO's, but I thought since it was infront of the network, as opposed to in series with the tweeter post network, it wouldn't effect frequency or Q.

If you can simulate it, that would be awesome. I will, one of these days, get me some XO software, but I'd really only have time to play with it on summer break.

Comment

Working...
      Searching...Please wait.
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
      There are no results that meet this criteria.
      Search Result for "|||"