X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jdc0589
    • Dec 2008

Brainstorming: Near field listening setup

First off, I do almost all listening from my computer desk.

Current Setup:
    For the past 6-8 months I have been using an ancient JVC R-X40 amp (which isnt too bad surprisingly enough) and a pair of Dayton RS100S drivers in full range alignment in 3-chamber bass reflex enclosures (bass is astounding for these tiny drivers, the wall vibrates if I crank them up). The enclosures are 6in(wide), about 9in deep, and 18in tall.

I would like to move these in to my man cave for light duty movie use (the sweet spot is perfect for them in there) and build something nicer for normal listening.

Needs and Requirements:
    - Enclosures can not be 'too' huge. I could go up to around 8in wide, 20in tall, and 12in deep or so. (more depth is better then height)

- I WILL NOT consider a seperate mono subwoofer under ANY circumstances.

-Needs to be very detailed and accurate.

-Not going to specify much on lower octave requirements. Obviously I would love to keep the f/r curve as flat as possible as low as possible. But, sloppy/blurred bass is not acceptable.

-Cost: I hate to put a price cap on here, but to keep things from getting too crazy, lets go with $500 total for driver and crossover costs.

Before we get in to creating something from scratch, can anyone think of a DIY project someone has already done that would satisfy my needs?
  • 1Michael
    • Sep 2006

Have you checked out the Mission Accomplished threads?
    Michael
    Chesapeake Va.

Comment

• ---k---
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Nov 2005

JonW is creating a highend speaker to sit on his desk.

Probably over your budget, and I'm not sure he is finished with it. But, I thought I would throw it out there since this in one of the few projects I know of that is specifically designed to sit on someone's desk and be listened to in near field.

You're size limitations is bigger than most are willing to accept in this application, so you may be able to achieve reasonable bass. But, I wouldn't expect tons of bass. And, sloppy/blurred, boomy bass could be very likely due to placement on a desk - especially in a bigger monitor not specifically designed to for that placement.
      - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
      CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
      CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

• ---k---
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Nov 2005

Originally posted by buggers
        Have you checked out the Mission Accomplished threads?
        I have. Which one are you recommending?
        - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
        CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
        CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

• 1Michael
          • Sep 2006

I thought the bose buster was listed there. Apparently not.
          Michael
          Chesapeake Va.

Comment

• jdc0589
            • Dec 2008

Buggers: I dont think the bass extension on the bose busters is going to cut it.

Ryan: Thanks for the link to JonW's project. But you are correct, it is out of my price range.

I have spent a good bit of time looking around, still no solution. Not many DIYers go for this type of project.
            However optimistic/unrealistic it is, I feel like the key to this project is finding a quality low distortion 5-6in driver that can cover the low end at low/moderate output levels in a vented alignment. Ideally it would extend high enough, with good performance, to cross straight to a super tweeter, but that may push the boundary of what is possible. The only reason I feel like this might be attainable (and I could easily be wrong), is because I don't need this system to get very loud.

Thus far, the best thing I can come up with for the driver may be the Tang Band W5-1611SA, but seeing as the only way to get it is to order from the German distributor, it may not be an option.
            Here is the driver info: click here

Anyone know about that driver?

Comment

• ttan98
              • Mar 2007

Use full range like Mark Alpair 5 full range and equalizer the bottom end to get your bass, see this thread:
              Hi Guys, There's some very interesting and innovative work that features the Alpair 5 by Yasushi Matsumoto San in Japan. Briefly, I understand Yasushi was a development engineer for Honda's Formula One race car team. He's a techno-wizard and very switched on to many developments in audio...

It seems to work and cheap too.

Comment

• jdc0589
                • Dec 2008

Originally posted by ttan98
                Use full range like Mark Alpair 5 full range and equalizer the bottom end to get your bass, see this thread:
                Hi Guys, There's some very interesting and innovative work that features the Alpair 5 by Yasushi Matsumoto San in Japan. Briefly, I understand Yasushi was a development engineer for Honda's Formula One race car team. He's a techno-wizard and very switched on to many developments in audio...

It seems to work and cheap too.
                The equalization you are referring to is called convolution. And yes, it is the 'end all' in terms of getting response as close to perfect as possible.

Son of a bitch...finally what looks to be an easy to use program for calculating FIR filters and ITS IN FREAKING JAPANESE! :cry:

Comment

• liasom
                  • Jun 2007

Zaph designed near-field (well, at least reduced BSC) crossovers for his Seas L18 / Seas 27TBFCG and SR71 projects. See this thread, Nearfield design considerations.... Never built either one. I went with the ZBM4 due to cost in a 5.1 setup for my office. BTW I have his crossover design for the L18 if you need it.
                  Mike
                  "Twelve." --Dr. Nikolai Zubritsky

Comment

• 1Michael
                    • Sep 2006

That L18 with reduced BSC looks like something I might build for my computer...
                    Michael
                    Chesapeake Va.

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"