Rear Surround speaker idea, what do you guys think?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mike82
    • Mar 2009

Rear Surround speaker idea, what do you guys think?

I have been thinking about a way to make some cheap rear surround speakers for my setup and was thinking this. Taking the Tang Band W4-1337SD and Dayton ND20FB-4 and crossing high. Zaph says the tweeter has good distortion performance above 3.5kHz You guys think with the right enclosure these would sound good together. I know there would not be much bass but how much lows really go to the surrounds?
  • deewan
    • Feb 2009

The amount of bass in the rear channels in most surround mixes differ. And I've seen that full range speakers for the rear channels could make the bass worse because low frequencies react to and have cancellations at certain frequencies. So when they are coming from multiple sources (speakers) and bouncing off walls....

IMO, I don't think you will have a bass issue with that setup. Now, if you are looking to have the best Hi-Fi multi-channel setup in the state, maybe something different. but for the above average joe, it should be fine.
    The Old Woods Theater
    My Various Speaker Builds
    Statement II Remix build

"Aren't you a little short for a Stormtrooper?"

Comment

• fbov
      • Jun 2008

A design like this in a small, sealed box will give you flat response to almost 100Hz, rolling off gently below that. If you cross to a Sub around 80Hz, it'll be fairly seamless.

Depending on your definition of "cheap" and what you may already have on hand, the Madisound RB kit is hard to beat. My pair were $100, MDF and paint included. these are very well regarded and mine sound very nice!

Frank

Comment

• brianpowers27
        • Feb 2009

The Hivi m4n series makes a great high qts woofer for a sealed box setup. They sound nice and clean in the midrange.
        --My Speaker building pages http://sites.google.com/site/brianpowers27speakers/
        --Get yourself on this forum member map! This can help everyone find fellow DIYers in the area.
        --The Speaker DIY resource Database

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"