recommended speaker/sub design programs?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • lbstyling
    • Oct 2008

recommended speaker/sub design programs?

hello,
    im looking to design some basic speakers and subs soon and i need a good- free or very cheap program to play with to do this- can anyone reccommend one? leap is just too expensive!!
  • b_force
    • Jun 2008

winisd works very well
    (download the 0.5 pro alpha version, not the new version)

Comment

• brianpowers27
      • Feb 2009

Jeff Bagby's PCD works well but it assumes that you already know how to design speakers.
      --My Speaker building pages http://sites.google.com/site/brianpowers27speakers/
      --Get yourself on this forum member map! This can help everyone find fellow DIYers in the area.
      --The Speaker DIY resource Database

Comment

• savage25xtreme
        • Dec 2008

in the FAQ/Reference section :T
        Gavin

BAMTM Build

Comment

• Smokinghot
          • Dec 2008

Great walkthrough with links to all suggested SW

Comment

• ThomasW
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2000

All the software I'm aware of assumes the user already knows how to design speakers.

Roman's website is a good starting point. So is buying Speakerbuilding 201 by Ray Alden (not the usually recommended Loudspeaker Design Cookbook)

Start off by building a sub. They're 10 times easier than anything with a crossover and higher frequency drivers.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Dave Bullet
              • Jul 2007

I'll also add... if you are the kind of person who gets frustrated easily and gives up, then building a proven design (after your sub) would be a better approach.

If however you are a person that likes the difficult, doesn't get bored easily, will always try and find a solution to a problem and don't mind learning heaps with frustration along the way (ie. someone in IT like me) - then speaker building will be a great passtime.

Comment

• JonMarsh
                Mad Max Moderator
                • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Dave Bullet
                If however you are a person that likes the difficult, doesn't get bored easily, will always try and find a solution to a problem and don't mind learning heaps with frustration along the way .

Isn't that the truth? And it never ends....
                the AudioWorx
                Natalie P
                M8ta
                Modula Neo DCC
                Modula MT XE
                Modula Xtreme
                Isiris
                Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                Minerva Monitor
                Calliope
                Ardent D

In Development...
                Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
                Obi-Wan
                Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
                Modula PWB
                Calliope CC Supreme
                Natalie P Ultra
                Natalie P Supreme
                Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
                Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• lbstyling
                  • Oct 2008

theres a few to choose from there - so i think a little background is needed- i have build many car installations inc many subs a and speaker installs,
                  i have also built a troels gravesen designed tjl3w speaker. i own a well read copy of the ldc aswell, ive been playing with speakers ect for 3 years now but havent realy designed my own - im a see things through at any cost kind of guy.-(thats not always a good thing.) :T

i would like to start with a program that does all i would ever need rather than learn something basic and be limited by it later on.

what do you think?
                  i was kind of hoping you all used the same one!

idealy i could feed it my own measurements and download acurate responce graphs to work on as well- if thats not asking too much!!

Comment

• ThomasW
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Aug 2000

Download Speaker Workshop, Arta and Jeff Bagby's tools. They're all free so you can play with them to see which you like.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• b_force
                      • Jun 2008

If you can read German (I can :P) try Boxsim.

Very great program that also calculates diffraction and so on.
                      Also very precise compared with the real world.

Comment

• lbstyling
                        • Oct 2008

ive spent some time with some of the recomended software and ive gone with winisd pro alpha and speaker workshop, they seem to both be quite user friendly, tho speaker workshop seems more advanced. looks like ill need to do lots of diy stuff to calibrate a mic to my computer sound card-ive not looked into this too much yet- lots to learn.

i would like to make a diy cinema sub with the 18" jbl 2245 driver (used in imax theatres) as my first project- what you think? ok first project?

Comment

• lbstyling
                          • Oct 2008

ps thankyou for all the replys- i am surprised with all the diversity of software ppl use to do this!

Comment

• ThomasW
                            Moderator Emeritus
                            • Aug 2000

The 2245 is a subwoofer in the prosound world. In the home audio/HT world it would be considered a woofer. It would be a good choice if you need high output, are willing to live with a large box, are limited to lowish power amps and aren't interested in any of the infrasonic content now routinely recorded on movie soundtracks.

IMO a better choice for a home audio 18" would be the Maelstrom-X from Exodus audio

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

• lbstyling
                              • Oct 2008

nice sub.
                              im looking for a ultra fast sub with the biggest dynamics i can get- it would also be running the bottom octave for stereo use aswell.
                              qts looks a little high for my targets i would like arround half that figure.

Comment

• ThomasW
                                Moderator Emeritus
                                • Aug 2000

Originally posted by lbstyling
                                nice sub.
                                im looking for a ultra fast sub with the biggest dynamics i can get-.
                                Ultra fast drivers are called tweeters. There's no such thing as a 'fast' subwoofer, the term itself is an oxymoron.

'Big dynamics' are much more a function of what's on the recording.

Good luck with your project....

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

• lbstyling
                                  • Oct 2008

i have a paradigm studio 15 at the moment - it goes down to 16hz and have fitted many car systems with large subs -jl w7's and alike and there all slow and unrealistic imo. i fitted a system into a citroen saxo a couple of years ago and experienced 20hz @ a varified 150db- its just pressure- no real tone or sound, so im willing to sacrifice a flat reponce below 30hz for my goals.

thomas- that sub you linked to looks underhung- anyone know?
                                  ive also looked at lambda - they seem to do some nice drivers.

Comment

• ThomasW
                                    Moderator Emeritus
                                    • Aug 2000

No it's not underhung.

Comparing in-car sub performance to in-home subs is an apples vs oranges comparison.

JL makes some exceptionally good drivers.

experienced 20hz @ a varified 150db- its just pressure- no real tone or sound
                                    Hence the term infra-sonic. You'll find more and more infra-sonic content is being recorded on CD/DVD.

If all you're interested in is 30Hz sure buy the JBL. Be sure to use a hi-pass filter to protect the driver otherwise infra-sonic content will destroy it.

When your friends say the soundtrack of action adventure films played on your system sure is loud but it doesn't 'feel' realistic? You know what to say....

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

• lbstyling
                                      • Oct 2008

is it practical to cross over to a infrasub from the jbl mentioned earlyer at 30hz? if i remember right-it would have to be active xo due to a massive inductor if passive??

Comment

• ThomasW
                                        Moderator Emeritus
                                        • Aug 2000

Yes it would need to be an active crossover

Thing is one doesn't get the 'best' sound quality running drivers in very narrow passband, be they MBMs or lower passband subs. So whether or not the JBL makes sense depends on how low the mains go.

In most instances there are options that allow a high quality sub to play up to 80Hz, provided placement doesn't dictate a lower a XO point.

What you do regarding the JBL should be based on an analysis of the performance characteristics of the entire system.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

• Dave Bullet
                                          • Jul 2007

Originally posted by lbstyling
                                          i have a paradigm studio 15 at the moment - it goes down to 16hz and have fitted many car systems with large subs -jl w7's and alike and there all slow and unrealistic imo.
                                          At those frequencies, the car is still resonating long after the note has finished (even assuming a critically damped subwoofer enclosure which usually isn't the case because size is an issue in car audio - of enclosures that is).

Comment

• lbstyling
                                            • Oct 2008

Originally posted by Dave Bullet
                                            At those frequencies, the car is still resonating long after the note has finished (even assuming a critically damped subwoofer enclosure which usually isn't the case because size is an issue in car audio - of enclosures that is).
                                            your not wrong there- in my experience large car installs ruin the vehicles fixtures and fittings .within a couple of weeks they rattle quite badly regarless of bracing/ foam filling and damping.

the main speakers go down to 40hz flat- but i need a new centre as the one i have at the moment isnt up 2 much.

it will likely be replaced by a statement centre.

i cross over at 100hz at the moment.
                                            if it was impractical to cross over to a lower sub for say below 40hz i would prefer to just go with the jbl and have no infrasonic output.
                                            it works rather well for imax.

Comment

• lbstyling
                                              • Oct 2008

on the subject of 'fast' subwoofers i was under the impression it was proved long ago that the higher the inductance of a coil- the more stored energy it kept- slowing transient attack- the qts of a driver also seams related to the dryness of the sound of a driver- lower being dryer/faster.

a given woofer with a qts of say 0.6 and eff of 86 db/1w will need 32w to get to 101db and at that vol will have vastly increased qts something like 3.0

whereas a high efficiency driver with a large cone that has limited xmax-can have a much smaller coil- giving lower inductance, a very low qts is possible of say 0.16 and stays at this figure assuming in this case it is 101db eff.

i could be totally wrong but thats what ive thought to be the truth.

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                                Mad Max Moderator
                                                • Aug 2000

Generalizations are a dime a dozen, but no generalization is worth a tinker's dam, including this one! :W

Fast bass? Go look at a "subwoofer" driver like the NS12-513-4A. 10 mm Xmax, underhung gap with cooper galore, reasonable Qts, so the alignment is under your control, Le is very low (inductance only rises to 10 ohms at 1400 Hz, and the first cone breakup mode is at 2.2 kHz.

NONETHELESS, if it's designed into an LF alignment for which the system Q is under damped, it will boom.

Bass drivers with high inductance are a problem because of inductivity modulation as well as restriction in rate of rise in the VC current, which does act like a built in crossover. But there's nothing that says a long throw subwoofer has to be built like "the old days", just look at what you can get in the low cost Reference Series from Dayton, including 10's, 12's, and 15's.

You can take any true "fast" sub driver with low inductance VC and extended response, and screw up the bass alignment; the low frequency corner Qts is dependent on the T/S parameters and cabinet design.

By the way, the 15" Paradigm servo subs are demonstrably quite linear, and quite fast, with very short settling time. But if you put them in a car body, and if you give them some peaking EQ on a line level, then all bets are off what the results will sound like. Equalizers can screw up the transient response royally, unless they're of the right kind.

OK, glad I got that off my chest. Now the real moderator here can send me on a time out. :W
                                                the AudioWorx
                                                Natalie P
                                                M8ta
                                                Modula Neo DCC
                                                Modula MT XE
                                                Modula Xtreme
                                                Isiris
                                                Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                                Minerva Monitor
                                                Calliope
                                                Ardent D

In Development...
                                                Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
                                                Obi-Wan
                                                Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
                                                Modula PWB
                                                Calliope CC Supreme
                                                Natalie P Ultra
                                                Natalie P Supreme
                                                Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
                                                Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• lbstyling
                                                  • Oct 2008

i agree i shouldnt just fixate on the perameters ive associated with transient and dynamic ability-theres alot more to making it work as a whole and one mistake or poor choice could take any potential gains away-
                                                  but i cant help that when listening to a system- the dynamics and transient responce are what i value most! the best speakers ive ever owned were the jbl l100 centurys not my £1500 troels gravesen (3way hiquiphon/seas excel) tis a personal thing and maby i have poor taste, but i find the excel units boreing, slow and a sleep inducing experience generaly. ive discussed this before and i got the responce that maby i should reinforce the low end- thats not whats wrong imo.

Comment

• Dave Bullet
                                                    • Jul 2007

I personally find the speakers that put me to sleep either are lacking in treble, or are quality with very low distortion. I like clear boring speakers I can sleep to. That alone tells me low distortion.

For example, my first DIY foray sounds a bit cleaner than a pair of KEFs, but the KEFs are far more pleasant to listen to. Especially on bright / "in your face" recordings. The KEFs measure pretty flat and distortion levels are not bad either (with my limited distortion measurement ability). Not bad for a commercial speaker (ie. that is either built to a price, or built to a profit :-)

I think re-inforcing the low end of the troels 3way and starting with a subwoofer build as your entry into DIY would be the best way to go.

What sort of music or movies do you listen to?

Comment

• lbstyling
                                                      • Oct 2008

i wouldnt mind reinforcing the tjl3w's as a project either-assuming the cost wasnt too extreme- ive always thought the solution for those speakers would be to go wmtmw and maby swap the hiquiphon out for a fountek neo 3 -as this is a option that troels offers himself.
                                                      i think thats past me for the moment-but it would be fun one day!

hmm-film ...i LOVE tenatious d and the pick of destiny-its the best film for audio ive come across-just turn it up as loud as you can!!close second of the dark knight.

music- kind of everything- ive got 250gig of lossless flac ripped off my cds using eac- shallow as it is i tend to like what sounds good on the system, on the current setup thats kate melua-spine tingleing. but if i had to be honest regardless of system its got to be red hot chilli's - just gets you up and jumping on a lively fast tight system it times so energetically.

Comment

• ThomasW
                                                        Moderator Emeritus
                                                        • Aug 2000

the best speakers ive ever owned were the jbl l100 centurys
                                                        Why hassle learning to design speakers? Go to your local pro-sound shop and buy the top module for a set of PA stacks. I'd recommend the Yorkville U-15"s but those are probably pretty $pendy if even available in the UK

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

Working...
                                                        Searching...Please wait.
                                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                        Search Result for "|||"