X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • akcrusier
    • Jan 2009

M5W Construction Questions

I have been a lurker on here for a while and learned quite a bit. I have been looking to build my first pair of speakers for a while now, but I managed to keep busy building the a balanced amp (AMB B24) Its mostly done now so I am turning my attention to building speakers. Last week I purchased an M5W kit from Clearwave and anticipate starting on the cabinets within a few weeks. I have a few basic questions before I start however. The plans (http://clearwaveloudspeaker.googlepa...uet10sscabinet) show a 1 inch facet around the top. I understand the purpose of this is to control/change/smooth baffle diffractions. I know speaker response is very sensitive to front baffle changes but I was wondering if my response would stay somewhat close if i used a 1" or 1.5" round over instead. I think that would greatly simplify construction. Plus I prefer the look of a rounded front baffle.

I probably will have many more questions as I move forward with this and I will post pictures of progress. Right now I am planning to veneer the speakers in a Pommele Makore (http://www.certainlywood.com/detail.cfm?ID=2132)
  • Jed
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Apr 2005

Many may not even know what the M5W is yet. I recently did a 3 way with the XT25 double magnet, SB Acoustics 5" and RS270. It can be sealed or ported.

As for the roundover idea.... that is fine if you think it will help ease your construction.

I'm working on similar cabinets as the M5W right now for someone and I can make a list of the steps I took to build them this weekend.

Any time one deviates from 90 degree cuts the difficulty goes up substantially. However they sure look cool when done.

Will post back here later,

Regards,

Jed

Comment

Working...
    Searching...Please wait.
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
    There are no results that meet this criteria.
    Search Result for "|||"