X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • elesquiador
    • Apr 2009

Help me get started

I'd like to build a pair of Statement minis. I have no woodworking experience, however, so it makes sense to me to start a bit smaller. Can anyone recommend a good first speaker for me to build? I'd like a smaller size speaker that I will use as my mains initially. If that build goes well I'll move them to rear surrounds and tackle a statement LCR project. As surrounds, they would likely need to be wall mounted in my space, so it seems the statement monitor might not be the best choice. Are there any other designs that would match the sound of the statement series well, but allow for wall mounting and be a good starter project?

Also looking for advice on tools - I'll have to acquire several for any new project and I'd like to keep the price as low as I can. I don't have space for a table saw - Can I expect to make good enough cuts with a circular saw and a long straightedge? Would this router be adequate? I don't know much about routers yet and have been looking around mostly based on price. Any experience with harbor freight clamps(here and here )? Are they sturdy, or do you get what you pay for? Any advice about how many to buy, and what size? Any other references for tools at good prices?

Thanks!
  • ---k---
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Nov 2005

It is a good idea to start out small. Many people start with subs. There isn't much to building them, including no crossover. If you want to start with a small speaker, maybe consider Jed's LineUp F4. This is just a single driver speaker, with the same midrange as the Statements. It has a very simple crossover-like filter that will give you good practice. Moving up a bit, consider the LineUp R4. This speaker adds a ribbon tweeter to the F4. Not sure if Jed has a wall mounting option for the R4, but I'm sure he'll speak up or help you out.

Many people have built boxes with just a circular saw. With a little practice, you can make very accurate cuts that will be just as good as a table saw. It gets a little tough with small pieces.

Another approach to take for your first project would be to build something like the Modula MT, which is designed to fit inside a off the shelf PE box. All you have to do is cut the driver hole.

There have been lots of threads on tools. Look in the reference threads section and do a search. The Milwaukee router is probably fine. I use a Hitachi multi base one and like it. Lots of us Harbor Freight clamps. They aren't the best, and take a little more patients, but they are cheap so I own and use a bunch of them.
    - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
    CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
    CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

Working...
    Searching...Please wait.
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
    There are no results that meet this criteria.
    Search Result for "|||"