X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LING GOWA
    • Dec 2007

6'' to 7'' woofer recomendation?

What is your opinion? I'm looking for a woofer with these features for a 2-way.

Price under $100.00 USD
    8 Ohm
    Good bass to about 40 Hz
    Cross at about 2K or above
    86dB or above
    Good power handling
    Website
  • JonMarsh
    Mad Max Moderator
    • Aug 2000

Seemingly lots of options out there, but the 2K or above could be a restriction, if you want to avoid linear distortion from cone breakup modes.

I'm testing some TB W6-1721 this week, will post results later. It has an underhung motor, low distortion, especially in the midrange, and what looks like a smooth extended top end. 8mm Xmax, which is above average for a 7" driver.
    the AudioWorx
    Natalie P
    M8ta
    Modula Neo DCC
    Modula MT XE
    Modula Xtreme
    Isiris
    Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
    Minerva Monitor
    Calliope
    Ardent D

In Development...
    Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
    Obi-Wan
    Saint-Saƫns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
    Modula PWB
    Calliope CC Supreme
    Natalie P Ultra
    Natalie P Supreme
    Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
    Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• TacoD
      Super Senior Member
      • Feb 2004

Seas prestige paper cone.

Comment

• Evil Twin
        Super Senior Member
        • Nov 2004

Your recommendation is unusually vague for one given to such firm opinions. Perhaps you mean the Seas Prestige ER18RNX 7" Reed paper cone?

Undoubtedly an excellent recommendation for a ported enclosure, and from a firm with a good track record for consistency and availability.
        DFAL
        Dark Force Acoustic Labs

A wholly owned subsidiary of Palpatine Heavy Industries

Comment

• TacoD
          Super Senior Member
          • Feb 2004

I only used the ER15RLY, that one is fine sounding.

In the 6" class I have only experience with the CA18RNX. The reed cones outperform these standard paper cones in clarity.

I would also look at SB acoustics. For a paper woofer it is doing very well (according to the test of HobbyHifi -> German magazine). Maybe that the low loss surround results in a not so flat mid band but I think it gives you some extra resolution back.

Comment

• Jim Holtz
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Mar 2005

I'm curious, how do the Seas ER series, or the Nextel coned Excels compare to Scan Revelators in midrange sound quality?

Jim

Comment

• davey_m
              • Nov 2008

The Usher 8948A. Usher's top of the line 7" as used in the $2800 Usher Be-718 is somewhat outside your budget, but it is a terrific driver. Scanspeak performance level at a much lower price. Very good bass, I think the Scan Revelator is slightly better in the bass, but the Usher has more natural sounding mids - less coloured than the Scan.

Comment

• LING GOWA
                • Dec 2007

Originally posted by davey_m
                The Usher 8948A. Usher's top of the line 7" as used in the $2800 Usher Be-718 is somewhat outside your budget, but it is a terrific driver. Scanspeak performance level at a much lower price. Very good bass, I think the Scan Revelator is slightly better in the bass, but the Usher has more natural sounding mids - less coloured than the Scan.

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=296-603
                Over budget & out of stock.
                Website

Comment

• dlneubec
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Jan 2006

I really like the Usher 8945P, though it is just above your price range at $110. I used it in an mtm design recently. crossing to the neo3pdr at around 2.4khz 2nd order on the woofer. I was very impressed with it! :T

Dan N.

Comment

• LING GOWA
                    • Dec 2007

Originally posted by JonMarsh
                    Seemingly lots of options out there, but the 2K or above could be a restriction, if you want to avoid linear distortion from cone breakup modes.

I'm testing some TB W6-1721 this week, will post results later. It has an underhung motor, low distortion, especially in the midrange, and what looks like a smooth extended top end. 8mm Xmax, which is above average for a 7" driver.
                    I have looked at TB drivers many times but I just can't seem to get past their power handling which is so very low and don't trust their specs at all. This driver however looks very interesting to be sure. It was tested by John Krutke
                    http://www.zaphaudio.com/6.5test/compare.html and it seems to be quite nice, except for the low sensitivity of about 84dB, basic power handling of 50 watts and RE of 3.5 Ohm. I'll be looking forward to your results.
                    Website

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"