X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Bing

I'd use 8 with the RD75, 6 with the RD50.

Checkout the sale page at
    Free support for loudspeaker projects, sourcing OEM speaker building supplies, and passive crossover design. We sell raw speaker drivers (tweeters, woofers, subwoofer, midrange drivers, full range drivers), speaker kits, amplifiers, capacitors, resistors, and inductors.

They have a sale on audax paper, fiberglass and carbon fiber midwoofers. some as low as $36!

Pat

Would you please find out the model #. That may be a great buy if it's one of the later models like 3.5. The current model is 3.6, they cost $4-4500. If it's a MG3A then it's too expensive.

I know where there's a pair of 3.5's for $1895, but they're on the east coast.

theAudioWorx
    Klone-Audio

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Pat
      Super Senior Member
      • Aug 2000

Thomas,
      I will give them a call when I get home from work today.

Pat's Page
      Pat's Page

Comment

• ThomasW
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

Pat

Thanks.

Bing and everyone else!

If people are interested in making the R&B planar system with a line array of cones. There's a GREAT deal in the Stryke pre-order page. They have a 6.5" woven fiber-glass midwoofer for $11.95ea!

Use 8/side with the RD75, use 6/side with the RD50. State of the art drivers/performance isn't necessary in this application. The drivers will only be operating from about 250Hz down to the XO point for a sub. So they will be essentially out of any "critical" listening areas. It doesn't get any cheaper than this :B

theAudioWorx
        Klone-Audio

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Pat
          Super Senior Member
          • Aug 2000

Thomas,

I just got off the phone with the store that has the Magnapans...

They are MG3a's...they just returned from the factory after having new diaphragms, new tweeters and new "bags" (his term), he was talking about the grill cloth. They only have about 2-3hrs of playing time on them.
          He told me he priced them the same as a new pair of 1.6's - $1675

Let me know if you need anymore info.

Pat's Page
          Pat's Page

Comment

• Bing Fung
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Aug 2000

That is cheap Thomas, So it would build to look like the version at the start of the thread, minus the ribbons, or do we add those on top as well.

I'm starting to feel like that statement "Too many irons...."

Bing
            Bing

Comment

• ThomasW
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2000

Pat

Thanks for the info. Thats a little pricey for a 10yr old speaker, that's been "reconed"

Bing

Yes they could be built in one of several configs, including the Swans. I'm considering something more similar to the design of the Martin-Logan "Statement". You might checkout them out http://www.martinlogan.com The "Statement" is the speaker pictured on the homepage.

Regarding the leaf tweeters, let's cross that bridge when we come to it. I have a couple of ideas, One expensive, one not as expensive. Also I have 32 Foster leafs that were in a "demo" system for a few months. Those might be available at a reasonable price.

theAudioWorx
              Klone-Audio

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

• Bing Fung
                Ultra Senior Member
                • Aug 2000

Awesome, are your mentioned sub plans to fit in as the ML Statement Sub Bass Tower?

Going to be nice, very nice indeed!

Bing
                Bing

Comment

• Pat
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Aug 2000

I tried to get more info on the 6 1/2" driver at Stryke and I got a page not found error.
                  Does anyone know any specs for it and if it is limited to the 2 week pre order window that started on Nov. 5th?

Thomas, what do you think a reasonable price would be for 10yr old reconditioned MG3a's?

Pat's Page
                  Pat's Page

Comment

• ThomasW
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Aug 2000

The only "limited" time offer on the Stryke page is the TC-Sounds woofers.

The 6.5 spec page hasn't been put up yet. But they must be similar to most of the fibreglass woofers. That means pretty good sound. It has a big magnet, and an adequate VC at least from the picture. Remember that line arrays don't really need really great drivers, because there are so many being used that the work load is shared. Also they would only be working up to 250-350Hz so they really don't need to be start of the art. If I had known about the Stryke 6.5's several months ago I wouldn't have purchased the Eton's

Email John at Stryke. He's a real nice guy, probably currently a little stressed. But he might have the T/S parameters for the little woofers

Pat

I'd say $1400 or less. Really depends on how old they are. Unlike cone/dome speakers Maggies don't last for multiple decades. Yes they've been "reconed" but the XO caps, the glue that holds the magnets, etc, etc all dryout.

And like I said there a pair of 3.5's back east for $1895. That's only one generation old and $200 more, excluding shipping.

BTW it's not cheap to have Maggies rebuilt. Just for a hoot I called them and ask about the 1.4's that I ended up sending to Andrew. The quote was $200-$800 "depending". Well they only cost $300.

Also there's a another pair of 1.4's in the paper here. It says "recently" undated by Magnepan $275!!!

Bing

I certainly have no need for anything like the Statement sub. It's a VERY complicated design. And would cost $$$$$ to try and copy. Remember the "Statement E2" costs $60,000 :B

Any well designed sub/subs will work just fine.

theAudioWorx
                    Klone-Audio

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

• Bing Fung
                      Ultra Senior Member
                      • Aug 2000

I know you don't need it Thomas, I just thought you may as well do it just to keep you busy, and when your done, "Crate it up and I'll have Purolator pick it up" :B

Bing
                      Bing

Comment

• ThomasW
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Aug 2000

Ok Bing NO PROBLEM!

How about this, instead of Purolator, I'll sent it UPS Red = next day air, C.O.D., and declare a $25,000 value :B

theAudioWorx
                        Klone-Audio

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

Working...
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"