• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • chrismercurio
    • May 2007

Duelund Web Based Filter Calculation Software

Found this:

Here:

Vi beklager, men vi kunne ikke finde siden du leder efter. Venligst kontrollér at du har tastet korrekt URL-adresse.

Chris
  • JonMarsh
    Mad Max Moderator
    • Aug 2000

Hi Chris,

Yes, a new poster dropped in on the BG Ribbons thread and posted a link to that, too.

mkc's post

Thanks for posting an "official" announcement instead of hijacking a thread like the rest of us do!
    the AudioWorx
    Natalie P
    M8ta
    Modula Neo DCC
    Modula MT XE
    Modula Xtreme
    Isiris
    Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
    Minerva Monitor
    Calliope
    Ardent D

In Development...
    Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
    Obi-Wan
    Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
    Modula PWB
    Calliope CC Supreme
    Natalie P Ultra
    Natalie P Supreme
    Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
    Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• mkc
      • Aug 2007

Hi guys,

We have also made a similar 4-ways calculator, but it hasn't been uploaded yet.

I have been toying with the idea of trying out a 3-way. I have made a measurement of the Monacor SPH-130, recommended by Duelund. The frequency response has been posted in the danish forum. I wil try to upload it here tommorow. It's an unmodified unit, but Duelund did a few modifications to the unit, which I will try.

I'm glad you are back Jon.

Best regards,
      Mogens

Comment

• chrismercurio
        • May 2007

Jon,

In all fairness I did look for a "Duelund" thread before starting the new thread and couldn't find a good place to "jack". I didn't want to encroach on the 3-way design thread.

Chris

Comment

• JonMarsh
          Mad Max Moderator
          • Aug 2000

NO complaints at all from my side, Chris, what you did was the "right way".

Mogens, thank you very much for bringing this to our attention, and any other Duelund related information.

BTW, I was just reading Tony Gee's caps review, and comments on the Duelund VSF and Cast capacitors- having used and become familiar with some of the other European caps he discusses at length, it creates an interesting reference point for his comments, as his views on the various Clarity and Jantzen caps pretty closely mirrors my experience. And sets the stage for his recommendations for the Duelund caps. OTOH, my budget hasn't really quite caught up to this kind of level, but it gives me ideas of where to look and listen next.
          the AudioWorx
          Natalie P
          M8ta
          Modula Neo DCC
          Modula MT XE
          Modula Xtreme
          Isiris
          Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
          Minerva Monitor
          Calliope
          Ardent D

In Development...
          Obi-Wan
          Modula PWB
          Calliope CC Supreme
          Natalie P Ultra
          Natalie P Supreme
          Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Face
            • Mar 2007

IMO, the VSF's are worth the $$$.
            SEOS 12/AE TD10M Front Stage in Progress

Comment

• mkc
              • Aug 2007

Hi All,

Here is the my measurement of the Monacor SPH-130, which is a resonably cheap unit and cost ~$60. I know some of you don't consider this cheap, but here in Europe even Vifa, Peerlees, Scan-speak and Seas, costs more than you guys are charged.

It is measured with my Kim Girardin microphone, Edirol EX-1 and SoundEasy. I also have a M-Audio 192 as Jon, but I don't think it will make much difference here. I'm in the process of making a Linkwitz modified microphone to be able to make distortion measurements. I'm trying to resist the temptation to buy the ACO 7012, as Jon has :cry:

Anyway, the measurement conditions are:
              - 1 meter on axis.
              - Sealed cab of ~15 Liter.
              - Baffle size 26 cm x 37.5 cm
              - Unit mounted@ x = 13 cm, y = 17cm.
              - All edges 45 degrees
              - Measurement without any smoothing.

There is a dip at ~12 KHz, as can be seen from the picture. It might be addresses by one of the modifications Duelund advice. I might get a chance to measure a modified version, modified by Duelund himself or else I will modify one of my own units.

You might want du look at the pictures in this forum. There even is pictures of Duelund himself. The text is in danish, but I will be happy to answer questions, to the best of my ability.

Also, I will talk to Henrik, the owner of the website where we have the Duelund "calculator" and see if we can get the 4-way version up. I'm the guy with the complex numbers, so please blame me, not Henrik if I have made a mistake.

Best regards,
              Mogens
              Attached Files

Comment

• TacoD
                Super Senior Member
                • Feb 2004

Originally posted by JonMarsh
                NO complaints at all from my side, Chris, what you did was the "right way".

Mogens, thank you very much for bringing this to our attention, and any other Duelund related information.

BTW, I was just reading Tony Gee's caps review, and comments on the Duelund VSF and Cast capacitors- having used and become familiar with some of the other European caps he discusses at length, it creates an interesting reference point for his comments, as his views on the various Clarity and Jantzen caps pretty closely mirrors my experience. And sets the stage for his recommendations for the Duelund caps. OTOH, my budget hasn't really quite caught up to this kind of level, but it gives me ideas of where to look and listen next.

I used a 8.2 uF Duelund VSF copper foil capacitor, and yes they sound differently than Mundorf Silver/Gold (top offering of Mundorf) but imho they are not as neutral sounding.

These Duelund caps are to my ears sounding like the Mundorf Silver Oil cap/ Jensen P.I.O/ <fill in your oil based cap> with the resolution of a top notch film cap (e.g. gold).

I think you can better invest in a nice set of cabs/ drivers :-).

I checked the Duelund x-over website, very nice!

Comment

• Face
                  • Mar 2007

A friend and I recently swapped out a few different caps on my tweeters. We found the copper VSF's to sound the most natural and to also have the biggest soundstage. One of the other caps were Mundorf S/O, and in both of our opinions, they do not sound similar to VSF's.

The next besting sounding cap after the VSF's were Clarity MR's. They don't don't have the natural timbre of the VSF's and are a little more forward, but are more dynamic and are quieter. I love the MR's in my Tannoy's though.
                  SEOS 12/AE TD10M Front Stage in Progress

Comment

• mikec
                    • Mar 2005

Is this a thread about the Duelund crossover topology or caps that the Duelund brand sells under their own name? :scratchhead:

Seems like a separate thread is in order.

Comment

• JonMarsh
                      Mad Max Moderator
                      • Aug 2000

Well, perhaps my mention of the Duellund and the follow up of caps is out of order, but I think discussion of the Deullund crosover and drivers suitable for it is quite within the reasonable purvey.

I'll consult with Thomas; we may rename the thread to "All Things Duellund", if that doesn't bother anyone. Being a recent user of the some of the higher end Clarity and Jantzen caps, the discussion re Duelunds and the newer Clarity MR is interesting to me, too, for an upcoming project.
                      the AudioWorx
                      Natalie P
                      M8ta
                      Modula Neo DCC
                      Modula MT XE
                      Modula Xtreme
                      Isiris
                      Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                      Minerva Monitor
                      Calliope
                      Ardent D

In Development...
                      Obi-Wan
                      Modula PWB
                      Calliope CC Supreme
                      Natalie P Ultra
                      Natalie P Supreme
                      Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• JonMarsh
                        Mad Max Moderator
                        • Aug 2000

Originally posted by mkc
                        Hi All,

Here is the my measurement of the Monacor SPH-130, which is a resonably cheap unit and cost ~$60. I know some of you don't consider this cheap, but here in Europe even Vifa, Peerlees, Scan-speak and Seas, costs more than you guys are charged.

It is measured with my Kim Girardin microphone, Edirol EX-1 and SoundEasy. I also have a M-Audio 192 as Jon, but I don't think it will make much difference here. I'm in the process of making a Linkwitz modified microphone to be able to make distortion measurements. I'm trying to resist the temptation to buy the ACO 7012, as Jon has :cry:

Anyway, the measurement conditions are:
                        - 1 meter on axis.
                        - Sealed cab of ~15 Liter.
                        - Baffle size 26 cm x 37.5 cm
                        - Unit mounted@ x = 13 cm, y = 17cm.
                        - All edges 45 degrees
                        - Measurement without any smoothing.

There is a dip at ~12 KHz, as can be seen from the picture. It might be addresses by one of the modifications Duelund advice. I might get a chance to measure a modified version, modified by Duelund himself or else I will modify one of my own units.

You might want du look at the pictures in this forum. There even is pictures of Duelund himself. The text is in danish, but I will be happy to answer questions, to the best of my ability.

Also, I will talk to Henrik, the owner of the website where we have the Duelund "calculator" and see if we can get the 4-way version up. I'm the guy with the complex numbers, so please blame me, not Henrik if I have made a mistake.

Best regards,
                        Mogens
                        Thanks for the link and the measurement. What was your gating time for this measurement?
                        the AudioWorx
                        Natalie P
                        M8ta
                        Modula Neo DCC
                        Modula MT XE
                        Modula Xtreme
                        Isiris
                        Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                        Minerva Monitor
                        Calliope
                        Ardent D

In Development...
                        Obi-Wan
                        Modula PWB
                        Calliope CC Supreme
                        Natalie P Ultra
                        Natalie P Supreme
                        Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• mkc
                          • Aug 2007

Hi Jon,

I seem to remember that it was little less than 4 mSec. The gray area indicates the window size.

If you are interested, I could make a combined near- and far-field measurement or perhaps just a near-field? Let me know.

One of Duelunds modifications is to remove the dustcap and replace it with a new one, which is cut out from a ping-pong ball (right word?). Some of the voice-coil former is sticking up through the diaphragm. This is cut down and the new dustcap is glued inside the former to stiffen this. Duelund found that the former has a tendency to "wobble" or not stay round and this modification should minimize this.

I don't know if this is going to minimize the dip at 12-13 KHz. The voice-coil diameter is 25 mm, which is 1 wavelength@13.7 KHz. I really hope I can get a chance to borrow and measure a modified unit, next week.

Best regards,
                          Mogens

Comment

• JonMarsh
                            Mad Max Moderator
                            • Aug 2000

Originally posted by mkc
                            Hi Jon,

I seem to remember that it was little less than 4 mSec. The gray area indicates the window size.

If you are interested, I could make a combined near- and far-field measurement or perhaps just a near-field? Let me know.

One of Duelunds modifications is to remove the dustcap and replace it with a new one, which is cut out from a ping-pong ball (right word?). Some of the voice-coil former is sticking up through the diaphragm. This is cut down and the new dustcap is glued inside the former to stiffen this. Duelund found that the former has a tendency to "wobble" or not stay round and this modification should minimize this.

I don't know if this is going to minimize the dip at 12-13 KHz. The voice-coil diameter is 25 mm, which is 1 wavelength@13.7 KHz. I really hope I can get a chance to borrow and measure a modified unit, next week.

Best regards,
                            Mogens
                            I'm sure borrowing and measuring a modified unit would be much easier.

A suggestion to consider re your measurement, something interesting would be somewhat near field measurement with a longer gating window; then the LF response and high frequency response could be in good perspective without too much work.

I've gotten the last of the parts in today that have been on order, so I hope to do some testing this weekend. This afternoon (I'm on holiday for a change) I'm inventorying materials and supplies for a possible new speaker project. So far, so good.
                            the AudioWorx
                            Natalie P
                            M8ta
                            Modula Neo DCC
                            Modula MT XE
                            Modula Xtreme
                            Isiris
                            Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                            Minerva Monitor
                            Calliope
                            Ardent D

In Development...
                            Obi-Wan
                            Modula PWB
                            Calliope CC Supreme
                            Natalie P Ultra
                            Natalie P Supreme
                            Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Hank
                              Super Senior Member
                              • Jul 2002

Jon, you must have the bewildered feeling of a newly-released prisoner after a couple years on the chain gang. Measure away!

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                Mad Max Moderator
                                • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Hank
                                Jon, you must have the bewildered feeling of a newly-released prisoner after a couple years on the chain gang. Measure away!

Yeah, not sure I'm recognizing my surroundings or what these tools are for! Woke up at three AM this morning, thinking about details of a complex baffle design for the MTMWW that I've started thinking about. (The Indra clone has morphed into more of a Point Consulting Tyhpoeus clone). And the new SS tweets came in yesterday, too.

Now, I've got to dig a few older well known drivers, too, for correlation, because I'd really like to try using Fuzzmeaure 3 for these tests (which I used a lot on the NeoD CC project), since it would be much quicker to get setup than unpacking and setting up my Praxis rig.
                                the AudioWorx
                                Natalie P
                                M8ta
                                Modula Neo DCC
                                Modula MT XE
                                Modula Xtreme
                                Isiris
                                Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                Minerva Monitor
                                Calliope
                                Ardent D

In Development...
                                Obi-Wan
                                Modula PWB
                                Calliope CC Supreme
                                Natalie P Ultra
                                Natalie P Supreme
                                Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• 1Michael
                                  • Sep 2006

It's good to see you back around Jon
                                  Michael
                                  Chesapeake Va.

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                    Mad Max Moderator
                                    • Aug 2000

Thanks! Let's see if I can actually get something useful done! I have some more time off scheduled over the next two months, so I'm tentatively hopeful! I certainly haven't run out of ideas, yet... :W :B
                                    the AudioWorx
                                    Natalie P
                                    M8ta
                                    Modula Neo DCC
                                    Modula MT XE
                                    Modula Xtreme
                                    Isiris
                                    Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                    Minerva Monitor
                                    Calliope
                                    Ardent D

In Development...
                                    Obi-Wan
                                    Modula PWB
                                    Calliope CC Supreme
                                    Natalie P Ultra
                                    Natalie P Supreme
                                    Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

Working...
                                    Searching...Please wait.
                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                    Search Result for "|||"