X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Carrotman
    • Mar 2008

Tweeter for Seas L12/W12 minis?

Hello,

I have pairs of both Seas L12's and W12's (magnesium) waiting to be used. I'd like to build some small (app. 5 ltr.) monitors but I am little stumped by the tweeter options. On one side I have looked at various 3/4" models (Hiquphon OW1, Seas 22TAF, Vifa XT19 etc.) but on the other hand tests of both Seas drivers suggest (to me at least) that I should be looking at tweeters that can be crossed over around 2-2.5kHz which I am not sure these can.

Any thoughts or experiences would be most appreciated ;x(

//C.
  • jkrutke
    • Dec 2005

I crossed a L12 over 4th order to a 27TBFCG at about 2K and it sounded ok. I never published that crossover because there are better woofers for half the price.

I also recall trying to cross it over 2nd order at 2.6K to a 25TFFC but that kind of annoyed me on certain songs with the right content.
    Zaph|Audio

Comment

• Landroval
      • Dec 2005

A Finnish retailer (http://www.hifitalo.fi/) has kit's with both the L12 (AW3-Alu) and W12 (AW3-Excel) mated to the Seas DXT tweeter so that might be an option.

Comment

• Dave Bullet
        • Jul 2007

Have you looked at Zaph's site? Sounds like to me a small baffle / speaker is called for to meet your small monitor goals. You might need to look at a neo / small faceplate tweeter. Not so that you can raise the xo point (as Zaph noted - around 2KHz or lower would be better for the L12 given the 8KHz breakup node and increasing HD around a 2KHz crossover point)... but so you can keep the baffle small.

Zaph might have recommended some of the the neo tweeters he tested for XO performance at 2KHz (Can't remember). Also - take a note of any acoustic slope he or others recommend with any XO point so that tweeter excursion isn't an issue. For nearfield use, it is unlikely you will be driving these speakers hard anyway.

Comment

• Carrotman
          • Mar 2008

Zaph: Thanks. I know these drivers are not the best value for money, but since I already have them (and got them at good prices) it's not really an issue. I remember reading about that "experiment" of yours with the L12 a while ago and the H1212 is also on my list. Any thoughts on how the DXT would be in this combination?

Landroval: Thanks for that link, that is very interesting. I will definitely look into the DXT as the speakers will be used nearfield so the improved dispersion would be good. One thing that surprises me though is that they use the same filter for the L12 and the W12-versions (I can't read the text so there might be a good explanation for this but it seems like to much of a "short-cut" to me).

Dave: Yes, I have been looking extensively at John's site but I have no problem with using a "full-size" tweeter so I have skipped the small-flanged ones for the time being.

I am also interested in any experience with the OW-1 as I have seen a few designs with the OW-1 and the W12 in a three-way design.

Thanks again,

//C.

Comment

• Face
            • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Carrotman
            (I can't read the text so there might be a good explanation for this but it seems like to much of a "short-cut" to me).
            SEOS 12/AE TD10M Front Stage in Progress

Comment

• alias2
              • Oct 2008

I'm not sure what selection criteria is being applied here, for metal cone
              drivers it is not complicated, crossover as low as possible to avoid response
              induced harmonic distortion, ruling out 3/4" domes and small neo tweeters.

/alias2.

Comment

• Landroval
                • Dec 2005

Originally posted by Carrotman
                Landroval: Thanks for that link, that is very interesting. I will definitely look into the DXT as the speakers will be used nearfield so the improved dispersion would be good. One thing that surprises me though is that they use the same filter for the L12 and the W12-versions (I can't read the text so there might be a good explanation for this but it seems like to much of a "short-cut" to me).
                Yes, that surprised me too. I've built a couple of their kits and my general feeling is that their crossover designs are not the best. So if you pick the DXT, design the xo's from zero, especially if you have the adequate gear to do that.

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"