X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Rolex
    • Mar 2005

Troels Ellam 25

Does anyone have any experience with this design?

It looks like it would be a really fun speaker and should work well with smallish rooms. I'd love some opinions. Although I have built a number of speakers, the crossover design and graphs don't mean much to me.

Thanks!
    Last edited by ThomasW; 29 March 2009, 00:44 Sunday.
  • TacoD
    Super Senior Member
    • Feb 2004

Design looks solid to me. You'll surprised what 2x 15W can deliver, but I keep repeating myself you have to like the Scanspeak timbre. It is imho also not as dynamic sounding as the hard cones.

The match with the Vifa is great (made 2-way systems with 15W/XT and 18W/XT)

Comment

• chris-torb
      • Apr 2009

Originally posted by Rolex
      Does anyone have any experience with this design?

It looks like it would be a really fun speaker and should work well with smallish rooms. I'd love some opinions. Although I have built a number of speakers, the crossover design and graphs don't mean much to me.

Thanks!
      Hey Rolex.

Do try it...!!
      It's a great speaker, and not too hard too build.
      The midrange is superb, and the bass is massive and fast. The XT tweeter does the job spectacular and matches the SS15W really well.

Dont be fooled by the relative small cabinet.. It delivers!!

Happy building..

Torben.

Comment

• tktran
        • Jan 2005

I have used the hard-cones, in the form of L18RNX/P (John Krutke All Metal Seas 2-way) and Excel W18-E001 (Jim Mitchell's MTM). The Excels are great but I will think the ScanSpeak carbon fibre impregnated paper woofers sounds more musical, with more material.

I'll try the Revelators one day, as soon as the Aussie dollar recovers... :-)

Comment

• TacoD
          Super Senior Member
          • Feb 2004

I find the "old" ScanSpeak carbon & kevlar (8546) cones more dynamic than the Revelator versions. Though the resolution is better for the revelators.

Comment

• chris-torb
            • Apr 2009

Originally posted by TacoD
            I find the "old" ScanSpeak carbon & kevlar (8546) cones more dynamic than the Revelator versions. Though the resolution is better for the revelators.
            I haven't much experience with the old Scanspeak.
            I find the sound from the Revelator series, very balanced - espcially the coatet versions.. And when you do the messuring without filter, the frequency allmost "straight line" hits 10KHz.. Not many 5Ā½" can do this. Adding the extended bas capability.... I think this speaker unit, is near perfect. :-)

I hope that some of you, consider building the Ellam25.
            I am a little proud off the final design. Espcially the "front piece" works wery well, with the rest of the cabinet- I think..

Torben

Comment

• Rolex
              • Mar 2005

do you have any pics of your build?

Originally posted by chris-torb
              I haven't much experience with the old Scanspeak.
              I find the sound from the Revelator series, very balanced - espcially the coatet versions.. And when you do the messuring without filter, the frequency allmost "straight line" hits 10KHz.. Not many 5Ā½" can do this. Adding the extended bas capability.... I think this speaker unit, is near perfect. :-)

I am a little proud off the final design. Espcially the "front piece" works wery well, with the rest of the cabinet- I think..

Torben

Comment

• chris-torb
                • Apr 2009

do you have any pics of your build?
                Hey Rolex..

You can see pictures here ..

And here...

HIFI4ALL.DKs hifi fora/forum - Diskussionsforum om hi-fi, hifi, high end, musik, audio, udstyr, film, dvd, surround og meget mere - DKs største

The building process is a little more detailed.. The text is in Danish, but the pictures is universial

If you need some translation, just let me know..

Torben

Comment

• Rolex
                  • Mar 2005

Hi Torben. I didn't realize that the photos on Troels site were of your speakers. Very impressive.. Did you work in conjunction with troels for this design? I'd love a little more input on this design, the danish site doesn't tell me much, but the pictures are cool!!

Can you comment a little on the bottom end with this design? It doesn't strike me as a design that would have boomy bass, but tighter and more refined?

Thanks!

Comment

• Dennis H
                    Ultra Senior Member
                    • Aug 2002

Google translate seems to work okay for the Danish forum if you scroll to the bottom and click the next page link. If you try to jump to page X with the drop down list, it doesn't translate.

HIFI4ALL.DKs hifi fora/forum - Diskussionsforum om hi-fi, hifi, high end, musik, audio, udstyr, film, dvd, surround og meget mere - DKs største

Comment

• chris-torb
                      • Apr 2009

Hi Torben. I didn't realize that the photos on Troels site were of your speakers. Very impressive.. Did you work in conjunction with troels for this design? I'd love a little more input on this design, the danish site doesn't tell me much, but the pictures are cool!!

Can you comment a little on the bottom end with this design? It doesn't strike me as a design that would have boomy bass, but tighter and more refined?

Thanks!
                      Hi Rolex

The cabinet, design, and the filter/crossover assembly is mine, and Mr. Gravesen made the crossover and simulations.
                      He is incredible talentet og very perfectionistic. It's amazing to watch him work.
                      The bass from this speaker is very dry and fast, and not at all "boomy" and yet still "massive" ....Of course the lowest deep bass is lacking, as the speaker is tuned at 40 Hz..But I am still VERY amazed/impressed, how much bass can come from 2 x 5Ā½" Scanspeak units.
                      The most amazing, I think, is the midrange.. Exceptional open and clear. By far the best I've ever heard.
                      Sorry my English Is not the best... It's been 20 years since I've attended school

Torben

Comment

• Rolex
                        • Mar 2005

Hi Rolex

The cabinet, design, and the filter/crossover assembly is mine, and Mr. Gravesen made the crossover and simulations.
                        He is incredible talentet og very perfectionistic. It's amazing to watch him work.
                        The bass from this speaker is very dry and fast, and not at all "boomy" and yet still "massive" ....Of course the lowest deep bass is lacking, as the speaker is tuned at 40 Hz..But I am still VERY amazed/impressed, how much bass can come from 2 x 5Ā½" Scanspeak units.
                        The most amazing, I think, is the midrange.. Exceptional open and clear. By far the best I've ever heard.
                        Sorry my English Is not the best... It's been 20 years since I've attended school

Torben
                        Thanks for the reply. I had a feeling the bass from this design was going to be very good. I'm happy to hear that the midrange is exceptional (the most important characteristic for me). I'm very seriously considering this speaker as my next build.

Comment

• eyekode
                          • Jun 2008

Hey Rolex..

You can see pictures here ..

And here...

The building process is a little more detailed.. The text is in Danish, but the pictures is universial

If you need some translation, just let me know..

Torben
                          Torben, I like that gentle arc you put on the bottom of the front baffle. How did you do that? Did you use a really large circle jig and then go back over it with a 45degree chamfer bit?
                          Thanks!
                          Salem

Comment

• chris-torb
                            • Apr 2009

Originally posted by eyekode
                            Torben, I like that gentle arc you put on the bottom of the front baffle. How did you do that? Did you use a really large circle jig and then go back over it with a 45degree chamfer bit?
                            Thanks!
                            Salem
                            Hi Salem..

Yes, you are right. :-)
                            A large circle jig with center in the middle off tweeter placing(same center placing i've uset routing for the tweeter).

You may have to make some test cuts, until it is perfect, but it was not problematic at all.

Torben
                            Last edited by chris-torb; 01 June 2009, 06:07 Monday.

Comment

• chris-torb
                              • Apr 2009

Ellam25

I know that "diy's" don't spend a lot of time in the woodshop in the summertime... I know i don't.. 8)

Anyway... I'm very curious to know, if anyone is planning on building this speaker??

Have a nice summer...

Chris-torb

Comment

• Ton
                                • Dec 2010

Goodevening, I am new on this forum. I am planning to bild the Ellam 25 as well. But looking at the pictures from chris-torb I am a little confused.

In the specification of the crossover from Troelsgravesen there are 4 resistors for one speaker. In the pictures I see only two. Is that correct??
                                I hope one do not mind asking, but this is my first bild and I do want to do it right the first time.

Thank you very much for any reply

Comment

• welly192
                                  • Mar 2011

Ellam 2.5's

We built several of Troels designs and the Ellam 25's were our favorites!
                                  We liked them so much we built another set in granite. Here are the two finished- One in granite and the other wood. Still need to make the granite feet/bases.

More info here: http://www.sdboats.com/images/speakers.htm
                                  Attached Files
                                  Last edited by welly192; 12 March 2011, 22:59 Saturday. Reason: add link to detailed site

Comment

• chris-torb
                                    • Apr 2009

Originally posted by Ton
                                    Goodevening, I am new on this forum. I am planning to bild the Ellam 25 as well. But looking at the pictures from chris-torb I am a little confused.

In the specification of the crossover from Troelsgravesen there are 4 resistors for one speaker. In the pictures I see only two. Is that correct??
                                    I hope one do not mind asking, but this is my first bild and I do want to do it right the first time.

Thank you very much for any reply
                                    Hi Ton.
                                    The resistors you mention, is "hidden" below the 10 uF capasitors.

I had to assemble the crossover this way, because the "box" for the crossover, is limitet in size. Did not expect the Jantzen superior capasitors to be that big :-)

I am very pleased, that some of you consider building "my" speaker.
                                    In my oppinion, this speaker is a real "value for money". Not to hard to build, and the performance is great.

chris-torb

Comment

• PMad
                                      • Mar 2011

Hi Chris-Thorb,

Excuse my english, is not enought good.

IĀ“am interested in Ellam-25, and i like a lot your design.

But I have several questions that to do to you:

- What power of amplifier is necessary to move widely this loudspeaker?

- Is it necessary to give the inclination of 5 degrees to the box?
                                      For it me would be complicated enough to realize.

- How the baffle is fixed to the box?
                                      I have understood that was fixed with screws from the interior of the box, but is it stuck to the box?

It is quite at the moment.
                                      Thank you in advance Ā”Ā”

Javier
                                      (from spain)

Comment

• Sjepr
                                        • Apr 2011

Hi all,

I am new here. I already knew this thread and it is nice to see that more people are interested in this speaker. At this moment I am building the Ellam25. It is quite exciting to build something I've never heard, but with these drivers and some possible adjustments, it almost can't go wrong.

I use 22 mm MDF, since 19mm is rather unusual in the Netherlands. Therfore I had to sacrifice 20 mm of crossover depth (aaahh, big caps...), 2 mm of bitumen (2mm instead of 4) and with the thicknes I use, I took the liberty of leaving out one brace. All that to come close to the 22,7 litres.

I bought the wood (one sheet 122x240) from a professional wood supplier and had it sawn by a carpenter, because I lack the equipment to saw the 5Āŗ angle.

The baffle will be made of black coloured MDF (that does come in 19mm )

Some pictures:

photo1

photo2

photo3

photo4

edit: The 2mm bitumen is called Bitumex FG2. I Also used a piece of 4mm (in the lower part). It's Self-adhesive
                                        Last edited by Sjepr; 21 April 2011, 01:59 Thursday.

Comment

• blue934
                                          • Mar 2008

Sjepr, what brand is the peel and stick bitumen you are using? i've never come across anything like that.

david

Comment

• TacoD
                                            Super Senior Member
                                            • Feb 2004

Originally posted by blue934
                                            Sjepr, what brand is the peel and stick bitumen you are using? i've never come across anything like that.

david
                                            Intertechnik sells it in Europe (most DIY shops in the Netherlands sell that brand) There are others, sometimes this stuff (2 mm version) is sold by car shops to dampen your car doors.

In the Intertechnik webshop I now can only find the panels which has 12 mm wool on top of it (http://www.intertechnik.de/Lautsprec...768,de,16,5905)

Comment

• chris-torb
                                              • Apr 2009

Originally posted by PMad
                                              Hi Chris-Thorb,

Excuse my english, is not enought good.

IĀ“am interested in Ellam-25, and i like a lot your design.

But I have several questions that to do to you:

- What power of amplifier is necessary to move widely this loudspeaker?

- Is it necessary to give the inclination of 5 degrees to the box?
                                              For it me would be complicated enough to realize.

- How the baffle is fixed to the box?
                                              I have understood that was fixed with screws from the interior of the box, but is it stuck to the box?

It is quite at the moment.
                                              Thank you in advance Ā”Ā”

Javier
                                              (from spain)
                                              Hey Javier.
                                              Some answers for you

The amp size is always a tricky question - because, how much is 1 watt?
                                              The minimum impedance is just below 4 Ohm - not a problem for a 80W solid state amp... But give it the best you can afford.
                                              (For some time a had them running on a Yamaha RX-V1900 surround reciever in a surround setup - It's ok, but will not do these speakes justice)

The 5 degre inclination is indeed WERY important - The crossover is optimised for this angle.

The baffle is fixed to the box by 8 screws from the interior into the baffel(a little tricky, but ok if you dont have very big hands)
                                              The 15 screws that fix the speaker units, goes through the baffle and into the box. So a total off 23 screws attach the baffel to the box.

Hope that this could help you

Chris-torb

Comment

• PMad
                                                • Mar 2011

Hey Javier.
                                                Some answers for you

The amp size is always a tricky question - because, how much is 1 watt?
                                                The minimum impedance is just below 4 Ohm - not a problem for a 80W solid state amp... But give it the best you can afford.
                                                (For some time a had them running on a Yamaha RX-V1900 surround reciever in a surround setup - It's ok, but will not do these speakes justice)

The 5 degre inclination is indeed WERY important - The crossover is optimised for this angle.

The baffle is fixed to the box by 8 screws from the interior into the baffel(a little tricky, but ok if you dont have very big hands)
                                                The 15 screws that fix the speaker units, goes through the baffle and into the box. So a total off 23 screws attach the baffel to the box.

Hope that this could help you

Chris-torb
                                                Thanks, Chris

- My amplifier is a "vintage" Sondex S230, 35 W -8 ohms and 50 W-6 ohms. Perhaps has little power......., I donĀ“t use to play very loud.

- Would it be the same if I tilt the box by the spikes?

- Then, is not necessary to seal the baffle?, similarly to the tape that is placed on the speakers, or something similar?

Comment

• Sjepr
                                                  • Apr 2011

Hi,

Today I hooked up my Ellams 25 for the first time! I am very pleased with the sound. The bass is very fast and precise and voices are brilliant. I might want to dampen the cabinet a bit more, but I first wait for the woofers to break-in completely. Now I need to finish the cabinets and make grilles, to protect these expensive woofers against little fingers...

@ Torben: compliments on the design. It was a pleasure to build and your photos helped a lot.

Final assembly

Finished

Big caps!

Comment

• chris-torb
                                                    • Apr 2009

Thanks, Chris

- My amplifier is a "vintage" Sondex S230, 35 W -8 ohms and 50 W-6 ohms. Perhaps has little power......., I donĀ“t use to play very loud.

- Would it be the same if I tilt the box by the spikes?

- Then, is not necessary to seal the baffle?, similarly to the tape that is placed on the speakers, or something similar?
                                                    Hey PMad.

It's difficult to say, if the amp has enough power... You will have to give it a try.

Higher spikes in the front vill do the job..You just have to hit the 5 degre inclination. The box will be easy'er to build...I just don't like the look of a tilt'et box. But otherwise, only minor changes in the performance.

I haven't sealed between the baffel and the box. But some thin selfahedsive filt, would do fine.

Chris-torb
                                                    Last edited by chris-torb; 01 May 2011, 10:40 Sunday.

Comment

• chris-torb
                                                      • Apr 2009

Originally posted by Sjepr
                                                      Hi,

Today I hooked up my Ellams 25 for the first time! I am very pleased with the sound. The bass is very fast and precise and voices are brilliant. I might want to dampen the cabinet a bit more, but I first wait for the woofers to break-in completely. Now I need to finish the cabinets and make grilles, to protect these expensive woofers against little fingers...

@ Torben: compliments on the design. It was a pleasure to build and your photos helped a lot.

Final assembly

Finished

Big caps!
                                                      Hey sjepr.

:-)
                                                      I look foreward to se the finished result. Good work :T

The 15W's has a "break-in" period, and after the bass will be a little more powerfull.

If you find the midrange a little to "upfront" and want a "warmer" sound, you could try adding a 0.3mH coil to the "L3011" series coil in the lower bas filter. (Or simply replace the L3011 with a 1,5mH coil)
                                                      This will dampen the 700 - 1100Hz range some 1-1Ā½dB... Not a bad choice if your listening room, is a little harsh in this area..

chris-torb
                                                      Last edited by chris-torb; 04 May 2011, 04:11 Wednesday.

Comment

• PMad
                                                        • Mar 2011

Hey PMad.

It's difficult to say, if the amp has enough power... You will have to give it a try.

Higher spikes in the front vill do the job..You just have to hit the 5 degre inclination. The box will be easy'er to build...I just don't like the look of a tilt'et box. But otherwise, only minor changes in the performance.

I haven't sealed between the baffel and the box. But some thin selfahedsive filt, would do fine.

Chris-torb
                                                        ThankĀ“s Chris

Comment

• Juuso
                                                          • Nov 2011

Originally posted by Sjepr
                                                          Today I hooked up my Ellams 25 for the first time! I am very pleased with the sound. The bass is very fast and precise and voices are brilliant.
                                                          How deep does it actually go? Port tuned to 40Hz should mean that it can reach down to 40Hz at least, but...

- My amplifier is a "vintage" Sondex S230, 35 W -8 ohms and 50 W-6 ohms.
                                                          What was the outcome: is 35W enough? I have just 25W. Actually, I've been looking for higher efficiency designs, but I don't want too bulky ones. These can be made to look really nice, like Torben has shown to all of us. 8)

Well, I am considering. A lot. Seriously.
                                                          Anyhow, I would rather not have the ports on back: I'd rather have a port on front, below the woofers of course. Port length should not be a problem, since there's 45deg bend available on suitable diameter.
                                                          I'm worried about if this would ruin the speaker function somehow? Why is there two ports like they are in the first place?
                                                          Or should I leave the top one on the back, and move only the lower one to front?
                                                          Anybody done this kind of port move? Comments? Links?

Comment

• Generic George
                                                            • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Juuso
                                                            What was the outcome: is 35W enough? I have just 25W. Actually, I've been looking for higher efficiency designs, but I don't want too bulky ones. These can be made to look really nice, like Torben has shown to all of us. 8)
                                                            These are not going to be a highly efficient design in all probability. They'll be fine for music, but wouldn't be ideal for home theater use. However, you can probably still get some decent SPL.

What you need to understand is that you have to double the power every time you increase the volume by 3db. So this means a very powerful amp (500 watts) will only give you 12db over what your 35 watt amp can deliver.

The efficiency of the speaker is typically given as Xdb @ 1 watt. Troels doesn't give an efficiency for the speakers, from the charts I think it's around 88db. A 35 watt amplifier is a bit over 5 doublings (2-4-8-16-32watts) which means that at 1 meter with 32 watts of power, you will get an SPL of 88 + 15 (3db x 5) or 103db. You do loose 6 db every time the distance doubles though. So at a distance of 2 meters you are down to 97db. At 4 meters 91db. That's more than loud enough for most purposes.

Originally posted by Juuso
                                                            Well, I am considering. A lot. Seriously.
                                                            Anyhow, I would rather not have the ports on back: I'd rather have a port on front, below the woofers of course. Port length should not be a problem, since there's 45deg bend available on suitable diameter.
                                                            I'm worried about if this would ruin the speaker function somehow? Why is there two ports like they are in the first place?
                                                            Or should I leave the top one on the back, and move only the lower one to front?
                                                            Anybody done this kind of port move? Comments? Links?
                                                            I am building a pair of Troel's SEAS W15CY001 + Fountek NeoCD3, which are designed with a port on the back. Since I was going to be mounting them on a mantlepiece, right against the wall, a back port wouldn't work. So I emailed him and he responded (quite quickly actually) saying that it would be fine to move it to the front.

But that it was very important to keep the rest of the front identical and the interior volumes the same. So you shouldn't have a problem as long as you don't change those aspects. Though I'm not sure how you'd move the top one to the front. Looking over the pictures of the cabinet. I don't believe that that the position of the top port is important. If I am understanding the description correctly, the reason for the two ports is because a single port long enough to get you the 40hz response would be too long to fit in the cabinet, so he's got two to make a sufficiently "long" port. As a result, I don't see any reason why you couldn't simply move both of them to positions lower on the front.

You might want to just send him an email, to check though.
                                                            Last edited by Generic George; 14 November 2011, 10:21 Monday.

Comment

• johngalt47
                                                              • Apr 2007

Isn't this essentially the same speaker as Zaph's ZD5 (which I have) with one extra woofer?

The crossover isn't nearly as complicated as the ZD5's crossover though.

If it is anywhere near like the ZD5 I expect it to be very nice sounding.

Comment

Working...
                                                              Searching...Please wait.
                                                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                              There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                              Search Result for "|||"