X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • savage25xtreme
    • Dec 2008

stereo receiver for BAMTM

I was all set and ready to order the stuff to build the BAMTM when I decided to research what nominal ohm load they are because I wanted to power my first speaker build with my old pioneer 514 which is rated at 8ohm. You can see my problem now, is there a cheap stereo receiver that will power the BAMTMs ? I'm talking 100 bucks or so. my other option is to build some 8 ohm speakers like the tritrix, but as I am going to build statements for in the HT room I would like to try another designers budget design. by budget I mean under $200 for drivers and crossover components, I also want then to be "bookshelf" MTM speakers because they are probably going to be mounted from the rafters angled down in my shop that is 14x18. I got to jam out when working on my Statements.

Thanks in advance, :T
    Gavin
    Gavin

BAMTM Build
  • kirknelson
    • Sep 2006

If your receiver has pre outs you could just add an amp to it.

This one seems a very good value. http://emotiva.com/upa2.shtm

Comment

• savage25xtreme
      • Dec 2008

that is 3 times what I wanted to spend for my shop system...

I wonder if my little VSX-514 can handle it in stereo mode as long as I am not driving the other 3 speakers.
      Gavin

BAMTM Build

Comment

• ---k---
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Nov 2005

probably can. My 1014tx can power my Khans. I don't know if the amp actually differs in the different pio models, other than the max power rating.

try it. if it shuts down, it can't and you need to spend more $$. They may sound a little thin in the regions where the impedance drops really low (the bass).
        - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
        CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
        CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

• savage25xtreme
          • Dec 2008

I guess it is worth a shot... hate to build them with a budget in mind just to have to drop 300 dollars on an amp. are there no other MTMs sub 200 dollars designs that can hang with the TriTrix and BAMTM that are 8 ohm? maybe I should just build the tritrix then.
          Gavin

BAMTM Build

Comment

• gonar
            • Feb 2006

get an old used yamaha rx-v 35x for about $50 from a pawn shop.

Comment

• alias2
              • Oct 2008

" Specifications for the Pioneer VSX D 514.
              Power Output, 5x100W (1kHz, THD 1% and 6Ω)."

Should be OK with the BAMTM, /alias2.

Comment

• savage25xtreme
                • Dec 2008

not sure where you found that info alias...

this is basically what I have found
                Get full-length product reviews, the latest news, tech coverage, daily deals, and category deep dives from CNET experts worldwide.

I also could not find anything on an RX-V35x maybe you could provide and link and I will be looking on ebay.
                Gavin

BAMTM Build

Comment

• evilskillit
                  • Oct 2008

If your current receiver wont run them check craigslist and ebay there are plenty of amps and receivers out there in the $50-$100 range. I'm sure you could find something that will work fine with a 4 ohm load.

I've seen older Pioneer Eliet units going for under $100 on occasion.

Comment

• savage25xtreme
                    • Dec 2008

good idea ES.. I got on craigslist and might be picking up a DRA-395 which is 4 ohm stable for around 80 dollars
                    Gavin

BAMTM Build

Comment

• evilskillit
                      • Oct 2008

No problem. As a guy with not a lot of money to throw around those are usually my go to places for stereo equipment unelss I need something really specific.

Comment

• gonar
                        • Feb 2006

Originally posted by savage25xtreme
                        I also could not find anything on an RX-V35x maybe you could provide and link and I will be looking on ebay.
                        by RX-V35x I meant one of the 353/354/356/357/358/359 series receivers.

yamaha increments the model number every year, think they are up to 362 or 3 by now.

any, a cheap used yamaha HT receiver should get the job done. should be able to find one on craigslist or at a pawn shop.

for instance:

Comment

Working...
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"