X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rickp15
    • Aug 2008

Best crossover design software??

I am in the process of building 7 speakers for my HT. They will all be 3 way OB/Dipole. The fronts are in a line array configuration and will be using a active crossover until I get them tweeked to my liking. Then I would like to build a crossover based on the Behringer DCX2496 settings. My question is, is there software I can simply put the active settings from the DCX2496 into the software and print out a passive wiring diagram and parts list?? Or am I dreaming??
  • ch83575
    • Sep 2006

Many OB designs (the orions come to mind) use an active circuit that actually boosts the bass frequencies to accomplish a flat frequency response. This technique will be possible with the Behringer, but simply impossible to translate into passive components... regardless of software.

Of course there are people who use passive crossovers for their OB designs (see JonMarsh's Arvo Part thread) but if I were you I would do it exactly the opposite way you described. I would use a modeling software (I use soundeasy, but lots of guys around here use LspCAD) to design a passive crossover then either program the Behringer to emulate the passive crossover or use the emulator built into the modeling software to evaluate the design through your soundcard (I know soundeasy offers this, but I think LspCAD does as well).

Passive crossovers for OB are pretty hard to design from the sounds of it... heck they are hard enough to design for a standard monopole 2-way!

Best wishes on your project,
    -Chad

Comment

• ---k---
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Nov 2005

For an OB design, have you looked at Jon K. ABC Dipole?

You'll still need Soundeasy, Speaker workshop, or PCD, but that ABC Dipole will probably help significantly.
      - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
      CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
      CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

• ThomasW
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

Originally posted by ch83575
        but simply impossible to translate into passive components... regardless of software.
        All-pass, hi-pass/low-pass, and shelving filters allow passive filters to create contour networks. The insertion losses created by this approach can be problematic.

The OP must have a very large room to accommodate the placement of 7 channels of dipole loudspeakers.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• rickp15
          • Aug 2008

Thanks for all the info. I looked at Speakeasy and abc dipole, I think I will get them both, The Speakeasy is very expensive!

I am really not stuck on any one thing, I just want a set up that sounds good and am going to adjust based on all the comments. I will run the mains Dipole with the active crossover and box speakers for the rest. Will the Dipole and box speakers intergrate well or should I build all box type speakers?

Is the Speakeasy the best for designing box speakers also?

Thanks, Rick

Comment

• ThomasW
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2000

There's no such thing as the "best" software. Both SoundEasy and LspCAD will work with DCX files. SE has a better overall measurement features, but is pretty user hostile (plan on buying JohnK's add-on help tutorial). LspCAD is more intuitive but it's measurement features are limited to those in JustMLS program.

Either SE or LspCAD will design a 'box', so will numerous freeware programs. The trick is to correctly design the crossover. All programs require the user to have knowledge about crossover design. Since all the programs are is a software shell running fairly generic equations related to the kind of crossover the user chooses to create. (IOW, if you don't know how to design a crossover don't expect software to do it for you)

There are several freeware dipole modeling programs. 'The Edge' is one a lot of people use.

The choice of dipole or box is up to you.

I don't know very many people running 7 channels of dipoles given how they must be placed in the room

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• 1Michael
              • Sep 2006

I strongly recommend that you do not attempt to design your speaker system from scratch because there is alot more to it than plugging some figures into a software program, and it spitting out a diagram of what you need. You might want to check out the Mission Accomplished threads... :T
              Michael
              Chesapeake Va.

Comment

• rickp15
                • Aug 2008

For now I am going to use the DCX2496 (I puchased 4 just in case) on one pair at a time until I gain more understanding on the effects of a crossover system. Also I will just use Open Baffle speakers for the mains only since my room is so small.

Thanks for all your help!!!!!!!!!!

Rick.

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"