X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Alex82
    • Mar 2009

Baffle lineout John Krutke Seas L18 / Seas 27TBFCG

Hi all,

Just registered here. I have a question abbout one of John Krutke his popular designs, the Seas L18 / Seas 27TBFCG.

The website Zaph Audio is very complete but I can't find one important detail for the Seas L18 / Seas 27TBFCG design. I can't find the exact baffle line-out. What I mean is the exact driver position in the baffle and relatively to each other. Sice this is important for the endresult my actual question is.

Does anyone know where on the site of Zaph Audio I can find what I am looking for? Or can anyone profide me these measures of the original John Krutke design if known? Or maybe John Krutke is reading along and can provide me the mesures. Oh... by the way, preferably in metric units , but I won't get picky, so if you have it I'll take inches with love ;-).

I have build several project before. One of them a 2-way monitor, but my wife think's there to massive, so I looked for the best money/performance deal I could find and I ended at John Krutke's design. Mainly becouse of his high standard for making the design public, and the promising feedback of other DIY'ers on this forum.

I was forst considering the HATT MK2 of Tony Gee, from my home country Holland, but since John Krutke perfected his design for the new SEAS woofer the best choice was not that hard. And besides... I like the off centered tweeter more also.
    Tony Gee has got some very high-end designs, from single driver to 3.5-way on his site, could not hurt to check it out if someone is interested, the site adres is: http://www.humblehomemadehifi.com

Once I will start building these pup's I will make a thread for discussing and posting work on progress pic's for you guys.

Thank's for reading this far.

Kind regards from Holland

Edit: Corrected Saph to Zaph ops:
    Last edited by Alex82; 22 March 2009, 12:08 Sunday.
  • jkrutke
    • Dec 2005

Originally posted by Alex82
    Does anyone know where on the site of Saph Audio I can find what I am looking for? Or can anyone profide me these measures of the original John Krutke design if known? Or maybe John Krutke is reading along and can provide me the mesures. Oh... by the way, preferably in metric units , but I won't get picky, so if you have it I'll take inches with love ;-).
    Not sure what you mean by baffle line-out, but what you're looking for might be here, hidden under a link entitled "[image] - Parts Express .5 cu ft box, w/baffle layout".

By the way, it's Zaph audio with a Z. :B
    Zaph|Audio

Comment

• Alex82
      • Mar 2009

Thank you John!

That is exactly what I was looking for! It is even in text next to it "Parts Express .5 cu ft box, w/baffle layout". Must have overlooked it... 7 times aahggg.

Thanks for the effort for poining it out for me. Now to the drawboard :-).

Now you're here John.... what is your personal opinion on the difference in sound (quality/mood/color etc) between this system, and the no-metalic alternative, your ZA SR-71? I'm very curious.

But I think I'll keep it by the Seas L18 / Seas 27TBFCG anyway, I also already have build an sub using an 22cm SEAS L driver, so that fit's the picture. I also have heard at least one very nice sounding 2-way using a Seas L driver, and alu dome tweeter. I think it matches my tase. The Sub is tuned very low, so that's a nice adition for the Seas L18 / Seas 27TBFCG, I hope it will be not to hard to mix it together, becouse the amp does not have an active crossover, only a low-pass and phase correction, but that wil be a nice experiment.

Kind regards from Holland!

PS. My Excuses for writing Zaph the wrong way, I think I had a mix-up with my five's lingery brand (that should have been wrong also, becouse that should be Sapph). I do not know that directly means your speakers are "sexy", but please thae it as an compliment ;-).

Comment

• benchtester
        • Sep 2007

Originally posted by Alex82
        Now you're here John.... what is your personal opinion on the difference in sound (quality/mood/color etc) between this system, and the no-metalic alternative, your ZA SR-71? I'm very curious.
        John gets asked this fairly often. Here is an old post of his from the Madisound board. The comparison to the SR71 is near the bottom. I included the whole thing because the other comparisons are very interesting (and he doesn't give comparisons very often).

Considering the ZRT and ZD5, these systems are not better or worse than each other, just different and you have to pick the one that suits you.

For most people, if there is no subwoofer in use, the 2-way tower version of the ZRT has some of the most satisfying bass (extension and quality) that you'll ever hear out of a 7" woofer. This is less true in the 20 liter sealed cabinet however. The bass extension will not be any better than the L18 system.

The ZD5 has a narrower vertical listening window. However, within that window the lower treble will be a tiny bit smoother due to the 2nd order acoustic slopes and their better power response.

The ZRT has lower distortion in the lower treble thanks to the 6600, but it's not magnitudes lower than the XT25. The difference would not jump out at you.

The ZD5 is only a little cheaper when you factor in crossover cost. And if you're building the crossovers yourself, the complexity of the ladder delay circuit may be an issue.

Looks can be important, and you can't ignore that ZD5's slim design. Of course you'll need to build the enclosure yourself or have someone build them for you, since a 7" wide pre-fab enclosure is not available.

Upgrading from a L18 system, either the ZRT or ZD5 are worthwhile but you will need to have some patience and live with the new design for a while to fully appreciate the lower listening fatigue. Upgrading from the L18 to a SR71 system is not worthwhile, as it's more of a lateral move. Yes, the ER18 has lower distortion, but not enough to make the upgrade worth it and in fact some people may even still prefer the L18 system for various reasons.

That sums up the issues, now decide for yourself.

John Krutke
        www.zaphaudio.com

So there it is. You are fine staying with the L18 compared to the SR71.

Comment

• Alex82
          • Mar 2009

Thanks benchtester,

I should heve known that that question rises many times, and John could make a daytask of answering it. Thanks for copying the comparison for me.

I hope to be able to start the project not too long from now, when it's starting I'll let you guy's know for sure!

Bye

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"