• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • fjhuerta
    Super Senior Member
    • Jun 2006

Tang Band W4-1658SB distortion measurements

I wonder - did I do them right?

I measured them in-baffle. The measurements are for two woofers in series, at 50 cms away, and SPLs of around 97 dBs.

The woofers are in-cabinet.

I don't know why the sweep stopped there. Supposedly, I configured it from 200~20 KHz.

Still, I assume I could use this woofer very high up, if I'm reading the graph correctly.

Attached Files
    Javier Huerta
  • fjhuerta
    Super Senior Member
    • Jun 2006

I took two more today, to see if I could increase the measurement range. I also took them on woofer axis, instead of on the design axis (the tweeter).

I see some definite trends, although my noise floor isn't as low as I'd like it to be (you can see I took these measurements in the morning, with more ambient noise everywhere). Still - can I conclude the woofers are extremely clean up, and so, I can use them as high as I want to? Or, am I missing something?
    Attached Files
    Javier Huerta

Comment

• pedroskova
      • Mar 2007

I've never used Soundeasy, but it would appear that the program only "believes" that it can record up to ~10k - 12k, depending which graph you're talking about. Maybe you could check the sound card setup? It looks like a 22k - 25kHz sampling rate. With a 44kHz sampling rate, the second harmonic would reach 10kHz.

Comment

• fjhuerta
        Super Senior Member
        • Jun 2006

I don't know why, but it all looks too clean to me to be true...
        Javier Huerta

Comment

• Jed
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Apr 2005

Something looks off with the fundamental SPL. However, maybe others that use Soundeasy could chime in. I don't use that software, personally.

Comment

• jkrutke
            • Dec 2005

I have to agree, something looks wrong with your fundamental, and the harmonics floor is abnormally high. It almost looks like there's a massive 15-20 dB droop in the top end. Can you post a response curve?

You might be clipping a preamp either in your sound card or mic pre, it might pay to mess with the levels a bit. Try a lower level semi-near field (10 cm) of an unfiltered known driver to see what you get.
            Zaph|Audio

Comment

• fjhuerta
              Super Senior Member
              • Jun 2006

Here it is. 10 milliseconds, speaker lifted around 1.7 meters off the ground, taken at 1 meter, unsmoothed and unfiltered. No floor or wall bounce (am I right in assuming the graph is correct right to 100 Hz)?

There is a drop of around 10 dB, indeed on the top end. That's the natural FR of the driver.

When I looked (closely) at T-B's published specs, the drop is there, too. It's just not noticeable because of the scale they chose.

I know the measurements can't be right. I'll try to take some more tonight... thanks for your help!

Javier Huerta

Comment

• fjhuerta
                Super Senior Member
                • Jun 2006

I assume something is wrong with my measurement setup. This is the best I can get, and measurements won't go any higher.

Attached Files
                Javier Huerta

Comment

• Notorious_AK
                  • May 2008

I get similar results as first three graphs when I forget to turn mic preamp on. there may be a problem with your preamp. is phantom power on?

Comment

• fjhuerta
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Jun 2006

Yeah, if phantom power was off, I wouldn't be able to get a reading...

I think I'll try ARTA
                    Javier Huerta

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"