X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • soundtrek
    • Nov 2008

Mini Statements

I was all set to build the Mini Statements and have become somewhat hesitant. This would be my first DIY speaker build and I am nervous about not having the ability to hear before you buy.

I have never heard any DIY speakers so I have no idea about value versus performance when it comes to DIY. I am confident in my abilities as I am also a serious hobbyist woodworker.

I prefer a speaker with a flat response and very neutral sounding but accurately reproducing the source material. The speakers need to be 3 way or 3.5 way and full range. My listening style varies greatly from classical to pop to country and throw in some Irish (especially Celtic Woman) music as well. On occasion I am known to listen at pretty high levels as well.

My setup is Pioneer DV-58 universal player, Audio Research LS3 pre and currently a Peavey CS-800 soon to be replaced with a Rotel RB-1562 or 72.

I posted a while back in the official MS thread but am looking for some additional feedback or recommendations on designs. The budget range is $700/pair for drivers and crossovers. I already have cabinet and finish materials.

Also, if there are any Mini owners within a reasonable drive (4-5 hours) of South Bend Indiana willing to allow an audition that would be great.

Sorry for the long post! Thanks Kevin!
  • maynardg
    • Jan 2007

I've heard the mini-Statements as well as some of the alternatives at that price range. IMO, this is the level of investment where if you choose any design as well regarded as the mini-Statements, you will not fail to get really good sound. The challenge is one of choosing among flavors of goodness.

I really like the mini-Statements. They have detail, accuracy, and a quality of clarity that is really great, but if you really value warm sound they may not be the last speakers you build. They can stay clean at higher levels than many physically smaller designs.

Comment

• ---k---
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Nov 2005

The Statement series are excellent speakers. If you are certain that you like a flat, neutral sounding speaker, I think you will like them. If you want warm, house party speakers, then they likely wouldn't be for you.

Jim says that there are like 200+ Statements out there. I bet you can find someone near SB. If not, you could always driver to Chicago and listen to the Khans instead. :P

Also, you might want to consider going to the upcoming Indiana DIY event. Should eb a real good event. I'm mad that I can't make it.
      Want a second or third opinion about your speaker cabinet design or other audio related problem? Post your question or comment on the Technical Discussion Board. Hundreds of technicians, engineers, and hobbyists, nationwide read and discuss electronics related questions each week. We welcome your participation
      - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
      CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
      CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

• Jim Holtz
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Mar 2005

Originally posted by ---k---
        Jim says that there are like 200+ Statements out there. I bet you can find someone near SB.
        Hi Ryan,

Well, I'm not sure there's 200+ pairs in existence yet but I'm guesstamating 150+ pairs when all models are lumped together.

Regardless, thanks for the kind remarks about the Statements. I appreciate it!

Hey Maynard! Thanks to you too my friend!

Jim

Comment

• Jim Holtz
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Mar 2005

Hi Kevin,

I think there are some Mini's scattered through out your area of the country but it'll be up to the owners to contact you. If you want to hear the originals and want to take a road trip to Des Moines, you're welcome to come to my home and listen.

Based on your needs assessment, I think the Mini's or the Statements would work very well. The Mini's should be limited to no more than about 110 DB however. If you want more than that, the Statements are the next step up and should handle 115 DB or so max.

If you haven't done so, search the Mission possible section for a number of build threads and builder feedback. There's a lot of information in the build threads.

HTH

Jim

Comment

• cobblepots
            • May 2008

I live in Cincinnati, may or may not be too much of a drive for you... I have the minis as mains, monitors as rears, and the center. You're welcome to visit and listen to them. Personally, I love them :T

Comment

• vinceb
              • Apr 2005

I like the minis a lot. They have me digging through my collection for the reference quality gems. A good recording on these is a treat, I get a lot of the comments I've read about depth of soundstage and imaging of individual instruments better listening to them. Not that my old speakers were slouches, but the midrange is great on these and it contributes in a big way. I haven't heard the other designs like the Khans but I don't think you would be disappointed, do pay attention to the info about spacing from the wall, 12" is the minimum from my experiments.

Comment

• flamethrower1
                • May 2008

I too have built the minis, monitors and the center channel.
                It was my first build, and was challenging but well worth it.
                These speakers are great for HT and music, you would not be dissapointed with them

Comment

• Sefferdog
                  • Apr 2006

Originally posted by soundtrek
                  Also, if there are any Mini owners within a reasonable drive (4-5 hours) of South Bend Indiana willing to allow an audition that would be great.

Sorry for the long post! Thanks Kevin!
                  I am that close by plane. C'mon on down to Central Florida and you can listen to the Statements and Minis - side by side! :T

Comment

• Phil82
                    • Sep 2010

(deleted -- dead thread)

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"