X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Cameraman
    • Mar 2009

Aurasound NS10-513-4A 10" Sealed pair?

I have 2 ea. Aurasound NS10-513-4A 10" drivers arriving on Friday the 13th. I realize Madisound recommends a 1.6 cubic foot ported enclosure but I would prefer building a couple sealed boxes and have a couple design ideas for sealed 1 cubic ft boxes and they will be made of ¾” MDF on the sides, 1 ½” MDF/birch laminated on top and bottom (if I decide on down firing), and ¾” birch plywood bracing.

I read a ported recommended post down the page and Google led me to a few posts and sites, most with input from Jed, and few seemed to recommend a sealed design. If I don’t need ultra low performance, have enough power and have an additional LFE sub, what can I build in a sealed design that I’ll be happy with? I tried Unibox and have had a challenge with MS Office 2007.

For now I will use a Bryston 10B Sub crossover for high/low pass to my mains. Will I still need an equalizer?

Currently I have my mains set to large and sub to none on my Bryston SP2 processor, my 18” Leviathan Sub currently uses mono low pass mode off the 10B Sub. My idea is to take the 18” sub off the mono-sum configuration of the 10B and configure the Aurasound’s in stereo mode on the 10B Sub crossover and just use the sub out of my Bryston SP2 processor for LFE to the 18”.

I’ll need to check the bass management on the SP2 since I’ve had it set to off up to now. I know it has a variable bass limiter option but I’m not sure what it does yet.

I am also picking up a used Pro amplifier next week if my seller comes through. It has plenty of power and a Built-in high pass filter for subsonic protection.

Balancing the input sensitivity of the Pro Amp and integrating the two stereo subs and the LFE sub is another topic I’ll need to study up on.
  • Johnloudb
    Super Senior Member
    • May 2007

Well, I hate to say it. But, given that your drivers are arriving on Friday the 13th this project is doomed from the start. :demon: :evil: :demon:
    John unk:

"Why can't we all just, get along?" ~ Jack Nicholson (Mars Attacks)

My Website (hyperacusis, tinnitus, my story)

Comment

• ThomasW
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

Use them as bass bins. Run them down to 60Hz or so using sealed boxes. Front fire the drivers for the best integration with the mains.

EQ? Depends on the room geometry and the location.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Cameraman
        • Mar 2009

Originally posted by ThomasW
        Use them as bass bins. Run them down to 60Hz or so using sealed boxes. Front fire the drivers for the best integration with the mains.

EQ? Depends on the room geometry and the location.

I’m not sure what you mean by bass bins but I assume that is what I have planned.

Much of the music I listen to is through analog by-pass and since that has no .1 or LFE content, I would prefer to run the mains as large with the stereo subs going into the low to mid 30’s if possible.

The designer of my DIY Vision mains suggested a 80hz crossover, 6 db/oct slope for the high pass and 18 db for the low so I thought that is where I would start with the two Aura’s I put in place of the 18” Leviathan.

Comment

• Cameraman
          • Mar 2009

Originally posted by Johnloudb
          Well, I hate to say it. But, given that your drivers are arriving on Friday the 13th this project is doomed from the start. :demon: :evil: :demon:
          I'm anti superstitious so luck is on my side, plus I'm Irish and we are close to St. Paddy's Day so I’ve got that going for me too.

Comment

• ThomasW
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2000

Don't see how it's possible to replace an 18" sub with a pair of modest excursion 10"s

My suggestion was to run the Aura between the mains and the Leviathan. The Aura are good drivers but they aren't really 'subs' unless you have a small room.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Cameraman
              • Mar 2009

Don't see how it's possible to replace an 18" sub with a pair of modest excursion 10"s

My suggestion was to run the Aura between the mains and the Leviathan. The Aura are good drivers but they aren't really 'subs' unless you have a small room.

While it is true I am replacing the 18” with the 10” pair for two channel red book and SACD, I would have the 18” available for LFE and recordings that offer 5.1 content where I haven’t had that option before since I’ve had SW set to none, mains to Large and center and surrounds set to small.

I assume my SP2 and/or the 5.1 analog outs of my Pioneer BDB-09FD and Denon DVD-3930 can give me some flexibility, or complexity, depending on how you look at it.

I should be able to support both your suggestion and my initial idea since bypass mode does just that, by-passes the cross-over I have set for other modes on the SP2.

I loved listening to SACD with the Leviathan blended with the Vision mains and hope the two Aurasound NS10-513-4A’s get me close and expect for most other types of listening, especially Blu-ray, DVD and HDTV, the experience has the potential to improve.

I wasn’t sure if the NS10-513-4A’s were the best choice but for the price I wanted to give them a try since I need subs for another room and can consider different drivers latter if I’m convinced they will sound better.

I am getting pressure to move the Leviathan out of the Family room eventually so may need to find an option with a smaller footprint. I don’t know why she doesn’t like it but I know I’ll lose eventually and I like building speakers anyway.

I've been thinking of two tens and a 12, possibly a 15 but want to put off moving out the 18" as long as I can.

Here is a snapshot I just took of the 18” sub; in the background is the surround I just finished.

Comment

• bobhowell
                • Jul 2008

Originally posted by Cameraman
                While it is true I am replacing the 18” with the 10” pair for two channel red book and SACD, I would have the 18” available for LFE and recordings that offer 5.1 content where I haven’t had that option before since I’ve had SW set to none, mains to Large and center and surrounds set to small.

I assume my SP2 and/or the 5.1 analog outs of my Pioneer BDB-09FD and Denon DVD-3930 can give me some flexibility, or complexity, depending on how you look at it.

I should be able to support both your suggestion and my initial idea since bypass mode does just that, by-passes the cross-over I have set for other modes on the SP2.

I loved listening to SACD with the Leviathan blended with the Vision mains and hope the two Aurasound NS10-513-4A’s get me close and expect for most other types of listening, especially Blu-ray, DVD and HDTV, the experience has the potential to improve.

I wasn’t sure if the NS10-513-4A’s were the best choice but for the price I wanted to give them a try since I need subs for another room and can consider different drivers latter if I’m convinced they will sound better.

I am getting pressure to move the Leviathan out of the Family room eventually so may need to find an option with a smaller footprint. I don’t know why she doesn’t like it but I know I’ll lose eventually and I like building speakers anyway.

I've been thinking of two tens and a 12, possibly a 15 but want to put off moving out the 18" as long as I can.

Here is a snapshot I just took of the 18” sub; in the background is the surround I just finished.

Thats a nice end table. Buy her some flowers to go on top. Where's the sub now.

Guys talk of WAF; I got DAF in addition.

Comment

• Cameraman
                  • Mar 2009

Originally posted by bobhowell
                  Thats a nice end table. Buy her some flowers to go on top. Where's the sub now.

Guys talk of WAF; I got DAF in addition.
                  The 18” is in the family room in a back corner. My wife is on a constant decorating kick and her hobby and mine tend to clash at times. My daughter is on my side but my wife’s vote counts as five.

Ultimately I will need to come up with an LFE sub that will fit under a standard end table or behind the couch. Possibly a creative solution in the crawl space under the family room floor or in the cabinets?

Comment

• Bear
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Dec 2008

The 18” is in the family room in a back corner. My wife is on a constant decorating kick and her hobby and mine tend to clash at times. My daughter is on my side but my wife’s vote counts as five.

Ultimately I will need to come up with an LFE sub that will fit under a standard end table or behind the couch. Possibly a creative solution in the crawl space under the family room floor or in the cabinets?
                    Infinite baffle is your friend!
                    Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson.

Comment

• ThomasW
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Aug 2000

Possibly a creative solution in the crawl space under the family room floor or in the cabinets?
                      Yes an IB is your friend...see my sig for more info.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

• Cameraman
                        • Mar 2009

Yes an IB is your friend...see my sig for more info.
                        It’s been awhile but I've researched IB a little bit before and it was your signature that got me thinking about the crawl space and cabinet idea.

The most unobtrusive design would be a combination of the two but I’m not sure how restrictive the cabinet door would be.

I did have vents cut in the top of cabinets for airflow when I thought I would install my components in them but that was never really practical and the doors aren’t all that tight.

I could always open the doors for critical listening.

Comment

• Cameraman
                          • Mar 2009

Can someone confirm the cut-out dimensions of the AuraSound NS10-513-4A 10”? I’m not sure how much to add to the measurements listed on the driver pdf and I’m limited to US measuring tools.

Outside appears to be 261.2 millimeters or 10.2834646 inches

Through looks to be 225.7 millimeters or 8.88582677 inches.

What should the countersink diameter be? 10 5/16th”?

What should the through diameter be? 8 7/8”?

Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                          Searching...Please wait.
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                          Search Result for "|||"