Usher 8137A vs. Dayton RS225 - which one would you choose?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • fjhuerta
    Super Senior Member
    • Jun 2006

Usher 8137A vs. Dayton RS225 - which one would you choose?

Here's the scenario....

I want to build a 3 way: WMTM. T = Seas 27TAFN. M = Tang Band W3-1335.

The W3's aren't very sensitive. 86 dB/W. I could probably get away with using only one of them, but I haven't measured its distortion (yet) and I'd rather be safe than sorry.

Considering the break-up peak of the W3, and the nature of it, I think I could get away with 2nd order slopes everywhere. Probably around 500 Hz - 3.5~4 KHz.

I've got no worries about the tweeter. I know it performs like a champ.

I don't know which woofer to use, though. The RS225 and the Usher 8137A come to mind. They are very close in price. They are close in size. Very similar in Xmax. The 8137A looks a bit cooler (IMHO, not that it matters). The Dayton is a bit cheaper (if you consider its current price "cheap").

The 225 has a definite advantage, though - it comes in a 4 Ohm version, with about 90 dB sensitivity. Considering baffle step, this may help me get at least 85 or so dBs after baffle step correction. The 8137A is closer to 86 dBs.

Is there any reason to get the Usher instead of the Dayton? I haven't seen HD plots anywhere from this driver, so I don't know how much better (or worse) it is compared to the tried and true Dayton.
    Javier Huerta
  • Jed
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Apr 2005

From what I understand, from the poster Feyz (do a search), the Usher has very low harmonic distortion. Dayton RS series is very good for the money, but I'd imagine the Usher has its advantages.

I say try something new. My vote is for the Usher.
    Last edited by Jed; 10 March 2009, 20:51 Tuesday.

Comment

• Johnloudb
      Super Senior Member
      • May 2007

I'm about to use 6 of Usher 8137A in a dipole line array mid-bass with a B-G RD50 mid, high frequency driver. I need to buy 2 more to finish one channel, but it looks like the Usher is out of stock at PE for moment. I haven't listened to any yet, so I can't comment on sound. Visually, they look really nice though and quality construction.
      John unk:

"Why can't we all just, get along?" ~ Jack Nicholson (Mars Attacks)

My Website (hyperacusis, tinnitus, my story)

Comment

• fjhuerta
        Super Senior Member
        • Jun 2006

Originally posted by Jed
        I say try something new. My vote is for the Usher.
        Yeah, I guess this is the main reason I want to go with the Usher. I already have 4 RS225s waiting for my next "big" project.
        Javier Huerta

Comment

• fjhuerta
          Super Senior Member
          • Jun 2006

Originally posted by Johnloudb
          I'm about to use 6 of Usher 8137A in a dipole line array mid-bass with a B-G RD50 mid, high frequency driver. I need to buy 2 more to finish one channel, but it looks like the Usher is out of stock at PE for moment. I haven't listened to any yet, so I can't comment on sound. Visually, they look really nice though and quality construction.
          That's the only reason I haven't bought them.

I'm stockpiling on drivers because our exchange rate has gone to hell.... I hope PE gets the Ushers soon!
          Javier Huerta

Comment

• davey_m
            • Nov 2008

I have not used that specific Usher, but the 8948A 7" and the 8955A 8" are both really great bass drivers. Very tight. The RS180 does not do bass as well as the 8948A. I guess it would be the same with the 8's because all the Ushers have really low distortion in the bass range.

Comment

• alias2
              • Oct 2008

For the titanium W3 I would be tempted to go for the Aura NT1 for all
              titanium top end and a single 4ohm RS225 for the bottom end, YMMV.

/alias2.

Comment

• fjhuerta
                Super Senior Member
                • Jun 2006

Originally posted by alias2
                For the titanium W3 I would be tempted to go for the Aura NT1 for all
                titanium top end and a single 4ohm RS225 for the bottom end, YMMV.

/alias2.
                I'm not sure the Aura can handle a 2nd order filter at 4 KHz.

That, and I'm trying to use the stuff I already have...

I could also use the Vifa DQ25 tweeters. I know they can handle the filter, they are mde of titanium, and they sound incredible. The flange is a bit bigger than the Seas, though.
                Javier Huerta

Comment

• b_force
                  • Jun 2008

The 8137A was measured a while ago in the German magazine hobby hifi.
                  And yes I thought also that the THD results where pretty well.

If you're interested I can scan the measurements.

Comment

• fjhuerta
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Jun 2006

I'd be grateful if you could do that....
                    Javier Huerta

Comment

• b_force
                      • Jun 2008

Here is the article about the Usher W8137.
                      My opinion is that it is a very well performing driver, but a little bit limited by the xmax.

(is almost 2MB)

Comment

• davey_m
                        • Nov 2008

That is a special black coated version of the 8137. Seems to be available from German supplier Proraum.

Comment

• b_force
                          • Jun 2008

yes that's right, but the specs are almost the same.

The looks are a bit different 8)

Comment

• davey_m
                            • Nov 2008

Yes, on second thought the cone dope will probably not affect the bass range that much. Except for slightly different T/S parameters perhaps.

Comment

• JRT
                              • Apr 2005

Originally posted by fjhuerta
                              Here's the scenario....

I want to build a 3 way: WMTM. T = Seas 27TAFN. M = Tang Band W3-1335.

The W3's aren't very sensitive. 86 dB/W. I could probably get away with using only one of them, but I haven't measured its distortion (yet) and I'd rather be safe than sorry.

Considering the break-up peak of the W3, and the nature of it, I think I could get away with 2nd order slopes everywhere. Probably around 500 Hz - 3.5~4 KHz.

I've got no worries about the tweeter. I know it performs like a champ.

I don't know which woofer to use, though. The RS225 and the Usher 8137A come to mind. They are very close in price. They are close in size. Very similar in Xmax. The 8137A looks a bit cooler (IMHO, not that it matters). The Dayton is a bit cheaper (if you consider its current price "cheap").

The 225 has a definite advantage, though - it comes in a 4 Ohm version, with about 90 dB sensitivity. Considering baffle step, this may help me get at least 85 or so dBs after baffle step correction. The 8137A is closer to 86 dBs.

Is there any reason to get the Usher instead of the Dayton? I haven't seen HD plots anywhere from this driver, so I don't know how much better (or worse) it is compared to the tried and true Dayton.
                              Choice number three might be a pair of Peerless 830884 (8" Exclusive, 8_Ohm nom) in each loudspeaker, MTMWW.

Comment

• fjhuerta
                                Super Senior Member
                                • Jun 2006

I already used the Peerless and liked them a lot... although I'd rather use the Seas P21, because of their flatter FR.
                                Javier Huerta

Comment

Working...
                                Searching...Please wait.
                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                Search Result for "|||"