X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jwitt
    • Mar 2009

ZAPH ZRT 3 way

Since Zaph is known to post on this place, I thought this might be the best way to ask him this question. If others have any information, I would love to find that out as well.

Last year we had built a Zaph ZRT 2 way and loved the speakers. We used the kit from Madisound and built a 40 liter enclosure for a ported design.

I am building another one for my brother but this time we want to do a 3 way design. While 2.5 way goes somewhat deeper than 2 way, it does not go as deep as we are looking for.

So I was wondering if anyone knew of a high-end 3 way design coming from Zaph.
  • jkrutke
    • Dec 2005

No 3-ways coming from me in the immediate future, though there will be another 2.5-way. Note that the 2.5-way ZRT does not have deeper extension than the 2-way, it just has higher output.

You can always build a 2-way and add a sub, actively crossed over. A lot of the need for a 3-way has gone away with HT receivers, their built-in subwoofer crossovers and cheap amplification.

There's a few 3-ways in the mission accomplished section that you might consider.
    Zaph|Audio

Comment

• tf1216
      • Apr 2006

John,

I thought you have simulated a 3-way design for one of your speakers but never built it. I could swear I have a post somewhere about it.

Comment

• Jed
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Apr 2005

I have a couple Scan Speak 3 ways you might be interested in.

Jed

Comment

• jwitt
          • Mar 2009

Originally posted by jkrutke
          No 3-ways coming from me in the immediate future, though there will be another 2.5-way. Note that the 2.5-way ZRT does not have deeper extension than the 2-way, it just has higher output.

You can always build a 2-way and add a sub, actively crossed over. A lot of the need for a 3-way has gone away with HT receivers, their built-in subwoofer crossovers and cheap amplification.

There's a few 3-ways in the mission accomplished section that you might consider.
          Zaph thank you so much for your reply. Are you in a position to discuss some details about new 2.5 way? Is it your new reference series 2.5 way (and therefore maybe more expensive than SS kit)? Or is it trying to accomplish what SS 2.5 way did but at lower price?

Also last time when we built 2 way using our own ported enclosure (40 liters), we got F3 of 38 Hz. Is that similar to your own experience?

Comment

• tf1216
            • Apr 2006

jwitt,

i sent you a PM a few days ago. Did you ever get it?

Comment

• jkrutke
              • Dec 2005

Originally posted by jwitt
              Zaph thank you so much for your reply. Are you in a position to discuss some details about new 2.5 way? Is it your new reference series 2.5 way (and therefore maybe more expensive than SS kit)? Or is it trying to accomplish what SS 2.5 way did but at lower price?

Also last time when we built 2 way using our own ported enclosure (40 liters), we got F3 of 38 Hz. Is that similar to your own experience?
              At any given time I've got a whole stack projects underway. And normally half of those don't ever get finished, so it's not a good idea talking about something that may never happen. The only ones that are guaranteed of being finished are commercial ventures that I'm being paid for or other projects that I've "made promises" on.

An F3 of 38Hz is actually lower than what I originally got on my 2-way. The low and lean type of tuning I use results in a somewhat highish F3 but with a gradual rolloff that helps in-room extension. To get an anechoic 38 Hz you would have had to tune the port a lot higher. It's all a matter of taste.
              Zaph|Audio

Comment

• jwitt
                • Mar 2009

Originally posted by jkrutke
                At any given time I've got a whole stack projects underway. And normally half of those don't ever get finished, so it's not a good idea talking about something that may never happen. The only ones that are guaranteed of being finished are commercial ventures that I'm being paid for or other projects that I've "made promises" on.

An F3 of 38Hz is actually lower than what I originally got on my 2-way. The low and lean type of tuning I use results in a somewhat highish F3 but with a gradual rolloff that helps in-room extension. To get an anechoic 38 Hz you would have had to tune the port a lot higher. It's all a matter of taste.
                John,

If I was building a sealed ZRT and instead of using dimensions of MD20, was using a 20 liter Parts Express curved cabinet, do you think that would significantly alter the tuning of the drivers.

Comment

• Jed
                  Ultra Senior Member
                  • Apr 2005

Changing the baffle width will create response variations from the original design. Example- going from a 9" wide baffle to an 8" wide baffle will change the diffraction signature. That's why most designers suggest someone build the design as originally intended.

Comment

• djn04
                    • Dec 2008

I posted this in another thread but I wouldn't mind any or your comments on my design. I've bulit the ZRT's and they sound amazing but aesthetically they look not so great. I want to mimic the deign of the Magico V3's, which I know some people frown upon but I'm curious what people think about the diffraction issues etc. that are created by my design changes.

The baffle is the same 9" as in Zaph's design but the external dimensions of the cabinet are 10" wide. The internal volume is the same just the side walls are 1/2" thicker than in Zaph's design. A guess a picture is worth a 1000 words so....

Click image for larger version

Name:	3324063777_3aa3065618_o.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	67.3 KB
ID:	953063

The cost of materials is substantial so I want to make sure as best I can that I'm not throwing money away
                    Thanks
                    Last edited by theSven; 29 April 2024, 21:34 Monday. Reason: Update image location

Comment

• ThomasW
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Aug 2000

The 'baffle' is defined as the total width of the front of the speaker. You have a 10" baffle.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Xander
                        • Dec 2007

The curved baffle would also cause diffraction around the drivers due to the not-so-flush mounting. There is a lip on the top and bottom of each driver cutout that I'm guessing extends beyond the edge of the driver.

Comment

• djn04
                          • Dec 2008

xander-
                          It's true there will be a lip on the top and bottom of about 3/16" . I'm gonna move forward with this though and see how it goes. The baffle will be removable so I can always make changes to it if need be. I should have the material routed next week I'll post some pictures of the progress.

Comment

Working...
                          Searching...Please wait.
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                          Search Result for "|||"