X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • fromans4
    • Mar 2005

Need help with subwoofer upgrade

My main speakers are Audio Artistry Dvorak's. For those of you not familiar with these speakers, they are a dipole design utilizing two full range towers and two subwoofers. Each subwoofer contains two 12" drivers. The system also includes an electronic crossover.

For the most part I think these speakers sound very good, but I have always thought they could use a little more bass impact. Their ability to produce low frequency is good but they lack the punch you feel in your gut.

I am looking for sugestions for replacing the subwoofer drivers to address this issue. I have been looking into the Dayton Titanic MKIII or the RSS315HS. I have seen a lot of posts refering to the Adire DPL12 as being a good speaker for dipole configurations but I have not been able to find these online. Sadly, it looks like Adire has gone out of business.

Anyway, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Brent
  • ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Originally posted by fromans4
    Their ability to produce low frequency is good but they lack the punch you feel in your gut.
    'Punch' or 'concussive effect' is a function of frequencies in the 60Hz-120Hz range. So it's as much the low frequencies being reproduced by the mains, as it is the separate low frequency module.

Like Linktwitz's current designs, the Dvorak is a completely integrated system with custom electronics specific to the drivers being used. This means finding substitute drivers for the sub is all but impossible given the 25 watts available per driver.

Your best bet is upgrade to the Beethovens or buy/build the Orion + and augment the bottom end with a real sub.

BTW the forum admin doesn't permit signatures to advertise business.
    Last edited by ThomasW; 08 March 2009, 12:59 Sunday.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• fromans4
      • Mar 2005

The Dvorak's do not use an integrated or built-in amplifier. They do have a custom electronic crossover. I am running two stereo Spectron Digital One amplifiers one feeding the mains and one feeding the sub's. This amp is rated at 250 watts per channel RMS. The speakers are wired directly to these amplifiers. It's still possible that these speakers use custom drivers. I guess I will know a lot more after I have disassembled them.

Brent

Note: Thanks for the heads up on my signature. I will change it ASAP.

Comment

• ThomasW
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

The Dvorak's do not use an integrated or built-in amplifier. They do have a custom electronic crossover.
        Ok I misread an article, re-reading it said the subs could be driven to full excursion with 25 watts/per driver.

We need to find out if Linkwitz designed any specific EQ into the sub crossovers. If not that makes finding replacement drivers easier.

Unfortunately Adire has been out of business for about 5 years. Fortunately Dan has been designing drivers with Kevin Haskins. The Shiva-X is a driver you might consider. Kevin offers discounts for multiple driver purchases.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• fromans4
          • Mar 2005

I have access to some technical support for these speakers but I am not sure of the depth of there knowledge when it comes to the design of the crossover. I'll give them a call tomorrow and see if I can find out if the crossover provided any equalization or anything else that would make this impracticle.

I will take a look at the Shiva-X, is this a new version of the Shiva that was made by Adire. I used to use those drivers a lot. It was a great low-cost sub driver.

Thanks,
          Brent

Comment

• ThomasW
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2000

is this a new version of the Shiva that was made by Adire.
            It's a completely different driver. Much higher Xmax, and XBL^2 voice coil technology

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

• Rick Craig
              • Jul 2006

I see both of Audio Artistry's owners on a weekly basis so if you like I can speak with them about your options.

Comment

• Dennis H
                Ultra Senior Member
                • Aug 2002

Aren't the 'subs' in the Dvoraks dipole? If so, rather than tearing into the Dvoraks, I'd build a sealed sub or two to take the low-end load off the dipoles. That's how SL does it these days in his own system -- Orions crossed to stereo sealed subs at 50Hz. You'd need an active crossover and two more amp channels but that wouldn't cost too much using pro gear.

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"