Plastiline as a damping material in vented boxes?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • fjhuerta
    Super Senior Member
    • Jun 2006

Plastiline as a damping material in vented boxes?

Yesterday night, I was considering using a couple of huge old calendars we have at the office (made out of chipboard) as a basis for some real Recession Buster cabinets.

Unfortunately, I realized the baffle would be around 4 mm. thick. Pretty useless.

My boss asked "hey, maybe you could use something to add rigidity to the board. How about some foam? Or plastiline clay?

Hmm. Plastiline clay.

I began wondering - would plastiline clay be a good idea as a damping material on a vented box? I can imagine that if I heated it and applied it to the walls, it would make a killer, cheap damping compound.

Am I on the right track?
    Javier Huerta
  • fjhuerta
    Super Senior Member
    • Jun 2006

Can't I have an original idea?

When I last did this (something like 20 years ago) I used a combination of Plastilina and Plast-I-Clay, and it worked just fine, and they were reasonably comparable. In any case, I did have an issue with it falling off the inside of the enclosure in hot (over 100 degree) weather, but neither seemed to be superior in that regard.

Of course, it does EXACTLY what Frank claims, and had quite remarkable effects on the overall "coloration" of the sound, i.e., the "boxy" sound and many stray resonances completely went away. If speaker manufacturers were really smart, they would use it at the factory. It would be trivial to build a double-walled enclosure with standoffs between the parts, and cast the clay in place. That way it would stay forever. I think it would be far more effective than wooden internal bracing - the panels themselves would be dead, instead of taking "ringy" panels and trying to restrain them.
    Apparently, Von Schweikert (sp?) uses plastiline of some sort on their boxes, too.

My next box will have plastiline inside it, no doubt about it.
    Javier Huerta

Comment

• BigguyZ
      • Jan 2009

How exactly would that work? You just mold it to the inside of the box? How thick, and would you have to adjust volume of the box?

Comment

• bluewizard
        • Mar 2008

I don't know if it can be trusted, but here is a supposed recipe for Plastiline -

10 lbs microcrystalline wax
        1/2 gal. #10wt oil
        4 lbs plain automotive grease
        25 lbs dry clay powder (such as Kentucky ball clay)

That seems like a lot of petroleum products. I wonder if you could substitute mineral oil and petroleum jelly for common oil and grease?

While mineral oil and petroleum jelly are still petroleum products they are mostly inert and safe to ingest. Also, it is possible to get vegetable based petroleum jelly.

It would be nice to find a way to roll the plastiline into nice uniform thin sheets. How thick would this substance have to be, in order to be effective; 1/8th inch, 1/4 inch, a 1/2 inch?

Next, I wonder if you could embed some common plastic window screen into the surface of the clay, then staple the screen to the speaker frame to prevent the Plastiline from pulling away?

Just curious.

Steve/bluewizard

Comment

• ThomasW
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

This isn't going to stiffen the cabinet walls, it will of course add mass lowering the Fs...

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• bluewizard
            • Mar 2008

I agree stiffening is not the issue. I assumed the benefit was from a soft dense mass between the drivers and the outside world. The clay prevents sound vibrations from penetrating the cabinet walls, but by shear density and mass rather than absorption or rigidity.

This is like lining the walls of the speakers with lead, or some type of sound proofing membrane.

Am I on the right track, or is there something I'm not seeing

Steve/bluewizard

Comment

• ThomasW
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2000

Originally posted by bluewizard
              Am I on the right track, or is there something I'm not seeing
              You're correct, my statement was in reference to the OP's original post

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• bluewizard
                • Mar 2008

Am I also right in thinking that even with walls lined with Plastiline clay, you still need sound absorption material like fiberglass, felt, Poly-fill, acoutic foam, etc...?

Comment

• ThomasW
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Aug 2000

Yes, both forms of damping are needed.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

• fjhuerta
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Jun 2006

Originally posted by ThomasW
                    You're correct, my statement was in reference to the OP's original post
                    Hi Thomas,

Maybe I wasn't clear. My boss' idea was to use plastiline as a stiffening agent. My idea was to use plastiline as damping instead.

So, if I understand correctly, a box lined with plastiline and a layer of acoustic foam would help lower Fs and remove resonances?
                    Javier Huerta

Comment

• fjhuerta
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Jun 2006

Yeah, I can't have an original idea.

Javier Huerta

Comment

Working...
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"