X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • zman27
    • Feb 2009

Help designing my first DIY project

I am new to the whole DIY scene and I was thinking about trying to design my first project, but need a little help getting started. I am a college student on a tight budget so I am not expecting anything spectacular or mind blowing, just a decent pair of speakers for a good price, with the added benefit of getting to build them. I have gotten many suggestions from other people saying that I should start with a kit/a proven design, but I was looking and didn't really find anything that peaked my interest or fulfilled what I was looking for.

I was looking to build a three-way speakers about 20"-30" tall. I am looking to spend ~$100-$120 for speaker/crossover components. I realize that I wont get amazing quality for that money, and I am fine with that. The speakers will be used in many varying environments/rooms over the next few years so something that isn't very specialized would be best.

If you guys can provide any help/direction/designs it would be greatly appreciated.

Also, I have a question about modifying a pair of speakers that is in my current system:
    My system currently is:

2x Cambridge Soundworks M-55 Bookshelves
    1x Bose Acoustimass Center
    2x Technics SB-LX7 Floorstanding 3-way speakers
    1x Sony WM-250 100Watt Subwoofer

Would it be a good idea/an improvement to swap out some of the speakers on the Technics? Does anyone have experience with these speakers and have any suggestions of what I can do to them to make them a bit better?

Once again, any help is appreciated. I'm sorry for my inexperience, I am trying to get into the DIY speaker hobby and am trying to use this as a starting/jumping in point.
  • ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

$100-$120 per speaker or per pair?

You should consider a 2-way, 3-ways double the crossover cost.

To reinforce what others have said, unless you have a spare several hundred bucks to spend on test equipment, it's a good idea to build someone's proven designs.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• zman27
      • Feb 2009

I was looking to spend $100-$120 on parts (Not including building materials) per pair. I am not looking for amazing quality speakers that will make people's jaws drop. I am just looking to build a pair that sounds decent. I dont really see why the $100s of dollars in testing equipment is necessary if I am not looking for the utmost quality. I am sure that I will be fine just using the theoretical calculations/suggested sizes even if there is a little drop in quality when translated to real life. What I was looking at using are these:
      Tweeter: http://www.parts-express.com/pe/psho...number=270-155
      Midrange: http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=280-250
      Woofer: http://www.parts-express.com/pe/psho...number=290-305
      Crossover: http://www.parts-express.com/pe/psho...number=260-210

I know its not advisable to use a pre-built crossover because it won't fit what I am doing exactly, but for these speakers would it work? I realize that I am going about this process a bit backwards, but I am trying to save money while still building it myself. I am open to trying a proven design, but I haven't been able to find anything that is what I am looking for in my price range.

Comment

• Operandi
        • May 2007

$100-120 is pretty tough, you would have a lot more options in the $200 range, for though $120 a two-way is really the only viable option.

Generic crossovers are a bad idea, the end result would be significantly less than "decent".

I'm not sure what the price works out to but take a look at the vented TriTrix MTM in the Mission Accomplished forum. It's a very nice speaker that should be close to your budget.

Another option would be Madisound's Recession Buster kit, you could pair with a DIY sub down the road to fill in the bottom end.

Comment

• fbov
          • Jun 2008

You might consider these:
          Free support for loudspeaker projects, sourcing OEM speaker building supplies, and passive crossover design. We sell raw speaker drivers (tweeters, woofers, subwoofer, midrange drivers, full range drivers), speaker kits, amplifiers, capacitors, resistors, and inductors.

$75 for the pair with binding posts, delivered. Well respected drivers, a decent crossover from all reports and a good starting place if, like me, you want to learn how to play with XO design. You'll find a lot of people talking about them right now.

HAve fun,
          Frank
          Last edited by fbov; 21 February 2009, 15:31 Saturday.

Comment

• ThomasW
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2000

Originally posted by zman27
            I am sure that I will be fine just using the theoretical calculations/suggested sizes even if there is a little drop in quality when translated to real life.
            Those will work fine if you're building a low cost car audio system. Designing a home audio system isn't like ordering Chinese food where you randomly choose items from column A or B. Instead there needs to be a careful blending of components matched and designed to work as a 'system', otherwise it won't sound good.
            I am open to trying a proven design, but I haven't been able to find anything that is what I am looking for in my price range.
            Your options are

1) change your expectations, a good sounding 3-way for $65 is a pipe-dream
            2) change your budget.

FWIW, it's likely what you're proposing to buy and build, won't sound as good as what you have now...

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• zman27
              • Feb 2009

I actually had a question about the SB-LX7 I have now. One of them has a busted tweeter; It still works most of the time but other times it can be very grating. I bought them second hand and it looks like someone tried to patch the damaged tweeter. What is the best way to determine a good replacement for the tweeter? And I am assuming that it would be best to replace both of the tweeters for matching purposes?

I will look at the kits/designs you suggested. I will also check and see if I can free up a bit more budget. What would my options be if I pushed it up to around $150-$170, or even up to $200-$250?

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"