X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jdp
    • Oct 2007

NatP Crossover Question

I think I've bottomed the drivers on my NatPs. I'm testing the crossovers, and with a T-amp, there is no problem. The bass is slightly thin, but I attribute that to the T-amp.

However, when I switched to the Onkyo TX-SR505 that I plan to use to power them, several seconds into Bach's Toccata and Fugue in D minor, I heard a thump, the woofers moved a lot, and the music stopped for a moment. This happened at a crossover of 200Hz, so I'm assuming it's a crossover problem, not a full-range problem.

Is that "bottoming the drivers?" If so, I assume it's disastrously bad. What might I have done wrong, and what should I do to fix it?

I'll attempt to post some photo-bucket photos below - I hope this is the correct photo posting etiquette.

Images not available
    Last edited by theSven; 26 June 2023, 18:38 Monday. Reason: Remove broken image links
  • Ray_D
    • Apr 2005

Can not access your pictures.

Comment

• geno742
      • Aug 2006

Whoa.....
      I cross my Nat. P's at 80hz.

Have heard of others crossing at 60hz, but none at 200hz.

Tried it once at 120 hz just to see how they sounded.
      I think they sound best at 80hz with my system.

Emotiva LMC/LPA-1 driving Nat.P's, 15" dvc LLT subwoofer and chris' center.
      Oh how sweet it is....

Comment

• jdp
        • Oct 2007

200Hz was an experiment to see whether a higher crossover would stop the bottoming.

It turned out that it was an air pressure problem - I was using weatherstrip to seal the woofers, and in one area I let it slip into the woofer hole, so the seal was bad. When I fixed that, the bottoming stopped.

Comment

• fbov
          • Jun 2008

Actually, that doesn't make sense. Bottoming is reaching Xmech, the mechanical limit of cone motion.

My NatP's are ported, so I have a big hole in the box. I designed it for full-range bass extension a the risk of reaching Xmech at full power (I never expect they'll actually see 100W at 20Hz). At 85dB, I'm not seeing much movement in the cone, although the low bass is both prodigous and deep. That's how ports work.

If you had a small leak, it would be hard to hear, much less causing max excursion.

Have fun,
          Frank

Comment

• cheno848
            • Feb 2009

have you ever looked at your receiver when this happens? Sounds like your onkyo could be going into protect mode. Maybe cranking up the sound on the 4ohms is just too much for it.

Comment

• ---k---
              Ultra Senior Member
              • Nov 2005

Originally posted by jdp
              When I fixed that, the bottoming stopped.
              :T
              I hope you got it.
              - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
              CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
              CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

• JonP
                • Apr 2006

Originally posted by cheno848
                have you ever looked at your receiver when this happens? Sounds like your onkyo could be going into protect mode. Maybe cranking up the sound on the 4ohms is just too much for it.
                Yeah, it does sound more like overload protection. Bottoming should sound like a harsh CRACK or POP... or other horrible noises on sound peaks. And sometimes noise forever after... if you did some damage.

Check your manual for the amp, and see if you are rated for 4 ohm speakers, or have a setting on the amp for lower impedance speakers. I have a later Onkyo model that needs a settings change for that. Should help the amp be more comfortable when driving more power to them.

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"