Recommendation needed - Upgrade drivers?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • audioman19
    • Feb 2009

Recommendation needed - Upgrade drivers?

I have a Revel F50's that use Audax drivers. I was wondering if I could upgrade the drivers to Scan-Speak Revelators that closely match the Audax thiel small numbers to improve sound quality. I wanted to use the Revel's due to the quality build of the cabinets.

If I can get good matched San-Speak replacement drivers do you think I will improve the sound or have a better chance of making it worse.

Thanks in advance.......
  • Scooter
    • Aug 2007

Without knowing too much about your development abilities I would guess you are not up to the task of developing a crossover for the new drivers (which needs to be developed from scratch!) at the level Revel does. And that would be necessary for any improvement (if any).

Comment

• ThomasW
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

Typically upgrading drivers requires a complete redesign and virtually total rebuild of the speaker. Not something for the n00b.

Looking at the tests of these I've not sure what you'd want to improve. http://www.ultimateavmag.com/speaker...23/index5.html

IMO you're better off doing a scratch build of a new speaker instead of messing around with the F50's

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• fjhuerta
        Super Senior Member
        • Jun 2006

What about selling the Revels and building Zaph's ZRT?
        Javier Huerta

Comment

• Undefinition
          • Dec 2006

Sorry, speakers are not like tuner cars or custom-built PCs. You can't just drop in higher-performance parts and get higher performance.

this might help. start at the top, although your question doesn't come in until about halfway down.
          Isn't it about time we started answering rhetorical questions?
          Paul Carmody's DIY Speaker Site

Comment

• audioman19
            • Feb 2009

Thanks to all.......I will find a complete DIY kit from everyone's recommendations and start from there.

Comment

• ---k---
              Ultra Senior Member
              • Nov 2005

Many of the DIY designs posted here are better then most kits. The NatP is even designed to fit the PE 1 CUFT enclosure. All you have to do is cut the front baffle. You really should consider building from scratch.

One exception is Jed's Clearwave Speakers. These are kits, but very high quality. Jed is one of us and has some designed posted here. So far, I don't believe he has gotten greedy and is selling his kits for only the price of the parts - a real steal. Click on the banner at the top and email Jed for more info.
              - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
              CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
              CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

• Jed
                Ultra Senior Member
                • Apr 2005

Originally posted by ---k---

So far, I don't believe he has gotten greedy and is selling his kits for only the price of the parts - a real steal.
                Thanks Ryan. Yeah, I'm a bit of a "starving artist" in speaker building. My kits are retail of parts right now- and I intend to keep it that way for all the finished products. Custom stuff/new builds are a bit more because of the time involved with the taking of new measurements- but even then my pricing is way below the competition. DIY is still a hobby for me, but the hope is that someday it may become a full-time adventure. That's certainly not an easy undertaking considering this economy and all. However, the economy may actually help somewhat, because people will realize how far their dollars go in a DIY speaker. We'll see.

Comment

• Dennis H
                  Ultra Senior Member
                  • Aug 2002

Just to echo what others have said, I wouldn't touch the Revels. They have very high resale value in stock form but the price you could get for them would drop dramatically if you 'improved' them.

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"